• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What petrol should I put in my Elgrand?

Just want to correct a few misconceptions regarding Elgrand VQ35de....

Facts:
Handbook states use premium unleaded.
Fuel filler cap label states use premium unleaded.
In Japan high octane or premium unleaded refers to 96 RON, while regular unleaded is around 92 RON.

Brian is absolutely correct. He can also explain the technical details. The VQ35 in the Elgrand is low compression and has a different inlet manifold compared to the VQ35 used in the Fairlady (350Z to us). 95 RON fuel is fine. I also run mine on 95 and get 18 mpg around town, 26 mpg long run. No issues in the 0-60 time.

If you run 4 cats do NOT use fuel rated over 96 RON (including LPG) as it will accelerate cat deterioration, particularly if the engine over fueling recall had not been performed.
Cheers buddy for the clarification on this subject. I think a lot of folk still FORGET that the Elgrand is a JDM vehicle ONLY. Never design for any other country. Only Japan and we all know those Japanese are years ahead of the rest of the world. However ive just filled mine up with Shell V power but never mind as I wanted to test the theory albeit deep down I knew anyway. I asked Brian and my selling dealer WRM the exact same question months ago and BOTH confirmed to me that normal UK spec unleaded is FINE and its what they use all the time. I just did not wish to enter into yet another debate as life is too short.;):p We should ask Harry Hill next time. " Fight ":D:D:D:D:D

To clarify with a picture then:

The Japanese handbook says that you can use unleaded fuel down to RON = 89 with maybe a loss of power

(so 240HP minus what I wonder = still enough for most folks :()
temp.jpg

But then there is a discussion about RON ratings being different in different parts of the world.

Not sure if this is made up or fact, I did find something on it once, but never could again so I can't link to it. I'll see if I can do more digging.

The article I read was basically showing the maths behind RON calculation, and that a 96 RON fuel in Japan would be the equivalent of a 98 RON fuel in the UK. Something to do with geographical location and air pressures etc.

I would never go for Shell V Power at the price of it. Not needed. But paying a few pence more for Momentum at Tesco vs Regular keeps me happy.

EDIT: Seeing that post from @Alan Morgan showing that the handbook states regular in Japan at 89 RON is not something I have seen before. I would be happy knowing that the engine can run on Regular unleaded in the UK without issue (95 RON vs 89 RON). Although as it is not recommended, and we cannot get 96RON fuel in the UK, I would still opt to go for Super Unleaded which is 97 RON (not sure where sells it) minimum, and use Regular whenever you are stuck.

I use Momentum purely for the fact that I get clubcard points, it's not much more than regular petrol, and I don't know anywhere local to me that sells 97 RON fuel.

Last edited:
But then there is a discussion about RON ratings being different in different parts of the world.

Not sure if this is made up or fact, I did find something on it once, but never could again so I can't link to it. I'll see if I can do more digging.

The article I read was basically showing the maths behind RON calculation, and that a 96 RON fuel in Japan would be the equivalent of a 98 RON fuel in the UK. Something to do with geographical location and air pressures etc.

I would never go for Shell V Power at the price of it. Not needed. But paying a few pence more for Momentum at Tesco vs Regular keeps me happy.

EDIT: Seeing that post from @Alan Morgan showing that the handbook states regular in Japan at 89 RON is not something I have seen before. I would be happy knowing that the engine can run on Regular unleaded in the UK without issue (95 RON vs 89 RON). Although as it is not recommended, and we cannot get 96RON fuel in the UK, I would still opt to go for Super Unleaded which is 97 RON (not sure where sells it) minimum, and use Regular whenever you are stuck.

I use Momentum purely for the fact that I get clubcard points, it's not much more than regular petrol, and I don't know anywhere local to me that sells 97 RON fuel.

I avoid tescos at all costs...my old Facelift E50 used to hop down the road whatever Tescos crap I put in so have never gone near in the 51.

I use BP and shell standard all the time...5 years in 50 and nearly 1 in 51, once or twice a month I chuck in 99 etc., but thats on pay day, I also chuck additives in on occasion, not seen any change one way or other on either fuel so again just use what makes you happy/be able to afford the ELLIE going .

I avoid tescos at all costs...my old Facelift E50 used to hop down the road whatever Tescos crap I put in so have never gone near in the 51.

I use BP and shell standard all the time...5 years in 50 and nearly 1 in 51, once or twice a month I chuck in 99 etc., but thats on pay day, I also chuck additives in on occasion, not seen any change one way or other on either fuel so again just use what makes you happy/be able to afford the ELLIE going .

I use Tesco momentum and nowt else. It's the only 99 Ron stuff we have round here 😂

just an aside to this thread. i have a bike that requires min 98 ron and asumed all "super" unleaded had the same ron....not so,so i found. so far ive found BP is 97,sainsburys , shell 98 , tesco 99....anyone expand on this or correct?

Here in Australia we have 91RON (E10 - it's a 94RON fuel but the 10% alcohol content actually increases fuel consumption due to the fuel's energy density), 95RON 'premium' unleaded and 98 'super'. While I wouldn't put E10 in a vehicle like this and would only use 98 except in a pinch, does anyone know if E10 is safe for the Elgrand in theory? Obviously it wouldn't be optimal but not all garages have premium unleaded so I may have to plan a bit if visiting country towns.

I don`t know much about E50, but E51 3.5 can be run on both Ron91 and Ron95 and 2.5 on Ron95 only.
19mvti.jpg

Super unleaded only if you have this sticher on fuel flap.

I don`t know much about E50, but E51 3.5 can be run on both Ron91 and Ron95 and 2.5 on Ron95 only.
19mvti.jpg

Super unleaded only if you have this sticher on fuel flap.
Is that because it has an Impul ECU / remap? Does yours have one? Can't be very common!

I switch between regular and super - I really have no idea which is "right" anymore so I'm hedging my bets :)

Is that because it has an Impul ECU / remap? Does yours have one? Can't be very common!

I switch between regular and super - I really have no idea which is "right" anymore so I'm hedging my bets :)

2.5 with IMPUL ECU, not too bad after 3.5. Revving even better than with throttle controller on 3.5.

having run jap inports for the last 10 years or so my advise is just drop a tankfull of super in now and then
service it every 10000 miles and use slick 50 fully synthetic oil and it will b3e like the ariston duracell bunny it will run n run n run n run

2.5 with IMPUL ECU, not too bad after 3.5. Revving even better than with throttle controller on 3.5.
Cool, what happened to your last one? Didn't realise you'd replaced it!

I love that not believing in science / engineering principles is so common yet we all accept the world isn’t flat.
Oh no MrRob_in That's not true we Do Not all accept the world is not flat. There are now well over 20,000,000 videos on youtube alone. I personally know many 100s of flat earthers. In a recent ITV poll 17% of 135k voted earth flat. The world record long distance photograph Pic De Finestrelles to Pic Gaspard. At 275 miles is fully visable should be hidden behind over 9 miles of curve! and there is tons more proof. pm me for a chat an argument or for more info

How the hell did we get on to flat earthers, this just got weird 😐

Cool, what happened to your last one? Didn't realise you'd replaced it!

Old one was reserved next day after I advertised. Didn`t wanted to sell that quick :confused: Was looking to buy VK45 or DBA 3.5 Fuga from Japan, but bought an another Elgrand.

Back