• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What petrol should I put in my Elgrand?

This is in reply to your email dated April 17, 2019, concerning your Nissan Elgrand. First of all, thank you for your patronage of our products.

With regard to your inquiry, we would like to provide you with the information as follows;

Octane content of premium gasoline (JIS Standard)
96-100

We hope the information will be useful for you.

Sincerely yours,

Chikako TAGUCHI
Customer Communication Center
Nissan MOTOR Co., LTD.
Screenshot (121)-crop.png

3% ethanol :eek:
I notice a while ago that Esso have now changed their highest grade to 5%, it used to be ethanol free.

Thank you all for this post, had been filling my E52 with RON 95 as previous owner had been using just the Unleaded RON 91.
Will fill with 97 from now on. :)

I have been told that Petrol degrades over a period of time,? I know that doesn't affect most but because we are lpg'd it has taken 3 months and 3000 miles for us to use less than 1/2 a tank (which was put in by the previous owner) and that's with running out of gas twice. Wonder what RON we was running on at the end. So just added £20 of V Power
The only way it degrades is with respect to starting (with in reason, ie I'm not talking multiple years). The reason it degrades WRT starting is because there is a Reid vapour pressure spec for fuel which is required for cold starting (a warm engine helps vapourize fuel), to achieve the RVP spec gasoline will usually have butane (Lpg) blended into it (more the colder the climate). Over a period of time without use, the butane can slowly vapourize away out of the tank (notice the smell and vapour haze when pumping your gas?). With less butane in your tank, cold starting can become much harder.

Everyone comparing octane numbers, be aware there is a Ron (research octane number) spec, and a Mon (motor octane number) spec, Ron relates to steady state driving while Mon relates to under load conditions, but they will not be the same number for a given fuel, and different countries may display one or the other. So you need to be sure you are comparing apples with apples.

I just bought an E51 2008 in the UK. I have read the entirety of this thread and feel deeply confused!
Sounds like being consistent is good for the CPU and maybe higher grade fuel is safer in the long run?!!

I just bought an E51 2008 in the UK. I have read the entirety of this thread and feel deeply confused!
Sounds like being consistent is good for the CPU and maybe higher grade fuel is safer in the long run?!!
I stick to 99ron

t
Thats the philosophy I am following.

There's not really a lot to be confused about. The handbook states for the VQ35 that Premium (97 RON+) is required. So use Momentum 99 and you're safe :) No need to pay extra for the Shell V-Power as that's really overpriced from what I know.

There's not really a lot to be confused about. The handbook states for the VQ35 that Premium (97 RON+) is required. So use Momentum 99 and you're safe :) No need to pay extra for the Shell V-Power as that's really overpriced from what I know.

Thanks for the advice. I have a 2.5 litre engine. Does that change anything

Thanks for the advice. I have a 2.5 litre engine. Does that change anything
I think you can use normal 95ron in the 2.5 but not 100% sure

Ran 95 in mine for 1 1/2 years now and had no problems (e51 2.5).Why pay more at the pump than whats needed. There not the cheapest of motors to run to start with. For a 3.5 id use 97+ imo.

Ran 95 in mine for 1 1/2 years now and had no problems (e51 2.5).Why pay more at the pump than whats needed. There not the cheapest of motors to run to start with. For a 3.5 id use 97+ imo.
You really need to compare cost per litre to milage per litre, as generally when consistantly running higher octane fuel you will gain better milage which can offset the increase in price per litre.

You really need to compare cost per litre to milage per litre, as generally when consistantly running higher octane fuel you will gain better milage which can offset the increase in price per litre.
Offset or exceed it (ie if you regularly study the milage you are getting, and work out the cost per km, it will often be similar or even cheaper to run the more expensive higher octane fuel), the price spread between the higher and lower octane fuels usually determines this, but on average from my experience, I find its approx the same or better on average running the higher octane fuel.

Ive ran various cars over the past 20 years using both super and normal unleaded, some being performance cars and others not and never noticably seeing an improvement in mpg when running super unleaded for long periods of time. Like i say imo.

I think you'll find that the 2.5 runs on regular gas 89 Ron in Japan but obviously we've only got premium over here. I have tried 95 and 97 Ron and didn't find any difference in performance or mpg so I only run 95 Ron and it has been running on it for 2 years, when I went round Europe 4100 miles I only ever use 95 Ron never had a problem and speeds up to 115 miles an hour.
The best way is to use both and see how your vehicle runs and use that.

Ive ran various cars over the past 20 years using both super and normal unleaded, some being performance cars and others not and never noticably seeing an improvement in mpg when running super unleaded for long periods of time. Like i say imo.
Ive ran various cars over the past 20 years using both super and normal unleaded, some being performance cars and others not and never noticably seeing an improvement in mpg when running super unleaded for long periods of time. Like i say.
If you are running a vehicle with a knock sensor it will adjust the timing on your vehicle to reduce/eliminate pre-ignition or detonation (causing knock) . Lower octane fuel will tend to pre-ignite as it is lower in aromatics and hence lower octane, your vehicle will then adjust the timing and the engine power output will reduce.

Reactions: Sid
I think you'll find that the 2.5 runs on regular gas 89 Ron in Japan but obviously we've only got premium over here. I have tried 95 and 97 Ron and didn't find any difference in performance or mpg so I only run 95 Ron and it has been running on it for 2 years, when I went round Europe 4100 miles I only ever use 95 Ron never had a problem and speeds up to 115 miles an hour.
The best way is to use both and see how your vehicle runs and use that.
In NZ we have 91 Ron, 95 Ron and 98 ron

Back