• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Please say a prayer: 20mph in Wales

If you were a gizmo maker and your product made speedos read under, you wouldn’t be very popular.

There's quite a lot of GPS speedos around that can be set to show speed in either kph or nautical mph (knots) and cannot be set to show speed in mph. But the settings switch on them reads kph / mph instead of kph / nautical mph or kph / knots. 1 Knot is around 1.15 mph so if someone believes their speedo reads in mph when really it reads in nautical mph (knots) they might end up speeding lol.

Just been reading the FAQs on the Wales Gov website...
Will all the road signs be in place for 17 September?
20mph signs will no longer be needed on roads where the default is now 20mph. Speed limit signs will be in place where the speed limit changes.
Not all signs will be changed on 17 September, but local authorities are working hard to get all the signs in place as soon as they can.

If you got caught doing more than 20 on a road where signs have not yet been changed I would think you'd be able to successfully contest it. Evidence though would be essential.

Also...

Why are bicycles allowed to overtake me when I am driving at 20mph?
Speed limits in the Road Traffic Regulations and the Highway Code apply to motor vehicles only and not to bicycles.

I wasn't aware of that! Seems silly to me considering the damage a cyclist can do even at relatively low speeds. Someone i know was hit by a cyclist ploughing through a pedestrian crossing in central London a while ago. Cyclists helmet struck her on the face and broke her jaw!
Cyclist rode off leaving her in agony on the ground.

Bet the likes Amazon and DPD drivers are unhappy about it, must be a nightmare.

Well after pushing a week of it, one thing I can say, and thought I'd never, ever say is 'thank you AUDI drivers'.
3X today I had the 'lead man' an AUDI driver, with me the immediate car behind (and an infinite number behind me) it. Credit where credit is due, 20mph and these AUDI drivers are not exactly mutually exclusive, so the lead AUDIs were happily doing their AUDI stuff, leaving everyone for dust, up to and including the de facto emergency stop at junctions. I of course had no snail in front of me, so my stress levels were zero :) Suffice to say behind me, was something that resembled funeral processions.
Thank you, thank you AUDI drivers, all is forgiven 👍

Just back from Ireland. Didn’t take the Ellie. All the cities have purposely discoordinated traffic lights gridlocking the whole metropolis. Cork, Dublin, Galway and Killarney etc all the same. EU Directive say the locals.

Btw. The drive from the ferry port through Wales from Holyhead had no such 20mph nonsense. The silly 50mph bits at Prestatyn and near the border with England are still there. Otherwise commerce and necessity prevail. Drakeford.

Just back from Ireland. Didn’t take the Ellie. All the cities have purposely discoordinated traffic lights gridlocking the whole metropolis. Cork, Dublin, Galway and Killarney etc all the same. EU Directive say the locals.
Is that a new thing with the traffic lights? Was driving through Dublin six months ago and didn't notice anything different??

Just back from Ireland. .... All the cities have purposely discoordinated traffic lights .... EU Directive say the locals.
Yeah, I'm calling bullshit on that being an EU directive 🤣

I wasn't aware of that! Seems silly to me considering the damage a cyclist can do even at relatively low speeds.
The speeding legislation doesn't applies only to motor vehicles. I guess the thinking was that 30mph is hard to reach on the flat in a non-motorised vehicle.

Now with 20 zones, it might be worth looking at again, though there are specific laws for people on bikes riding like a twat, which probably make them easier to prosecute than if they were in a car.

Well after pushing a week of it, one thing I can say, and thought I'd never, ever say is 'thank you AUDI drivers'.
3X today I had the 'lead man' an AUDI driver, with me the immediate car behind (and an infinite number behind me) it. Credit where credit is due, 20mph and these AUDI drivers are not exactly mutually exclusive, so the lead AUDIs were happily doing their AUDI stuff, leaving everyone for dust, up to and including the de facto emergency stop at junctions. I of course had no snail in front of me, so my stress levels were zero :) Suffice to say behind me, was something that resembled funeral processions.
Thanks, I’m not quite sure you are referring to me as I drive my Audi like I stole it, but thanks anyway.

The speeding legislation doesn't applies only to motor vehicles. I guess the thinking was that 30mph is hard to reach on the flat in a non-motorised vehicle.

Now with 20 zones, it might be worth looking at again, though there are specific laws for people on bikes riding like a twat, which probably make them easier to prosecute than if they were in a car.

Electric bikes can go fast, seems most towns have menace riders that would soon be moaning (probably literally while licking their wounds) if car drivers didn't follow the rules... while they do crazy over/under-takes, ignore traffic lights and crossings, use oncoming traffic lanes at junctions, ride on the right of keep left signs and switch between driving on the road and causeway. Any kind of riding as long as they don't have to slow for anything.

I am definitely taking my bike next time we go to the Barn, cyclists exempt…. Like the sound of that, not sure what the top speed is on my bike because I’m frightened of it, but I do know it’s more that 20MPH. 🤭

IMG_0438.jpeg
👍

Some of us Audi drivers even know how to indicate you know......!!

I am definitely taking my bike next time we go to the Barn, cyclists exempt…. Like the sound of that, not sure what the top speed is on my bike because I’m frightened of it, but I do know it’s more that 20MPH. 🤭

View attachment 93874
👍
Ebikes are actually classed as vehicles not bikes. I looked into it - did you know you can't lose your driving license being found drunk riding a normal bike, but you can lose your license drink driving an ebike.

Got to admit I have found something cyclists hate more than Audis. Completely silent Audis they can't hear coming up behind them.....!!

Ebikes are actually classed as vehicles not bikes. I looked into it - did you know you can't lose your driving license being found drunk riding a normal bike, but you can lose your license drink driving an ebike.
How could you get done speeding on an E-bike which has no registration plates, unless the Police borrow a Typhoon from Valley they won’t catch me……we’ll not until my coppertops run flat.🤭

How could you get done speeding on an E-bike which has no registration plates, unless the Police borrow a Typhoon from Valley they won’t catch me……we’ll not until my coppertops tun flat.🤭
Cardiff is full of county lines drug dealing kids on illegal electric motorbikes doing 40mph on the pavements and the police don't do anything about them, so I doubt they will care. I have sat at lights next to a police car who has ignored the kids actually collecting the goods from the BMW at the side of the road to make the drop off.

Personally I think every bicycle, ebike and electric scooter should be insured and registered, but that's a whole different conversation!

Some of us Audi drivers even know how to indicate you know......!!
I went in my MX-5 today for the first time since the dictator speed. Quite frustrating as I had to maintain my manners with snails in front of me, as, as Elgranders got their community 'ways', in the MX-5 you drive in a manner which 'brings credit to the community'

Back