• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

"Tractor" diary. Elgrand from Siberia. E50.

Hello)Here is autumn. And as Brian Setzer sang:

"Days turn cold, nights grow long
Like an old Sinatra song"
Replaced turbo in august. Flushed and cleaned the entire air supply system. There were some problems with removing the old turbine, but the grinder helped and I just cut it off)
Installed air bellows in the rear springs. I set the pressure to 0.5 .. recently I had to transport 600 kg of cargo (steel flanges, bolts, etc.) - the suspension has become more elastic, there are no breakdowns.
Made and installed plugs on the EGR.
Work on the body had to be stopped.. I plan to do something with the body in September/October.

This is the end??
Greetings, friends)
Eliminated almost all oil leaks. All that remains is to change the front oil seal and the seals on the vacuum pump (I ordered everything, I’m waiting).Installed an oil catcher in the crankcase ventilation. (May Greenpeace forgive me, before this I dumped crankcase gases under the car). In total, over 1200 km, 15 ml of oil accumulated in the oil catcher.On Saturday I decided to do a compression test. Indications 28-29-28-29. According to the book, the norm is 30, minimum 25. When adding oil before measuring compression, the readings increased to 32-33, which of course indicates wear of the piston system parts.And that’s where I started thinking. Ahead...maybe in a year or two awaits 1. engine repair 2. Purchase of a used engine. 3. sale of tractor.
1. Repair. - the cost is high. The guarantees are questionable, since all the parts will not be original from Japan, but from China, Indonesia..
2. Used engine. The cost is huge - about 50% of the cost of the car, if not more. There are no guarantees.
3. Sale. Seems like a more logical action.
However, the Tractor works these months like a truck.

Let's think... Winter is coming)

Just keep putting oil in it, as you say it still runs good, so keep it alive.👍🏻

edit = is it possible to direct catch can oil back through oil filler so I feeds its self?
This is impossible. since crankcase gases will try to push the oil out) Well, I installed an oil collector and will periodically wash it)Things aren’t so bad for me so far... or rather, there’s no oil geyser)

You could get years out of it yet, worse case is it picks up oil and runs on it and self destructs, or gets so bad it won't start.
The engine is still peppy. It starts in cold weather without problems.. But every year it will get worse. I need to have time to do something so as not to be left with a dead engine.. It can drive with low compression, but then there will be costs for oil + diesel fuel, since the efficiency of fuel combustion will decrease.

Hello)Autumn came, then late autumn. And now everything is covered in snow)
And I began to notice that the antifreeze was “escaping” from the expansion tank, not quickly, but the level was decreasing.I thought about it at first. Then I began to look closer.. Then I began to sniff.. Then I bent down. Then I looked down under the 2nd heater. The problem has been found. Something was dripping in the 2nd heater. There are not many options here - a radiator or a tube.
I decided to get to the 2nd heater. At the same time, take a look at the motor, as it creaked and rattled in the severe cold.
A few tears, screams, disappointments and the side panel was removed (I had a lot of questions for Nissan engineers - why put the heater in so deep, what’s wrong with you??)
In general, I did not find any antifreeze leaks, but the entire heater niche was covered in antifreeze and dirt. I dismantled the motor and ordered a new one. We also had to disconnect the antifreeze tubes and loop them, thereby eliminating the heater from working. The search for a heater radiator has begun...
Everything would be fine, you thought. But....
One day I was driving a tractor and heard an incomprehensible knocking sound in the area of the rear right side... I discovered that the body fastening of the body had rotted in the area where the 2nd (damn) heater is located.. Thanks to the mixture of dirt, antifreeze and water, as well as a low bow and respect to Nissan for the “quality” of the metal.
Well, the procedure is standard. A little metal cutting, a little welding, tears, sparkling water (unfortunately Coca Cola left us)..BUT...
At some point during welding, due to an increase in the temperature of the metal (which is logical), the 2-layer bitumen insulation caught fire (the previous owner kindly covered the insulation from the inside of the car).. As a result, a mini fire of the 2nd heater. I had to run into the house for a fire extinguisher, since there was nothing really that could be done to put it out. I removed the plugs from below and inserted a fire extinguisher hose through the holes and extinguished it....
RESULT. The housing of the 2nd heater melted. I ordered a used 2nd heater + motor housing and motor.
Morality. Are you going to do fire work? Have a fire extinguisher nearby or get burned.
..Winter is coming..

