• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

    You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

    Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

    Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What do you have on your TV AUX

I just run Bluetooth audio through mine, as shown in this video. I'm happy enough just having a blank screen on the TV.
Same - although on my Series III you can still switch to the status screen (showing fuel economy, aircon etc.) on Aux which looks a bit better than the blank screen while still keeping the audio playing.
 
NTSC HDMI convertor running the HDMI to the front, switchable between Amazon Fire TV stick and whatever other gadget my son wants to plug in: Steam Deck etc.

Thinking about combining with a switchable RCA box to allow audio switching from a proper 3.5mm aux audio jack at the front. Would then be able to switch between HDMI audio and whatever other audio gadget is plugged in at the front such as satnav.
 
Hi guys, do you mind sharing how to disable the TV aux turning off whilst driving? Thank you so much
If it's a series 3, I had to just cut 2 wires on the stereo connector, one was the speed sensor and the other was the handbrake sensor wire which needs to be grounded to the back of the stereo.

I did have a diagram of exactly what to cut... but I have no idea how to post photos to this forum 😂
 
My 2008 S3 is the same @mikebirch1977
I have a front screen but no rear drop down screen.
No RCA inputs at the rear, but I do have an aux button/channel on the front head unit.
And it is selectable - just comes up with a blank screen obviously as nothing is inputted.

I've removed the rear drivers side panel also and located the TV tuner box, but like yours, there are no spare plugs. They are all used.

Surely there must be a way of connecting into that AUX channel.
Mine is the same as yours. Mine had a connector along one of the cables. Plugged an android TV box in it didn't do anything, I took it out and plugged a fire stick in an came straight up on the screen.
 
I love these cars have an AUX IN for the TV tuner. The possibilities are endless.

What do you all have running through it?

I've experimented with a few things so far & these are my findings.

I've never liked Proprietary navagation systems, you always have to pay for updates and your so restricted on what they display regarding speed cameras etc... so Google maps & waze was the way I wanted to go anyway.

So my first mod was to disable the TV aux turning off when moving/handbrake released. Once that was sorted, My first attempt was a HK ONE Android box. I connected a U Blox USB GPS device to it & an air mouse for control and it worked really well with all android apps.

The most annoying thing with this system was, I powered the android box from the 12v supply in the boot, so I would plot my journey on maps, start the engine, and immediately reset he box because the supply dies when you hit the starter!

My next idea was to add a battery buffer to stop it restarting every time i started, I experimented with a few batteries. Annoyingly power banks didn't allow "pass through power" so if they were connected to a charge source they wouldnt output any power. So that won't work.

My solution was a UPS device that was designed for 12v Internet routers.

Unfortunately when charging from the 12v socket and outputting power at the same time to the android box, it would create the most awful interference in the screen. So again no joy.

So now ive currently switched to using an old galaxy S9 with a HDMI output in to the aux. The phone charges on the 12v output and uses its internal battery to stay alive when you start the engine do no waiting for Android to boot.
Hi, how do you disable the TV aux turning off when moving/handbrake released...?
 
My next idea was to add a battery buffer to stop it restarting every time i started, I experimented with a few batteries. Annoyingly power banks didn't allow "pass through power" so if they were connected to a charge source they wouldnt output any power. So that won't work.

I'm a bit late with this thought @Jimmy82 but you can get power banks that support 'pass-through' mode. I have a couple and have used them as a basic UPS-like device - for example with Raspberry Pis.

Finding them is a bit of pain although people usually mention it in the Amazon reviews. Zendure used to do power banks that deliberately mention it as a feature.
 
I'm a bit late with this thought @Jimmy82 but you can get power banks that support 'pass-through' mode. I have a couple and have used them as a basic UPS-like device - for example with Raspberry Pis.

Finding them is a bit of pain although people usually mention it in the Amazon reviews. Zendure used to do power banks that deliberately mention it as a feature.
Yea, I had looked on amazon for this at the time, but as you say they were a pain to find!
 
Hi, how do you disable the TV aux turning off when moving/handbrake released...?
I think it depends on what series Elgrand you have, I have a series 3, and it basically needed 1 wire cutting (speed sensor) and 1 wire grounding to earth (handbrake sensor) at the back of the head unit.

The speed sensor stopped the nav working, which doesn't work in the uk anyway so it was no big loss & it didn't affect any other systems like the fuel efficiency computer which i was afraid it would. Some cars from Japan already had a kit installed that had a button that could enable and disable the bypass, but as I wasn't bothered if the nav worked or not I was happy to just snip the wire.

I think someone on her Sent me a diagram of how to do it but I can't seem to find it now.
 
