• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What have you done to your Elgrand today?

Had my air con re-gassed this morning. ICE cold now. Ready for summer. If we get one:worried:

Cool Brendan :cool::cool:

Had mine re gassed last summer & it worked great. I've run it regularly over the winter to keep it working well but it's not cooling now. I'll get them to check the dreaded rear pipe when it goes in for MOT this year. I haven't noticed anything pooling on the drive though.

So the question is how long should it last between re gassing for average driving? :)

Had mine re gassed last summer & it worked great. I've run it regularly over the winter to keep it working well but it's not cooling now. I'll get them to check the dreaded rear pipe when it goes in for MOT this year. I haven't noticed anything pooling on the drive though.

So the question is how long should it last between re gassing for average driving? :)
As far as I'm aware it should last years if the system is gas-tight!

Rule of thumb Phil is always have it re-gassed every 2-3 years dependant on weather and driving. Like you I ALWAYS run my E51 heating system front and rear both at same time as well as in aircon mode. Both at same time and never independently. It says this in the book in order that it keeps everything working and running sweet. The gas also has a dye in it and oil which keeps the compressor lubricated and running freely. Often overlooked which is why compressor clutches seize up and fail.

If you have no fluid on the ground then chances are your OK Phil compressor seals can perish, dry up through lack of use thus it will loose its pressure and not be cold. Best thing to do is get it re-gassed again but they check for system content FIRST ( pressure test ) to ascertain if its all ok before they attempt re-gassing it.

I looked inside my little chassis flap yesterday situated left rear of left rear wheel on the underfloor of the chassis and all was lovely and new looking in there pipework wise and along the runs of all the pipes too with NO signs anywhere of leaks.

As far as I'm aware it should last years if the system is gas-tight!
Not so Declan. Nothing lasts for ever in a gas tight environment unless its well serviced on a regular basis and every 3 years is the standard interval as far as ive always known it to be. Better safe than sorry and for the cost of a re-gas these days its money well spent in the long run.

Rule of thumb Phil is always have it re-gassed every 2-3 years dependant on weather and driving. Like you I ALWAYS run my E51 heating system front and rear both at same time as well as in aircon mode. Both at same time and never independently. It says this in the book in order that it keeps everything working and running sweet. The gas also has a dye in it and oil which keeps the compressor lubricated and running freely. Often overlooked which is why compressor clutches seize up and fail.

If you have no fluid on the ground then chances are your OK Phil compressor seals can perish, dry up through lack of use thus it will loose its pressure and not be cold. Best thing to do is get it re-gassed again but they check for system content FIRST ( pressure test ) to ascertain if its all ok before they attempt re-gassing it.

I looked inside my little chassis flap yesterday situated left rear of left rear wheel on the underfloor of the chassis and all was lovely and new looking in there pipework wise and along the runs of all the pipes too with NO signs anywhere of leaks.

Thanks for the info Brendan, I'll pass it on to the Mobile Mechanic I use when he next takes it for MOT. :)

Thanks for the info Brendan, I'll pass it on to the Mobile Mechanic I use when he next takes it for MOT. :)
Lots of mobile air con guys out there Phil who can come to your home and re-gas it for you. Don't leave it too long as it will only get worse and cost you more in the end. 99% of problems are due only to needing a re-gas carried out.

Well today I fitted a usb port in place of the jap phone charger.
USB
20180427_172735.jpg
Used the rubber holder to keep it secure.
20180427_172746.jpg
Now my nexus 7 that runs music and my sat nav can sit down the side of the passenger seat out of sight charging and cast to the front screen via Wi-Fi.
20180427_172849.jpg
I got one of these Bluetooth controllers to skip the tracks remotely.

Remotes-l640.jpg

remote.jpg
Cut the ring off the top and Velcro used to attach it to the dash.
It can be used as a mouse too but a bit fiddly.

Not so Declan. Nothing lasts for ever in a gas tight environment unless its well serviced on a regular basis and every 3 years is the standard interval as far as ive always known it to be. Better safe than sorry and for the cost of a re-gas these days its money well spent in the long run.
3 years is still years! 😁

Absolutely agree on regular use to avoid seals drying out. However, I'm not convinced running the rear constantly will prolong it's life - if anything possibly the opposite. Seems to be condensation forming on the outer skin may actually be a cause of failure. This could well be accellerated by use.

I've never turned the aircon off in any car I've owned and my Elgrand has been no different. Mine still broke.

Drove from West Kent to Heathrow and back to collect my parents! Longest drive we've done yet, and in the dark. It wasn't until the road was less busy, ie, almost back to A21, that we realised the lights weren't very bright and discovered we'd probably just been driving with side lights on! When home we double checked what lights worked with what, now we know!

Is there any way to change when the auto lights come on? as it seems to only work when it's really quite dark.

Well today booked in to have full Custom CAT back system done on 1st May. 😁

Went to a few body shops to get quotes for front bumper fix/respray. Also looked to get scratches blended in.

Now on the hunt for alloys, just not mentioning to partner how much this is costing 🤪
Just wondered how you get scratches blended in. I have a couple of panels with fairly deep scratches. They don´t notice too much (didn´t see them when I bought the car - numbnuts). Reluctant to go for full panel resprays, although a local guy did a fantastic job on my tailgate and rear bumper for a very reasonable price.

Back