• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 The E51 Catalytic Converter Problem

Reuben.
Have you got an e51. Have you had the cats decored
If not . Don't come crying on here when they fail

Chasdad,

Yes, no, OK

IF the cats fail then I’ll make a decision on how I proceed based on advice or facts provided by someone qualified to give it. I appreciate your concern though.

So not everyone that had a near miss disappeared - my apologies @E50ZRider - I can't remember everything :joy:

But oh look, another example of blocked cats. But of course, this is just my opinion... obviously there are no facts behind this at all :rolleyes:
Dude I know I'm easily forgettable..I even forget my own name sometimes :)

1525345547755.png

I'm not admin so feel free to ignore me but come on folks, everyone has and is entitled to their own views and opinions but lets not get catty about it, that just causes bad feeling. A forum is meant to be there to help and advise members with a similar passion (ok obsession lol), if one member chooses not to follow the general consensus of opinion then surely that should also be respected and shouldn't be reason for animosity or bad feeling.

David

Can somebody clear up whether this affects ME51 2.5L V6 engines, mine is not subject to the cat recall as the engine is different. I had this confirmed by Nissan JP.

I believe that all E51 has the 4 cat setup

I could be wrong but have a look under, if you have 4 cats then you are at risk

Can somebody clear up whether this affects ME51 2.5L V6 engines, mine is not subject to the cat recall as the engine is different. I had this confirmed by Nissan JP.

As far as i'm aware it does affect the 2.5 aswell buddy as both petrol engines have front and rear cat for both banks of the engine.

Yes, it 100% also effects the 2.5 motor as well.

As well as many other quad cat systems.

The recall doesn't stop the problem, it just prolongs it.

The issue is the quad cat set up (and it is not unique to the Elgrand). Having 2 in line cats in an exhaust is bad news.

The recall doesn't stop the problem, it just prolongs it.

The issue is the quad cat set up (and it is not unique to the Elgrand). Having 2 in line cats in an exhaust is bad news.

I can attest to this

mine had recall but still broke down

Cant believe this is still a debate, I put mine off based on cash but cost me more in end as I couldn't wait so paid a lot more than I should have for decat pipes plus had to use a expensive garage for repairs...but still cheaper than a new engine or in deed car...but its everyone's freewill at the end of the day, but the problem is real and there are plenty that have lost engines and prevention is always better than a cure

Maybe we need a cat related engine failure section on the forum so those that have been unfortunate can be listed so other members can actually see the results instead of thinking its just opinions by a select few...

ok thanks for clearing it up.

Why bother. They ask a question .get an answer and still argue the toss.
All they want to hear is that they'e right.
Stuff em 😂

Maybe we need a cat related engine failure section on the forum so those that have been unfortunate can be listed so other members can actually see the results instead of thinking its just opinions by a select few...

could you not do a sticky and only keep comments in it with folk that have had a problem (either delete or move any other comments to another thread, that way the number of posts in the thread would count the number of owners effected, if you know what i mean.

Why bother. They ask a question .get an answer and still argue the toss.
All they want to hear is that they'e right.
Stuff em 😂

It's not about that buddy, I'm a mechanic and have seen plenty of cars and blocked cats at one time or another, Peugeot 1.4 turbo diesel was another car that seemed to be more common than most for blocking its cat. I'm more interested in why and what makes them different, i get the fact that the front cat breaking up will inevitably block the rears, cats (both front and rear) are like a honeycomb construction inside which clogs as the debris from the front cats are too big to pass through, this i understand and makes sense to me. What I don't understand at the moment is a definitive reason as to why the front cats break up in the first place (from what i hear/read it doesn't seem age or mileage related, it just happens), were they cheap cats that Nissan used, was it a bad batch or is it some other reason? Getting answers to this kind of thing would then maybe help when explaining to people why and how important it is rather than just that the masses do it and if you don't then hell mend you. It's all about education :)

From what I know, age/mileage isn't the major factor. From what I can gather it's to do with the number of times the cats have heated and cooled. So someone who has an Elgrand with 10k on the clock, but was used only for 2 miles trips (enough to get the cat hot and then cool again) would have caused more damage to the primary cats than another Elgrand that has 100k on the clock, but was used for 200 mile journeys every day.

But that's just my speculation, I have no idea how much truth is in that.

The models affected are right across the E51 range, from low mileage to high mileage. So it's not like there was just one batch in 2003 that were knackered.

The E52 has the same quad cat set up, as we start seeing more of them over here, chances are we'll see the same thing happening, unless something was done about the exhaust design.

But having read up about it, any quad cat setup is destined to cause problems at some point, because cats do eventually fail and start to fall apart. They are no different from anything else.

I wasn't aiming that on anyone. But only recently we had a bloke who consistently argued the toss saying he didn't and still doesn't believe.
Then a few days later puts pics up of him decoring them

I wasn't aiming that on anyone. But only recently we had a bloke who consistently argued the toss saying he didn't and still doesn't believe.
Then a few days later puts pics up of him decoring them

Steven Grice on Facebook - Internet Troll.

From what I know, age/mileage isn't the major factor. From what I can gather it's to do with the number of times the cats have heated and cooled. So someone who has an Elgrand with 10k on the clock, but was used only for 2 miles trips (enough to get the cat hot and then cool again) would have caused more damage to the primary cats than another Elgrand that has 100k on the clock, but was used for 200 mile journeys every day.

But that's just my speculation, I have no idea how much truth is in that.

The models affected are right across the E51 range, from low mileage to high mileage. So it's not like there was just one batch in 2003 that were knackered.

The E52 has the same quad cat set up, as we start seeing more of them over here, chances are we'll see the same thing happening, unless something was done about the exhaust design.

But having read up about it, any quad cat setup is destined to cause problems at some point, because cats do eventually fail and start to fall apart. They are no different from anything else.

Thanks for that Karl, that kind of thing makes sense to me, short runs affect all sorts of things on cars so that could well be a cause. We used to regularly get customers back at the garage (Ford Dealer) when diesels started being fitted with DPF's, one in particular was an old farmer who lived on an island and done mostly short journey and was never hard on his nice new pick up. The problem was due to all the short runs, the DPF never had the chance to go through the regeneration phase and subsequently blocked. I ended up speaking to him after his third visit where understandably he had started to get a bit peeved of with the fault, explained to him why the fault kept reoccurring and advised him that one a week he took the pick up for a nice drive and allow the revs to rise a bit higher than normal to clear it out. The guy never returned with the same fault again and was delighted when i next spoke to him at his service. So yes, short runs and possible condensation build up maybe could lead to the early failure (this after all has been rotting exhausts from the inside out since day dot lol).

Back