• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What have you done to your Elgrand today?

Didn't want to lie so finished the process today. First time it's had a deep clean since leaving the UK almost three years ago. Even did the roof. It may not be quite up to the standard of those who buy black Elgrands just to prove their polishing skills, but I'm pleased with it and glad it's done after too long without. Not bad for a 21 year old car.

View attachment 103212

View attachment 103213

View attachment 103214

View attachment 103215

View attachment 103217

View attachment 103216
Wow thats a great job.
Looks fantastic.

Currently on first camping trip, making changes as we go, the other day I had the tent door up on the roof with my magnetsas the picture below. Today I've cracked it, pictures to follow.

It works great so far moreso in the Cornwall rain lol....

Didn't want to lie so finished the process today. First time it's had a deep clean since leaving the UK almost three years ago. Even did the roof. It may not be quite up to the standard of those who buy black Elgrands just to prove their polishing skills, but I'm pleased with it and glad it's done after too long without. Not bad for a 21 year old car.

View attachment 103212

View attachment 103213

View attachment 103214

View attachment 103215

View attachment 103217

View attachment 103216
Respect to your roof clean😍😍😍

1st camp of the year done recently. Aircon was not great. Looked at service options, ummm, pricey. Found the right type of gas through the forum. Bought cheap Amazon hose with gauge and small bottle of gas. Watched some YouTubes and read the can. Found the high pressure valve to the right of the engine beauty cover (not used for top up) and discovered the low pressure one is underneath the engine plastic cover. Cover nuts, one missing, one finger tight and one corroded which sheared off. Good start. Air inlet needed taking off too, one plastic fixer sheared on the way out. Even better start. Attached filler hose to low pressure side and attached the can. Lent on the valve to get a reading, really high. Started engine. Reading went to low. My filler hose had a tap like thing to turn a needle into the can top. Did that. My can had no trigger. Small can so just emptied it all in whilst engine was running with aircon on max cool and blower on max. Aircon defo much colder. As in some videos I watched a can with a trigger would defo be far better to control the adding process and to get more accurate pressure reading. Anyway it's colder and the hose and can came to £30 odd. Plastic ties to replace the sheared nut applied. The one plastic fixer seemed ok to keep the air inlet in place. Good enough for who she is for! Will add some pics.1000016988.jpg1000016987.jpg1000016977.jpg1000016983.jpg1000016973.jpg

Last edited:
Finally fixed my roof lining rattle.

When I went to collect my Elgrand after its presale checks, I was told they found that the rear screen didn't work, so they replaced it with a modern Xtrons screen. I found some time later that where the new dropdown screen had been installed the roof lining started to rattle. So this weekend I had a look, and found that the metal piece in the headling near the front sunroof had come unstuck, and this was the rattle. So I used some Locktite epoxy adhesive, and fixed it back in place. I also used this to refix the velco pads to the metal that then hold the roof lining to the roof, it works a treat.

What made me finally repair it is that at the weekend we are going on a trip to mid Wales to see friends, which will be a 560 mile round trip, and the thought of that rattle for 5 hours each way filled me with dread. 😖

I will look out for any Elgrands on our journey, and of course in the Wales area. Hope to get lots of waves. :)

Next job, give the whole car a good clean inside and out, and then hope it doesn't rain!

1st camp of the year done recently. Aircon was not great. Looked at service options, ummm, pricey. Found the right type of gas through the forum. Bought cheap Amazon hose with gauge and small bottle of gas. Watched some YouTubes and read the can. Found the high pressure valve to the right of the engine beauty cover (not used for top up) and discovered the low pressure one is underneath the engine plastic cover. Cover nuts, one missing, one finger tight and one corroded which sheared off. Good start. Air inlet needed taking off too, one plastic fixer sheared on the way out. Even better start. Attached filler hose to low pressure side and attached the can. Lent on the valve to get a reading, really high. Started engine. Reading went to low. My filler hose had a tap like thing to turn a needle into the can top. Did that. My can had no trigger. Small can so just emptied it all in whilst engine was running with aircon on max cool and blower on max. Aircon defo much colder. As in some videos I watched a can with a trigger would defo be far better to control the adding process and to get more accurate pressure reading. Anyway it's colder and the hose and can came to £30 odd. Plastic ties to replace the sheared nut applied. The one plastic fixer seemed ok to keep the air inlet in place. Good enough for who she is for! Will add some pics.View attachment 103261View attachment 103262View attachment 103264View attachment 103265View attachment 103267
The thing to be aware of with Elgrands is the likelihood of a leak. A pro regas will test for this.

Changed the oil and whacked a K&N filter on this time. 5th oil change in 10k km. The short runs blacken the oil quite quickly so trying to keep it fresh. Also "MacGyver'd" up a hose and funnel for the ATF fluid/filter change at the weekend. A bit of garden hose, an old plunger, and some 88 tape. 1000006381.jpg

Well today Im hopefully just getting the front bearings done, been a disastrous week for my Elly. Pothole attrition destroyed one of my old 19" rims, damaged another and I had been running too long on a 17" spare tyre.
Had a mid to slow leak on front drivers on Monday. Portable air compressor got it back up and I went straight to the tyre shop after work. Too late in the day so I booked it in for the next day.
Next morning the tyre was dead flat. Pumped it up and it seemed to hold. About 5 mins down the road and Bang! tyre goes front end crunches badly and I grind to a stop.

Anyways called tow truck, got it towed to the tyre shop, couple of hundred bucks later I've got two new 17" rims with new rubber and my spare finally tucked back into its nest. Along with that some very stern advice to get my front bearings done asap. The light grind I had before had now turned into a godzilla like roar. Along with some rather disturbing rattles.

Took it really slow getting it to mechanic repeating constantly "Please hold on, it's just a little further." Got here without incident thankfully. Just waiting for them to check it over.

UPDATE: Bearing was total custard. Hung around with the mechanic and when we pressed it out it disintegrated leaving the inner ring on the hub. I did get a photo of that but the outer ring and what what was left of the bearings ended up all over the floor.
On-top of that lower control arm bushes where often as well. Had to swap both control arms out as some whizz kid mechanic had actually ground the rear pins down to fit the bushes previously and the where literally spinning freely.
New front brake pads and and an oil service later and all grinding, hiking and looseness has gone.
Still have front diff bushes, sway bar links and the passenger side bearing to do down the track but none of those is urgent.
Just so relieved it was just the bearing and not diff and or transfer case as well.

Last edited:
Had our first MOT yesterday and passed…….nice result. EXCEPT……the rear screen washer spray didn’t work ? Turns out this is not part of an MOT, as long as the rear wiper is secure and works it was ok.
So, my job today is to find the likely route of the hose that runs from the washer bottle to the rear screen.
Does anyone have any advice on the likely route please where the hose actually runs ?
Any advice appreciated.

It runs through the cubby box under the driver’s seat, that will give you a clue.
FWIW, I only use mine a couple of times a year and it can take some time for the water to get through to the jet and after that will work on demand. Might be worth trying it for several seconds.

Back