• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Think my Elgrand adventure might be over

Recovery driver said he didn't think I'd be seeing it again.
I think he's going to be correct. Airbag deployment is indicative of the forces involved and even just replacing the air bags and associated trim is probably enough on its own to be a write-off.

Had a little argument with a concrete barrier.
qCV2QO5.jpeg

Back end broke loose coming off a roundabout. Caught the first slide but must have wound the lock off too fast as it flicked the other way and at that point I was just a passenger.
Hope you are ok!

I think he's going to be correct. Airbag deployment is indicative of the forces involved and even just replacing the air bags and associated trim is probably enough on its own to be a write-off.
I'm in total agreement, hopefully I can sort out insurance claim promptly.

Really sorry mate, looks a definite write off. Main thing us you're here to tell the tale, get your insurance and start hunting for a replacement. Gutting though. Hope you soon have a lovely new Ellie.

Like everyone else has stated, you are the important thing and as long as you are ok then that's all that matters.

On the car front, nowadays, unless it's a very new & expensive vehicle that has had a minor shunt then once the airbag has deployed then it's pretty much standard procedure to write it off.

At the very least (and this was a garage quoting ballpark figures) Ā£500 per airbag, same per seatbelt pre-tensioner, then the cost of resetting the electronics, slam panel, bodywork etc, etc (and all this on a JDM vehicle with the associated OEM parts costs and shipping).

And that's all BEFORE they start charging Labour etc.

On the good side, you could buy it back for peanuts, use second-hand parts for most of the repairs, and probably do the electronic side using readily available software.

Unfortunately none of the above covers the tweaks, changes and love and attention we all lavish on our beloved Elgrands.

I'm really gutted for you mate : unamused:

Like everyone else has stated, you are the important thing and as long as you are ok then that's all that matters.

On the car front, nowadays, unless it's a very new & expensive vehicle that has had a minor shunt then once the airbag has deployed then it's pretty much standard procedure to write it off.

At the very least (and this was a garage quoting ballpark figures) Ā£500 per airbag, same per seatbelt pre-tensioner, then the cost of resetting the electronics, slam panel, bodywork etc, etc (and all this on a JDM vehicle with the associated OEM parts costs and shipping).

And that's all BEFORE they start charging Labour etc.

On the good side, you could buy it back for peanuts, use second-hand parts for most of the repairs, and probably do the electronic side using readily available software.

Unfortunately none of the above covers the tweaks, changes and love and attention we all lavish on our beloved Elgrands.

I'm really gutted for you mate : unamused:
Hear Hear

get back in the seat @cjholding and get another Elgrand

I've actually been having a pretty rough time lately and in the usual "manly" way I've been keeping a stiff upper lip and bearing everything with the usual stupid stoicism.
Until I saw this today and I have got to admit that it tipped me and I've had a bit of a cry! :sob:

Absolutely gutted for you CJ but very relieved that you're intact.
If I had won that 102million last week I promise you, you would have a replacement with the super-rare wheelchair option delivered asap.
(I'd probably even throw in half a tank of super)

Glad to hear you're OK.
Hope you get what you want for the insurance pay out. You may, as I did, have to haggle with them to get what it's worth. Arm yourself with many examples of similar cars for sale with prices to prove market value.
All the best.

Main thing is no one was hurt. But be it be falling of a bicycle, horse, or surviving a plane crash or ship sinking, the important thing is that you immediately get back on. Not just for yourself and your own peace of mind, but for all of us on here who have relied on your unsurpassed knowledge and help on here over the years. Good luck sorting the claim out , I hope its done quickly.

Sorry to hear of your lossā€¦ best get searching for a new oneā€¦ I canā€™t see anyone who has had an Elgrand in the past not owning one .. the Elgrand is dead long live the Elgrand ..

So sorry to hear this! Glad you're OK bud!

Not sure that's something I'd want to buy back and put back on the road, hope the insurance pays ball and you get a decent pay out and you're back in another Elgrand ASAP.

Good luck šŸ‘

Back