• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What petrol should I put in my Elgrand?

i do use 97/99 ron depending on where i get petrol :cool:i have used 95 but only if others are not available:( but mostly lots and lots :joy: must take lead boots off when driving :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Not diesel when it’s meant to be petrol like my husband nearly did today 🥴

Done that!...but put petrol in a old diesel van I had - had to have drained and filters replaced - luckily rescued it in time! It must be a fella thing!

No, my wife did that to our old diesel hiace supercustom. Drain and filter and it ran again. Tough old bus.

As I'm in the market currently for an Elgrand to bring to Canada I was wondering about fuel as well as we have 87 Octane (Regular), 89 Octane (Midgrade) and depending on gas station 91-94 octane (Premium) I know of people around here running Fairlady 350z's, Skyline 350gt/G35 on regular 87 from time to time with no issues. I'll run premium but sometimes in summer it does get to around $2.00 a liter for premium so just want to make sure things will be ok on 87?

As I'm in the market currently for an Elgrand to bring to Canada I was wondering about fuel as well as we have 87 Octane (Regular), 89 Octane (Midgrade) and depending on gas station 91-94 octane (Premium) I know of people around here running Fairlady 350z's, Skyline 350gt/G35 on regular 87 from time to time with no issues. I'll run premium but sometimes in summer it does get to around $2.00 a liter for premium so just want to make sure things will be ok on 87?

If you go for a 3.5 engine, they are designed for 97 RON and above only. It says it in the handbook as well, so I really wouldn't go for a 3.5 if that won't be possible.

The 2.5 is fine for 95 RON, but not sure how it would cope on <95, but I imagine there's a lot less risk than treating the 3.5 that way.

Interesting that others are running the Fairlady / 350gt / g35 on 87 occasionally, it's certainly not something I'd risk but even more sensitive on the Elgrand due to the cat issues etc.

If you go for a 3.5 engine, they are designed for 97 RON and above only. It says it in the handbook as well, so I really wouldn't go for a 3.5 if that won't be possible.

The 2.5 is fine for 95 RON, but not sure how it would cope on <95, but I imagine there's a lot less risk than treating the 3.5 that way.

Interesting that others are running the Fairlady / 350gt / g35 on 87 occasionally, it's certainly not something I'd risk but even more sensitive on the Elgrand due to the cat issues etc.

I had a 2006 g35x with the vq35de and I ran regular 87 as well hmm. Definitely dont want the 2.5 as I drive over the rocky's regularly to Vancouver island. I'll just stick with premium until I get a tuner to plug in and make sure my air/fuel ratio is ok. And cats wont be a big deal I'll be deleting all them soon as whatever I find gets here hahaha. No sticky emission laws or anything in Alberta here really.

He's in Canada they use a different petrol system I believe they don't use Ron use exactly what the Fairlady 350z's, Skyline 350gt/G35 and I'm sure you'll be fine I don't use super in England because it doesn't make any difference to me just try both of the higher grades and see which is best.

He's in Canada they use a different petrol system I believe they don't use Ron use exactly what the Fairlady 350z's, Skyline 350gt/G35 and I'm sure you'll be fine I don't use super in England because it doesn't make any difference to me just try both of the higher grades and see which is best.
Yes I'm in Canada we use Octane and I have no idea what that crosses over too in RON haha

"Regular Gasoline/Petroleum" in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United States91-9282-8387

RON / MON / AKI

so apparently Canada uses an average between the RON and MON which is called AKI.

Apparently our 99 RON here would be 93 on pumps in Canada, so I'd stick to premium if possible when going for the VQ35.

Apparently our 99 RON here would be 93 on pumps in Canada, so I'd stick to premium if possible when going for the VQ35.
Good to know still might get a shop here to check afrs to see if it's ok to run lower grade if needed because definitely not wanting the 2$ a liter to fill for 4 months out of the year haha

Good to know still might get a shop here to check afrs to see if it's ok to run lower grade if needed because definitely not wanting the 2$ a liter to fill for 4 months out of the year haha

I don't blame you, it seems like quite a sharp change between grades, 87 Octane is 90-92 RON, which is very low grade compared to here. Our premium is 97 to 99, regular unleaded is usually 95 RON, which a few people run on the 3.5 (we still don't recommend that and would not provide warranty to an owner doing this)

Your premium seems very high grade at 99/100 RON, which naturally exceeds the Elgrands requirements - It's a shame there's nothing inbetween.

Just use the expensive one... 😀

I don't blame you, it seems like quite a sharp change between grades, 87 Octane is 90-92 RON, which is very low grade compared to here. Our premium is 97 to 99, regular unleaded is usually 95 RON, which a few people run on the 3.5 (we still don't recommend that and would not provide warranty to an owner doing this)

Your premium seems very high grade at 99/100 RON, which naturally exceeds the Elgrands requirements - It's a shame there's nothing inbetween.
Yeah I'll be using good stuff til I know for sure nothing will be damaged!

