• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

    You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

    Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

    Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

WHAT THE FUCK???!!!!

I have a Parrot in my Audi, but it’s more of a distraction than an aid.

….flapping, squawking, pretty feckin polly…feathers everywhere, it would be safer to just use the phone.

Laws need to be changed - because if your passenger is giving you oral sex then it’s only against the law if he/she isn’t wearing a seat belt, I reckon oral sex whilst driving is more of a distraction than using your phone.

🫤
Maybe write to your MP
 
A husband who gets a phone call later on today to say his family has been wiped out on the commute home by a person messing with a sat nav, or a phone, probably would agree too.

How does a car stood at lights with the handbrake on wipe anything out?

I would really call it moaning either. 5 weeks ago I had a 'moan' as someone using their mobile rear ended me in my pride and joy in slow moving/stop start traffic. Probably due to his 'mind' elsewhere.

If you were rear ended, the car that rear ended you was moving.

Maybe a little off subject... Why should insurance companies care if someone has a 'no fault accident'? If it wasn't their fault, then at least on face value someone who has had a no fault accident isn't the problem, so why should they care? The reasons will include that the accident might have been avoided, even if it wasn't technically the 'no fault' person's fault, if the the 'no fault' person had done things a little differently i.e. defensive driving. People can drive totally legally and consider themselves safe whilst expecting too much of other drivers.
 
I have a Parrot in my Audi, but it’s more of a distraction than an aid.

….flapping, squawking, pretty feckin polly…feathers everywhere, it would be safer to just use the phone.

Laws need to be changed - because if your passenger is giving you oral sex then it’s only against the law if he/she isn’t wearing a seat belt, I reckon oral sex whilst driving is more of a distraction than using your phone.

🫤
I hope your parrot isn't strapped into the passenger seat.

'Pretty' you say...
 
Last edited:
I have a Parrot in my Audi, but it’s more of a distraction than an aid.

….flapping, squawking, pretty feckin polly…feathers everywhere, it would be safer to just use the phone.

Laws need to be changed - because if your passenger is giving you oral sex then it’s only against the law if he/she isn’t wearing a seat belt, I reckon oral sex whilst driving is more of a distraction than using your phone.

🫤
Yep, just ask Gill Taylforth(spelling) or that Irish bishop from decades past....🫣
 
How does a car stood at lights with the handbrake on wipe anything out?
Gwilo didn't mention anything about stopped at lights.

Again though, if you feel (not saying you do) that it 'can' be no real issue in certain cases if a person is on a mobile is stopped traffic, maybe write to your MP. It's currently illegal and not allowed. If any of the other distraction comparisons are not illegal, if you feel strongly about them too, again, maybe write to your MP.
Personally, I'd love it if they got every single person who uses a mobile, hand held, when in a car, off the road. But they 'only' get 6 points and a £200 if caught. I can't change that, but, you guessed it, I have written to my MP!
 
Gwilo didn't mention anything about stopped at lights.

Again though, if you feel (not saying you do) that it 'can' be no real issue in certain cases if a person is on a mobile is stopped traffic, maybe write to your MP. It's currently illegal and not allowed. If any of the other distraction comparisons are not illegal, if you feel strongly about them too, again, maybe write to your MP.
Personally, I'd love it if they got every single person who uses a mobile, hand held, when in a car, off the road. But they 'only' get 6 points and a £200 if caught. I can't change that, but, you guessed it, I have written to my MP!

You and then I mentioned stopped at lights.

I won't be writing to my MP because I don't care enough whether it's legal or illegal for people to glance at their phones when stood at traffic lights, it's not a big deal to me. I do agree with you that people looking at phones whilst actually moving their vehicle is dangerous but that's different and the law already agrees with you (and I) that it is illegal.

I would add to one of my comments above and say that there should maybe be a bit more emphasis put on people who tend to have a lot of no fault accidents, because they're either very unlucky or are not quite as safe as they think they are.
 
You and then I mentioned stopped at lights.

I won't be writing to my MP because I don't care enough whether it's legal or illegal for people to glance at their phones when stood at traffic lights, it's not a big deal to me. I do agree with you that people looking at phones whilst actually moving their vehicle is dangerous but that's different and the law already agrees with you (and I) that it is illegal.

I would add to one of my comments above and say that there should maybe be a bit more emphasis put on people who tend to have a lot of no fault accidents, because they're either very unlucky or are not quite as safe as they think they are.
Exactly, ban all old people, they are a danger to themselves and others.

I shall be the one in charge of setting the upper limit.
 
Is it pining for the fjords?
 
I won't be writing to my MP because I don't care enough whether it's legal or illegal for people to glance at their phones when stood at traffic lights, it's not a big deal to me. I do agree with you that people looking at phones whilst actually moving their vehicle is dangerous but that's different and the law already agrees with you (and I) that it is illegal.
Considering the first text: Unfortunately whether you-or I- care enough, or otherwise, don't come into it. It is illegal

And considering the second emboldened text, yes, that is illegal. The law makes no distinction between moving and unmoving (as in the case of the driving instructor earlier). They are both illegal.
 
Considering the first text: Unfortunately whether you-or I- care enough, or otherwise, don't come into it. It is illegal

And considering the second emboldened text, yes, that is illegal. The law makes no distinction between moving and unmoving. They are both illegal.

Thought experiments then...

Before someone so much as glances at their phone, should they need to park up and get out of the car first? If you agree with 'park up' but disagree with 'get out of the car' it's not much different from being stuck in traffic at traffic lights.

'Distractions should be removed' - so will you be disabling the radio in your car and looking into how you can make it impossible to adjust the heater controls anywhere other than on your own drive?

Anywhere else you're likely to go in the car other than on your own or friends/family's driveways is likely to be a public space, including parked up at the side of the road.

Law does make a special case for phone use in cars but the underlying point is all about due care and attention. Can a driver stood some time at traffic lights quickly (as in as quick as changing a radio station) glance at their phone to check the status screen safely? I would argue yes, but again would say the devil is in the detail. Can a driver safely watch a cliffhanger episode of Coronation Street or finish writing their report whilst driving (vehicle moving) through a town centre, of course not.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top