• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What have you done to your Elgrand today?

Ahh I see, LPG does sound like a good investment ... but with the current restrictions on movement I can’t justify the cost! Maybe when I can start putting some real miles in ...

Engine Detailing...

As promised i prised myself from bed at 4am (couldn’t sleep) and set up ready for daylight to look at the engine bay... I’d researched detailing and was £100 upwards and thought I’d try it myself....

I didn’t feel comfortable with spray foams, degreasers or water int he engine bay as I am as useful as a chocolate bar on a radiator when it comes to cars... so I tried a different approach...

1> I’m no experts and forget to take before and after images lol
2> got a curtain brush attachment for the wife’s hoover (our hoover lol) and gave it a once over, in all fairness I was surprised that much of it was dust
3> got a small paintbrush and worked over the engine bay and shifted much more
4> out came my Hoover (wife’s hoover, I mean our hoover lol) and sucked up all the dust I’d moved
5> coffee break ... real important, however ran out of Xmas chocolates so brownies had to do...
6> steam cleaner came out, found a small nozzle I never thought I would use and carefull with micro fibre cloth in one hand started to clean and mop up the drips, omg.... big mistake the coffee kicked in real quick I had the shakes, the steam cleaner was ace though
7> dried it all up and with another cloth I done a second scan trying hard not to get the electrics.... so many fuses and wires I felt like I was going to pee myself with neves!
8> feeling very cold another coffee and plenty of bacon sandwiches this time so no shakes

after 2 hours and £0 I felt I had made a good impact, this will last till the summer when I can spend some more time in our great British sun and do it all again maybe with a stubby this time, I am really happy that it was harder as would have lost the will to live but.... achievement value 8/10

next project ICE but will have to Wait until after the lockdown and exhaust system still working on....

Engine Detailing...

As promised i prised myself from bed at 4am (couldn’t sleep) and set up ready for daylight to look at the engine bay... I’d researched detailing and was £100 upwards and thought I’d try it myself....

I didn’t feel comfortable with spray foams, degreasers or water int he engine bay as I am as useful as a chocolate bar on a radiator when it comes to cars... so I tried a different approach...

1> I’m no experts and forget to take before and after images lol
2> got a curtain brush attachment for the wife’s hoover (our hoover lol) and gave it a once over, in all fairness I was surprised that much of it was dust
3> got a small paintbrush and worked over the engine bay and shifted much more
4> out came my Hoover (wife’s hoover, I mean our hoover lol) and sucked up all the dust I’d moved
5> coffee break ... real important, however ran out of Xmas chocolates so brownies had to do...
6> steam cleaner came out, found a small nozzle I never thought I would use and carefull with micro fibre cloth in one hand started to clean and mop up the drips, omg.... big mistake the coffee kicked in real quick I had the shakes, the steam cleaner was ace though
7> dried it all up and with another cloth I done a second scan trying hard not to get the electrics.... so many fuses and wires I felt like I was going to pee myself with neves!
8> feeling very cold another coffee and plenty of bacon sandwiches this time so no shakes

after 2 hours and £0 I felt I had made a good impact, this will last till the summer when I can spend some more time in our great British sun and do it all again maybe with a stubby this time, I am really happy that it was harder as would have lost the will to live but.... achievement value 8/10

next project ICE but will have to Wait until after the lockdown and exhaust system still working on....
Good job. Mr Sheen is good for cleaning under bonnet stuff if you want to give it a finishing touch.

20210105_164419.jpg

Ordered some T20 LEDs for indicators as one had blown but new ones even though are can bus, still flashed quickly so i reverse engineered them and fitted a t10 (same as t15 connector) and will install as reverse bulbs. Hopefully no can bus errors on reverse bulbs.
Let's hope they are not too long.

Did consider the dual led (reverse/ fog) but I strangely don't mind the slim external fog light, balances out the down turned exhaust.

View attachment 46899

Ordered some T20 LEDs for indicators as one had blown but new ones even though are can bus, still flashed quickly so i reverse engineered them and fitted a t10 (same as t15 connector) and will install as reverse bulbs. Hopefully no can bus errors on reverse bulbs.
Let's hope they are not too long.

Did consider the dual led (reverse/ fog) but I strangely don't mind the slim external fog light, balances out the down turned exhaust.
You will still need load resistors fitted, so they flash slower

They should have already as canbus, no?
Not many LED indicator bulbs will contain a load resistor to adjust flash rate. The term canbus will be probably used because they won't put the bulb out warning light on dash.

Canbus systems monitor the current load of the bulb and if a bulb blows it senses the lack of current and sets an alert. LED's consume less current and present a different load profile to the Canbus system which fool it into thinking a bulb has blown. Canbus LED's have a resistive network to simulate bulb load without drawing a high current.

Indicators are a different matter as the flash rate is dependant on a timing circuit which uses the bulb as part of the charge/discharge time constant, hence you need a high wattage resistor to simulate the load as it will need to flow the same current as the bulb.

It was yesterday I spotted this crack in the front bumper:
B5E0A5FB-C83F-4CCA-A481-0C8C48105C70_1_105_c.jpeg

Definitely fresh but I haven't noticed hitting anything and theres no gouges on the underside like I've done it on a speed hump. Bit of a mystery.

View attachment 46933

Definitely fresh but I haven't noticed hitting anything and theres no gouges on the underside like I've done it on a speed hump. Bit of a mystery.
Turbo resonance.

Looks a bit on the thin side is it made out of fibreglass . Maybe a air line crack . got water In it frozen up and blown out ..?????? Just that I have a small chip on my rider on the front bumper and that looks like it has lifted a bit with the cold weather only had the rider about 4 weeks and it was not bad when I picked it up just a small chip ???

Last edited:
View attachment 46933

Does look fresh, also looks like it may have been done from the rear (all the fragments are facing outwards) so as said above , you could have had an hairline crack that has blown-------if mine i would be drilling a little hole at its very end to try and stem the travel until i could get on with a fix

Changed the oil and coolant on my white one.

During the process I noticed a spot of oil on the ground near OSF wheel, at first I thought it'd be a spot of oil from it's last oil change that had collected on the undertray or chassis and only rolled onto the floor due to having the front end up but when I checked the little patch of oil it was hydraulic fluid. Further investigation I found the U shaped metal PAS fluid cooling pipe has developed a leak around the middle of it's length, new one on me! I could just get another bit of pipe and make the U shape, or even bypass it for what advantage the short pipe will provide in terms of cooling, but I'll probably get one from Steve.

Does look fresh, also looks like it may have been done from the rear (all the fragments are facing outwards) so as said above , you could have had an hairline crack that has blown-------if mine i would be drilling a little hole at its very end to try and stem the travel until i could get on with a fix
Good points, I didn't think about it being hairline before, theres a few 'imperfections' on the kit. Will have a closer inspection with drill in hand before I drive again.

Looks a bit on the thin side is it made out of fibreglass . Maybe a air line crack . got water In it frozen up and blown out ..?????? Just that I have a small chip on my rider on the front bumper and that looks like it has lifted a bit with the cold weather only had the rider about 4 weeks and it was not bad when I picked it up just a small chip ???
Yes fibreglass and water/freezing sounds likely. Aren't the ride bumpers plastic, I suppose the paint could still lift though.

View attachment 46933

Oh noo 👎 at least its not all been colour coded yet (by the looks of it)

Back