• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What have you done to your Elgrand today?

Thankfully all my MOTs have been recorded in KM's, but then I do put a sticker on the steering wheel for them to record the mileage in KM's and also hand them a post-it note to stick to my job card when I turn up for the MOT, had 3 so far, no problems :)

Mmm, mine i'm sure ? is recording in miles as the dials are in "miles only" (thought they had to have km as well ?)
Have the paperwork to show milleage when purchased and i think the dealer added paperwork to show when changed
so i have the age old problem "if i ever sell" of calculating etc
Reading the above has made me feel i need to check what i have etc-----------maybe later 🤔

Not to but for the Elgrand
Has anyone else gone for these struts---are they any good---if not i'll let you know, when they arrive that is (sorry if this is considered tech---been a long night)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CAIM-Compa...hicle=80-1029&replacementKeywords=e51&sr=8-73

Fitted the longer struts to the rear lid, the extra height helps as I am 6'2"

m1njwIV.jpg

What did you use and was it easy to do?
Had a bit of trouble with the factory black coating on the chrome as the etch primer started to lift it. Apart from that no real trouble. Has to remove as much of it as possible prior to etching again. It’s all in the prep as with any painting job.
Two coats of Etch primer to adhere to the chrome after keying with 240 grit and degreasing. A few coats of standard primer and then flattened with 1200 grit. Think it was then 4 or 5 colour coats of satin black with necessary work in between. To finish the job I left the internal areas of the grill satin but cut and polished the bars to add a bit of shine to the front of the grill.

Not to but for the Elgrand
Has anyone else gone for these struts---are they any good---if not i'll let you know, when they arrive that is (sorry if this is considered tech---been a long night)

Wouldn't trust them, still using the original prop in the picture.

Would still use the stay as well on longer jobs etc
As for why, well I’m not a fan of the bonnet blowing over the windscreen in windy conditions should I need to be under there and these would help prevent this
Also, I still have some orange paint left :p

As for why, well I’m not a fan of the bonnet blowing over the windscreen in windy conditions should I need to be under there and these would help prevent this
Didn't use the ones from your link. But have got gas struts on my bonnet. Bought all the parts seperately from ebay and made them up. Certainly don't need the stay! These bad boys aren't going anywhere and would be very unlucky for both to fail.IMG_20200404_182028_941.jpgIMG_20200404_182028_943.jpg20200404_105840.jpg

It always rains in Yorkshire so the chance of getting the bonnet up to be honest is slim :imp: :joy:

Had a bit of trouble with the factory black coating on the chrome as the etch primer started to lift it. Apart from that no real trouble. Has to remove as much of it as possible prior to etching again. It’s all in the prep as with any painting job.
Two coats of Etch primer to adhere to the chrome after keying with 240 grit and degreasing. A few coats of standard primer and then flattened with 1200 grit. Think it was then 4 or 5 colour coats of satin black with necessary work in between. To finish the job I left the internal areas of the grill satin but cut and polished the bars to add a bit of shine to the front of the grill.
I think I will leave it for now lol......

• Haha
Reactions: Ste
Been thinking of doing this, can you still hit your head? I'm 6'4", if I'd still bang my head, I'll just leave it to be honest
I have the longer struts plus some spacers on the bracket. I'm a mere 6ft but the Elg is lowered a bit and I can still jump underneath it.

I'm 5ft 8 on a warm day, which apparently makes me dwarf-like in Elgrand circles 😯

I may have to fit shorter struts so I can reach the damn thing.. 😁
Just put lead weights in the lid so it doesn't lift so high.......

Back