• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Please say a prayer: 20mph in Wales

To be honest, we have had it where I live for over a year, and you do get used to it.

At least you all can see what you will get in England soon!!
Yes, come over the border, step in, the water's nice :mask:

To be honest, we have had it where I live for over a year, and you do get used to it.
I get that in Cardiff. I used to live there and still visit. Cardiff is totally different, traffic volume wise, speed bump wise, road condition wise, traffic signal wise. You never get going in Cardiff- there's always a light or bump 100 yards away. In the Valley's the traffic is, in general, much more free flowing and much less congestive. Now it seems much more traffic is on the roads (everyone's going slower), traffic lights previously ghost towns now got 15 car lines. Traffic is on the road longer in free flowing areas. Forget this 1 minute extra spin, if one travelled exclusively in a 30 zone, and they now do the same on a 20 zone, the percentage change is [(30-20)/30]X100 = 33% (using percentage change as difference/what it was previously). So someone who spent 25 mins driving on a commute in prior 30mph roads, now spends over 33 mins. Hence you have traffic on roads longer and volume, congestion, queues etc which weren't there before. Not to mention honking, risky overtaking, driving 20mpg in 40,50,60 zones (all driver error, but issues which weren't there so much before ie replacing one 'problem'-travelling at 30mph, with a host of others).
I think this is the issue- the country wide, everywhere, one size fits all approach.

Did elected government spell out a policy for bringing in 20mph speed limits before people voted them in?
They did Simon, in this manifesto document. TBH it's the first publication of its type that I have ever read. I hope it was designed for children otherwise it's the most condescending piece I've read in a while.

Fact is though Wales has a strong Labour following who would vote for pretty much anything they say, not a criticism or political point just fact.

This doesn’t explain the scale of it tho
IMG_3138.jpeg

Fact is though Wales has a strong Labour following who would vote for pretty much anything they say, not a criticism or political point just fact.
You're making me jealous. Not a criticism or political point, just a fact.

Why?

I'm not trying to make some kind of point by asking, I genuinely don't know why you say that. Is there a push for it in the Commons etc?

Maybe you're reading into the way in which things seem to be going, e.g., some of the new rules regards cyclists etc. ?

We / they could take the stopping distances / safety info and apply it to any road / conditions. There will always be a trade off between speed / safety and rate of progress (distance we can cover in a set amount of time). But if we're 'allowed' to use cars at all we/they have to recognise that 'progress' is also an important point. I wonder how they arrived at 20mph as being the new supposedly best compromise speed.

Last edited:
Some breaking positive news- expected to push back the petrol/diesel ban till 2035!! :grinning:

Last edited:
Why?

I'm not trying to make some kind of point by asking, I genuinely don't know why you say that. Is there a push for it in the Commons etc?

Maybe you're reading into the way in which things seem to be going, e.g., some of the new rules regards cyclists etc. ?

We / they could take the stopping distances / safety info and apply it to any road / conditions. There will always be a trade off between speed / safety and rate of progress (distance we can cover in a set amount of time). But if we're 'allowed' to use cars at all we/they have to recognise that 'progress' is also an important point. I wonder how they arrived at 20mph as being the new supposedly best compromise speed.

I probably shouldn't have got political, but I meant that I think it's unlikely the Tories are going to win the next UK election, so you will in all liklihood get a Labour administration such as we have had in Wales since 1999. I would have thought what happens in Wales will probably happen in England then.

Its also probably almost certain Scotland will follow suit with a 20mph limit now too Even if the administration in England doesn't change, having different speed limits across a 'united' kingdom is only justifiable to a point, especially if statistics do find lower injuries/fatalities.

I know that Scotland already has different road laws (the lower breath alcohol limit), but I think its certain that will become UK wide one day too.

I probably shouldn't have got political, but I meant that I think it's unlikely the Tories are going to win the next UK election, so you will in all liklihood get a Labour administration such as we have had in Wales since 1999. I would have thought what happens in Wales will probably happen in England then.
OK thanks

You haven't been overly political. The 20mph issue by definition is entirely a political issue, so politics is going to come into discussion about it. Politics of course is (correctly) jumped on by mods on forums, as it usually ends up with posters going fire and brimstone at each other. It's a testament to the posters on this thread/forum that despite politics running through the veins of the thread, no one is jumping down each others throats, but are discussing in a measured way.

According to the pressure group 20s plenty...
"28 million people in the UK (more than 1 in 3 of the population) now live in Local Authorities which accept 20mph as the right speed limit where people live, work or play"

"28 million people in the UK (more than 1 in 3 of the population) now live in Local Authorities which accept 20mph as the right speed limit where people live, work or play"

1 In 3 people wouldn't win a vote though, and such pressure groups have been around for many years without their wishes coming true. There are pressure groups wanting 80mph speed limits on motorways.

Yes, I'm sure they 'accept it'

I think I'd believe something from a car salesman before I'd take the word of '20s plenty' as Gospel :)

There'll be people wanting a 10mph limit in their own town / village but some of those same people might want 40mph limits in other towns / villages.

It could depend on how the question is posed... If asked do you want a 10mph limit in your town village yes/no? They might say yes. If asked do you want a 10mph or 20mph blanket speed limit a lot of those that would answer yes to the prior question might answer no.

30Mph has been the usual compromise speed in most built up areas for many years. But have things (accidents / crashes / deaths) in excess of the norm been happening that have called for a re-assessment of the compromise or are people in government going out on a limb (bad pun) by setting a 20mph limit? Whatever government does, You're The Voice as someone once said.

Last edited:
Back