• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

    You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

    Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

    Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What have you done to your Elgrand today?

IMG_3024.png

Morning all, hope you all slept well and enjoying the sunshine?
I’ve noticed that even when the engine is warm or hot it does still smoke a bit from the exhaust. We drove it for an hour the other day and whilst driving i could notice puffs of smoke out the rear window every now and then. Will this help and should I be worried? It’s only white smoke but does smell a little fuel smell . TIA you clever lot
 
View attachment 120303

Morning all, hope you all slept well and enjoying the sunshine?
I’ve noticed that even when the engine is warm or hot it does still smoke a bit from the exhaust. We drove it for an hour the other day and whilst driving i could notice puffs of smoke out the rear window every now and then. Will this help and should I be worried? It’s only white smoke but does smell a little fuel smell . TIA you clever lot
That won’t really help if you can smell fuel.
Your problem could be one of many such as an injector problem, oxygen sensor , MAF plus many more.
Check for codes and go from there.
I wouldn’t be throwing anything in the oil.
Hopefully simon @Lpgc will see this as if there’s a common problem he’ll know
 
View attachment 120303

Morning all, hope you all slept well and enjoying the sunshine?
I’ve noticed that even when the engine is warm or hot it does still smoke a bit from the exhaust. We drove it for an hour the other day and whilst driving i could notice puffs of smoke out the rear window every now and then. Will this help and should I be worried? It’s only white smoke but does smell a little fuel smell . TIA you clever lot

Probably better to try and find the route cause of the smoke first.

Didn’t you post recently about failed or failing catalytic converters ? If so that could be the cause of the smoke …
 
Probably better to try and find the route cause of the smoke first.

Didn’t you post recently about failed or failing catalytic converters ? If so that could be the cause of the smoke …
Yeah I did, the rears have been removed and a brand new exhaust has been fitted. The front cats were good apparently
 
That won’t really help if you can smell fuel.
Your problem could be one of many such as an injector problem, oxygen sensor , MAF plus many more.
Check for codes and go from there.
I wouldn’t be throwing anything in the oil.
Hopefully simon @Lpgc will see this as if there’s a common problem he’ll know
I agree with what you said mate.

@Adam1990 said he'd mentioned a cat problem which could've caused the smoking, I agree with that too.

Even without a cat, fuel or breather problem they can have problems with oil getting down the valve stems or oil getting into cylinders past failing rings.

Post crossed with @KingDavey , since front cats were good when removed it doesn't seem it'd be a cat problem that caused it.
 
I agree with what you said mate.

@Adam1990 said he'd mentioned a cat problem which could've caused the smoking, I agree with that too.

Even without a cat, fuel or breather problem they can have problems with oil getting down the valve stems or oil getting into cylinders past failing rings.

Post crossed with @KingDavey , since front cats were good when removed it doesn't seem it'd be a cat problem that caused it.
Thanks for the input everyone. I’m going to work the afternoon to put up our obd reader, I’ll report my findings
 
Beat me to it, painted my calipers purple, same disc but I'm leaving the disc centers silver, not done yet other bits to paint and fit.


Great minds think alike
 
So I ran our obd reader on the Elgrand and I couldn’t read live data, so I’ve ordered an ancel jp700 from eBay, fingers crossed that will read something
 
So I ran our obd reader on the Elgrand and I couldn’t read live data, so I’ve ordered an ancel jp700 from eBay, fingers crossed that will read something
Having a reader that's shows live data is OK if you know what you are looking at and understand the readings which is why I am sending my van to Simon @Lpgc to hopefully sort out an issue it has
 
Yeah I would too if I lived near but being in Torquay I’m miles away
 
Yeah I would too if I lived near but being in Torquay I’m miles away
Mark, if the one you have ordered does not read live data I can bring mine or get my grandson to bring his which is a lot more sophisticated than mine to Coombe both of which I do know will read live data on the Elgrand or if you fancy a little run up the M5 to me before that would be happy to put either of them on your Elgrand
 
Mark, if the one you have ordered does not read live data I can bring mine or get my grandson to bring his which is a lot more sophisticated than mine to Coombe both of which I do know will read live data on the Elgrand or if you fancy a little run up the M5 to me before that would be happy to put either of them on your Elgrand
That’s really kind of you m8. Let’s see what the one I’ve ordered does and take it from there
 
Back
Top