• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Please say a prayer: 20mph in Wales

Elgraman

Here for life
Premium Member
Wales
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Jas
Elgrand
E51
Region
Wales
Of course lots of you know, 20mph is now the default speed in Wales, on 'most' roads which have been previously 30mph zones. I say 'most' as there are a number of roads which individual local Welsh Councils have used the 'exception' clause and kept a particular road at 30mph (typically a 30mph major through road with lots of traffic).
Out this morning and it's a total nightmare. 'Lead' drivers doing 18mph max, with uber tailgates behind. Previously sparse queues at traffic lights are now 15 cars long. WORSE, is that not many people have done what I've done (and which isn't exactly hard)- looked which roads are being kept at 30mph- hence you have uninformed, paranoid people doing 20mph in what is STILL a 30mph road. WORSE again, you have national speed limit 60 zones (safe and wide, two lane twisites), with idiots doing 20 in them. I mean, if you were on your driving test doing 20 in a 60 zone, we all know what the test result would be.
I could say if you live in Wales and voted Labour, this is what you voted for, but I won't :scream:

Here in the land of Gaul most villages have a 30km/h limit, the 'national' limit on main roads is 80km/h or 90km/h depending on which department you are in and 110km/h on dual carriageways. Péage though is 130km/h which is nice.

I've just become used to driving slower, saves fuel.🙄

It will be very difficult to drive within 10% of 20 in an Ellie with its sensitive throttle. Might be best to use snow mode although whether that is good for the car over a long time I don’t know.
Also, Wales will likely get more crashes although most of them will be at slow speed. Driver’s attention will wander, they will look around at shops, crumpet whatever, and run into the car in front or into pedestrians who now feel they have a bigger opportunity to make a dash for it.
I feel sure that this is misguided and that most fatalities or serious accidents did not happen because the speed limit was 30, they happened because someone was doing much more than 30 or driving generally badly or pedestrians not checking properly.
Ive just had a few days holiday in and around Dolgellau and I have to say I saw some truly appalling and frightening driving by oiks with vroom tish bang exhausts and rich people in Porches (or similar). They will continue to get away with it while the general population are punished with 20.
If this post is too political, I fully understand if it is deleted.

Last edited:
When pottering around the beautiful island of Anglesey I got the impression that whoever was in charge of making the roads and then the person who decides the speed limit was definitely trying to kill me.

When you see ARAF - take note they don’t mess around.

60MPH winding narrow road, edged with dry stone walls, leading to a 90 deg bend with a cottage on the corner - this is the norm.

So they want to change the straight, wide 30MPH to 20MPH, yep that’s the Welsh road safety team for you.
🤪
The pub below was on the end of a 60 road with a 90deg bend, I think he will be having a few more gate crashes.

Last edited:
Its F-ing ridiculous, speed limits are outdated being based on cross ply tyres and drum brakes and yet they lower them?!!

Its F-ing ridiculous, speed limits are outdated being based on cross ply tyres and drum brakes and yet they lower them?!!
All part of the attempt to 'brake down' the motorist.
Driving gives that pesty thing called Freedom. Every other policy rolled out seems to be another one to make life as difficult as they can for motorists, to 'break them down'.

My opinion? Like a lot of modern life, this is another thing designed to make this particular aspect of life (driving) so annoying, so frustrating and so inconvenient that you simply decide it's not worth the bother.
If you wear a tin foil hat, you could possibly think that it's softening people up for the lovely plan of 15 minute cities?

Back