I think it depends on what series Elgrand you have, I have a series 3, and it basically needed 1 wire cutting (speed sensor) and 1 wire grounding to earth (handbrake sensor) at the back of the head unit.

The speed sensor stopped the nav working, which doesn't work in the uk anyway so it was no big loss & it didn't affect any other systems like the fuel efficiency computer which i was afraid it would. Some cars from Japan already had a kit installed that had a button that could enable and disable the bypass, but as I wasn't bothered if the nav worked or not I was happy to just snip the wire.

I think someone on her Sent me a diagram of how to do it but I can't seem to find it now.
Yes, I have a series 3 also - if you do find the diagram, could you post it on here please...?
 
Yes, I have a series 3 also - if you do find the diagram, could you post it on here please...?

I've tried searching for it again, but just can't find the previous messages... I think it was @LeStempy that sent it to me, maybe he could help?
 
Didnt realise I could do any of that with this. Currently just playing music through it. bluetoothed to phone.
 
It's a switch which is only needed if you want to revert it back to standard for test inspection purposes.
 
Wow thanks that’s really useful
Cheers

I have setup a Raspberry Pi 3b with Batocera (Games Emu) and Kodi as a music player.

On car ignition the RPI boots up direct into Kodi and auto plays a random Party playlist which displays via the RCA socket feed

I have adjusted the fonts in Kodi and Batocera to account for the poor screen resolution, however I could not figure out how to bypass the park brake!
Have now added to my setup with a small Bluetooth 6 button and knob keyboard from Ali Express, which fits with very little adjustment into the coin tray in the centre console cup holder pop out. It even closes out of view.

Am planning to plug in usb to keep it charged, however battery last ages and it’s easy to pop out the tray when you need to charge it.

The Mini keyboard auto connects to the Raspberry Pi and the keys can be programmed to do whatever commends you want in order to navigate Kodi with ease.
 
I did have firestick running through it working fine then I added a USB to the firestick to watch downloaded movies through a vlc player app now I've lost connection to the aux and I don't know where lol
 
Just come across this on eBay which looks like an interesting solution - although quite a bit of money and has to come from Germany. Wireless Carplay with RCA output.

In theory looks like it would be a good solution if plugged in via the RCA aux and would allow you to have a Carplay display on the existing screen. Just wondered if anyone has come across / used it at all?

Appreciate you wouldn't get a functioning touch screen for Carplay using the Elgrand screen as it's just running via an aux input which might be problematic?
 
Just come across this on eBay which looks like an interesting solution - although quite a bit of money and has to come from Germany. Wireless Carplay with RCA output.

In theory looks like it would be a good solution if plugged in via the RCA aux and would allow you to have a Carplay display on the existing screen. Just wondered if anyone has come across / used it at all?

Appreciate you wouldn't get a functioning touch screen for Carplay using the Elgrand screen as it's just running via an aux input which might be problematic?
I originally looked at something similar however my biggest drawback was I'd lose the DVD function for the kids what I ended up finding was this 2024 CARPURIDE 9.3 Inch Carplay Screen for Car, Compatible with Wireless/Wired Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and Mirror Link - Bluetooth Audio, Navigation,Siri, FM, AUX, C92 with Backup Cam https://amzn.asia/d/bfB2prw.
 
I love these cars have an AUX IN for the TV tuner. The possibilities are endless.

What do you all have running through it?

I've experimented with a few things so far & these are my findings.

I've never liked Proprietary navagation systems, you always have to pay for updates and your so restricted on what they display regarding speed cameras etc... so Google maps & waze was the way I wanted to go anyway.

So my first mod was to disable the TV aux turning off when moving/handbrake released. Once that was sorted, My first attempt was a HK ONE Android box. I connected a U Blox USB GPS device to it & an air mouse for control and it worked really well with all android apps.

The most annoying thing with this system was, I powered the android box from the 12v supply in the boot, so I would plot my journey on maps, start the engine, and immediately reset he box because the supply dies when you hit the starter!

My next idea was to add a battery buffer to stop it restarting every time i started, I experimented with a few batteries. Annoyingly power banks didn't allow "pass through power" so if they were connected to a charge source they wouldnt output any power. So that won't work.

My solution was a UPS device that was designed for 12v Internet routers.

Unfortunately when charging from the 12v socket and outputting power at the same time to the android box, it would create the most awful interference in the screen. So again no joy.

So now ive currently switched to using an old galaxy S9 with a HDMI output in to the aux. The phone charges on the 12v output and uses its internal battery to stay alive when you start the engine do no waiting for Android to boot.
I've got an old plug and play games console, the kids play duck hunt
 
I've got an old plug and play games console, the kids play duck hunt
I contemplated hooking up one of those but 9 feel the screens too small. How have kids found the game play
 
Back
Top