Duly noted! I have 4 extinguishers in my workshop and one in the boot of the E50.

I think it will check my heater installation for rust issues now that you mentioned it.

I hope your parts arrive quickly!

Your van is invincible…. Open heart surgery, blood transfusion, replaced many body parts, incontenance, creaking joints and now you’ve set it on fire…ITS STILL ALIVE.

Are you sure it’s not a Hilux ?

Keep going.👍

Hello)Autumn came, then late autumn. And now everything is covered in snow)
And I began to notice that the antifreeze was “escaping” from the expansion tank, not quickly, but the level was decreasing.I thought about it at first. Then I began to look closer.. Then I began to sniff.. Then I bent down. Then I looked down under the 2nd heater. The problem has been found. Something was dripping in the 2nd heater. There are not many options here - a radiator or a tube.
I decided to get to the 2nd heater. At the same time, take a look at the motor, as it creaked and rattled in the severe cold.
A few tears, screams, disappointments and the side panel was removed (I had a lot of questions for Nissan engineers - why put the heater in so deep, what’s wrong with you??)
In general, I did not find any antifreeze leaks, but the entire heater niche was covered in antifreeze and dirt. I dismantled the motor and ordered a new one. We also had to disconnect the antifreeze tubes and loop them, thereby eliminating the heater from working. The search for a heater radiator has begun...
Everything would be fine, you thought. But....
One day I was driving a tractor and heard an incomprehensible knocking sound in the area of the rear right side... I discovered that the body fastening of the body had rotted in the area where the 2nd (damn) heater is located.. Thanks to the mixture of dirt, antifreeze and water, as well as a low bow and respect to Nissan for the “quality” of the metal.
Well, the procedure is standard. A little metal cutting, a little welding, tears, sparkling water (unfortunately Coca Cola left us)..BUT...
At some point during welding, due to an increase in the temperature of the metal (which is logical), the 2-layer bitumen insulation caught fire (the previous owner kindly covered the insulation from the inside of the car).. As a result, a mini fire of the 2nd heater. I had to run into the house for a fire extinguisher, since there was nothing really that could be done to put it out. I removed the plugs from below and inserted a fire extinguisher hose through the holes and extinguished it....
RESULT. The housing of the 2nd heater melted. I ordered a used 2nd heater + motor housing and motor.
Morality. Are you going to do fire work? Have a fire extinguisher nearby or get burned.
..Winter is coming..
Boris, they need to make a documentary about you and your tractor!

Your van is invincible…. Open heart surgery, blood transfusion, replaced many body parts, incontenance, creaking joints and now you’ve set it on fire…ITS STILL ALIVE.

Are you sure it’s not a Hilux ?

Keep going.👍
This is not a Hilux) This is a Nissan) I have suspicions that the Tractor died a long time ago and I’m just torturing a dead car O.O
But it's still alive.
I gave myself and El a mental attitude - to ride for another 3-4 years until I finish the work related to the house and land..
And then there will be a pension) Probably :imp:

A small but warm victory.

And so... -25, -31.. Winter is coming.On Monday it was -25.. I was driving along the highway to the city.. Since the rear heater did not work, all hope was on the front one. But when standing in a traffic jam there was no heat from the front heater...In general, I freaked out, went and bought a new radiator for the front heater - Chinese. Not specifically for the Elgrand E50. I bought it from Cefiro, it fits perfectly.
You just need to replace the antifreeze valve and the lower pipe from the old radiator.
This morning -31. Fan in 2nd position. It's hot in the car. This is victory. Tomorrow I'll install the rear heater.

Back