• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Sold an E50 Lemon?!

Hi @CantonasCollar, in your post #16 you said the garage and Nissan were unable to 'code read it's as opposed to there are no error codes - which one is it?

It's always worth getting your own code reader kit for a number of reasons, least of which is to be informed and avoid getting misinformation from garages.

Hi @CantonasCollar, in your post #16 you said the garage and Nissan were unable to 'code read it's as opposed to there are no error codes - which one is it?

It's always worth getting your own code reader kit for a number of reasons, least of which is to be informed and avoid getting misinformation from garages.
Morning Alan, I'm going to ring them at some point today but from what I could gather from the message is that it wasn't coming bank with any error code at all. Not that they couldn't read the error code.

Sounds like a worthwhile piece of kit, are there any that you could recommend at all Alan? Believe I'll be looking for a 14 pin OBD.

Morning Alan, I'm going to ring them at some point today but from what I could gather from the message is that it wasn't coming bank with any error code at all. Not that they couldn't read the error code.

Sounds like a worthwhile piece of kit, are there any that you could recommend at all Alan? Believe I'll be looking for a 14 pin OBD.
Boing!, forgive me jumping in!
ECUTalk cable and free download of Consult 1 software from here:
https://www.ecutalk.com.au/ecutalk.aspx 👍

i to will put another thing in the mix i seem to remember another member having a similar problem and it was the fuel pump seal i also had the same problem with both my delicas the Japanese original seals don't like the uk diesel and shrink hope you get to the bottom of this and it is an easy fix

i to will put another thing in the mix i seem to remember another member having a similar problem and it was the fuel pump seal i also had the same problem with both my delicas the Japanese original seals don't like the uk diesel and shrink hope you get to the bottom of this and it is an easy fix
Thanks Bob, that's very interesting, I'll add it to the list of possible issues! 👍

Cheers Malcolm, I appreciate the help. I don't currently have a bulb in the engine light, but will give this a go once it's in place, looks like a useful alternative to using a diagnostics piece of kit. 👍
No probs, as I said in earlier post u want a decent diesel mechanic, Elgrand might be jap import but are just a car , espo the 3.2 a gd solid basic motor

Morning Alan, ..........

are there any that you could recommend at all Alan? Believe I'll be looking for a 14 pin OBD.
Hi Nick,
I'm not up to speed with the 14 pin OBD stuff as I'm an E51 person and getting the right sort of code reader for that OBD system was a challenge.

There are folks with the 14 pin varieties - you'll need to give the appropriate forum section a good read (link).

Do make sure you buy kit that other members say definitely work. Alternatively if there is no direct recommend, post your possible purchase on here to ask opinions. I say this as advertiser blurb can be misleading.

And it is really good that so many members have suggested possible problems that in themselves are not major issues. I'm hoping that that you've not got a LEMON - maybe just a blown EML bulb and a fault that developed after your purchase rather than a deliberate ruse to sell you a duff'n!

PS - an after thought: if it were my vehicle and this was the first time I'd used a diagnostic tool and there were no error codes read, I'd deliberately induce an error to make sure the code reading side was working properley. On the E51 this is simple to do by disconnecting the plug to the MAF sensor.

I wonder if your garage did this to prove their code reading system was OK with your E50?

Last edited:
Was they not a adapter 14 to 16 plug sold or giving away on here not to long ago , ?!? I can’t remember name but if buyer is close maybe they can help

Was they not a adapter 14 to 16 plug sold or giving away on here not to long ago , ?!? I can’t remember name but if buyer is close maybe they can help
lol, that was me! 🤪

No, It adapts to the later E50’s that have a 16 pin socket, but they still use Consult 1 usb to 14 pin, not Consult 2 like the E51. I sold it to @Lukie if I remember correctly.

No, It adapts to the later E50’s that have a 16 pin socket, but they still use Consult 1 usb to 14 pin, not Consult 2 like the E51. I sold it to @Lukie if I remember correctly.
I have a 16 pin reader that works on my 3.5 e50 just wondering if plug and my reader would work

Okay next update! after thinking that the garage had run out of ideas the mechanic has fitted an EML light and carried out the pedal code reading diagnostics, he has said that through this it has emerged that it will need a new fuel filter and fuel pump. He's going to phone back later today to let us know what it is going to cost.

Afternoon all!
So it's not looking very good, he's saying that a reconditioned fuel pump is going to cost £1100 on its own before labour, so we're looking at around £1400 to get it sorted. Really not sure where to go with this, feeling absolutely gutted as is the wife as we had lots of adventures planned in it. Feel completely responsible for putting the idea out there to buy an Elgrand in the first place and making the purchase even though I was warned against it by father in law so am waiting for the told you so..... Looks like we could be a good couple of grand out of pocket and back to square one. Can't help but feel that I've been taken for a mug and had one done over on me. Our Elgrand journey looks like it's coming to a very abrupt end sadly. Can't see the point in forking out so much money to get this sorted when it's worth little more and more could very well go wrong in the near future. :(

Back