I've found gas grades can become totally confusing depending on what you read with all sorts of disinformation splattered about the internet. Is Canada the same as the US? I've noticed a lot of US also seem to get confused between MON and PON (AKI or Pump) and also discuss fuel blends changing seasonally in their cold states.

Theres also Ethanol to consider, luckily at least at the moment in the UK our ethanol is generally 5% but best not to use any higher than that if you have that choice to make too.

I've found gas grades can become totally confusing depending on what you read with all sorts of disinformation splattered about the internet. Is Canada the same as the US? I've noticed a lot of US also seem to get confused between MON and PON (AKI or Pump) and also discuss fuel blends changing seasonally in their cold states.

Theres also Ethanol to consider, luckily at least at the moment in the UK our ethanol is generally 5% but best not to use any higher than that if you have that choice to make too.
I do believe Canada and US are the same an go of of Octane instead. Dont know about average ethanol I'll have to look into it some more.

For the petrol variants of the E50, and for E51/52 owners, this question comes up a lot!

There has been a LOT of debate about this on Facebook, and not just in Elgrand groups, but other Japanese Import groups.

The handbook stipulates that for the VG33/VQ25 you need 95ron fuel (this is standard unleaded in the UK). For the VQ35 you need 97ron fuel (super unleaded).

In my honest opinion, I do not know enough about the subject to really advice much, so please feel free to discuss within this thread.

My personal recommendation though is not to run ANY petrol Elgrand engine on anything LESS than 97ron fuel, and to try and get 99ron as often as possible (Tesco Momentum).

The RON rating of the fuel doesn't give more/less power, but it dictates how the fuel behaves under pressure.

A 95 RON fuel is more likely to PRE-DETONATE (ie explode before it's meant to) when exposed to compression / heat. This means you get what is known as "knocking". The premature detonation of the fuel works AGAINST the flow of the pistons in the engine and can cause internal damage.

A 99 RON fuel is more likely to make it to the "spark" before it ignites, which removes the potential for causing damage.

These engines have a "knock sensor" build in which detects these kids of issues. If it detects a knock, it will reduce the flow of fuel which will reduce power from the engine. This may not be to a point that is noticeable, but you could end up with an EML light due to this, or more serious damage if ignored.

UPDATE

Thanks to the screenshot shared below, and @Alan Morgan for pointing out the small print, it would appear that Regular Unleaded will be fine in your VQ35 engine (3.5 V6).

As you can see, there are comments showing what the Regular/Premium unleaded RON rating is in both Japan and UK, and also a caveat to show that regular unleaded is fine to use if premium is not available. As this is talking about Japanese fuel, that would drop as low as 89 RON. Meaning that UK regular unleaded being 95 RON is safe to use without concern.

temp-jpg.5537
See the update above , seems they'll be happy with 95

See the update above , seems they'll be happy with 95

Honestly, the original handbook wouldn't have made any mention of the cat issues. Obviously you wouldn't expect that, but my point being is that this booklet would be talking about an Elgrand with no design flaws which clearly doesn't exist. The front cats degrade and fail for a reason. Overfueling modifications were made as part of a recall but couldn't solve it fully, I'd rather my vehicle overfuel with high grade fuel than low grade fuel if I have no way to stop it happening in the first place.

Owners should do everything in their power to ensure as minimal wear to the front cats as possible, I'd consider running as high quality fuel as possible, where possible, as well as general maintenence such as keeping a close eye on the oil and using a good high quality oil.

Last edited:
In reverse I have a US vehicle with recommends 89 Octane but says 87 will be OK so in that I use our normal grade 95 RON.
Here's my understanding:
95 RON -> 91 Octane
98/100 RON -> 93 Octane

On a US forum a lot of members report they prefer certain brands of fuel as others deliver poorer MPG. Whilst its a different engine and set up I think some level of gas quality could be inferred. One says this, not sure how many are available in Canada or locally to you:
  • Pilot/Flying J/Love's - all gave poor MPG
  • Valero/Centex gave REALLY poor MPG
  • Shell/Exxon/Mobil/Phillips/Texaco gave average MPG for me
  • Costco/Sam's Club gave average to better MPG
  • Speedway (previously 'Giant') gave most consistent performance/MPG
In the Elgrand I stick to our highest grade fuel as the cost difference for me isn't a lot with my mileage but as said earlier many members run on our 95 RON.

I would expect the Ethanol to be labelled on the pumps and I would definitely avoid E85. I've no evidence that it isn't suitable but not worth taking the chance as it has the potential to do a lot of harm.

Back