• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Resale values

Matt407

Active Newbie
North West
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Elgrand
Looking to buy
Region
North West
This may seem like a weird question seen as I’m still in the process of trying to buy one, but Is it difficult to sell an Elgrand?

I’m thinking, there’s probably a very limited market for people that want an imported car, then again for people who are prepared pay the running costs.

Main reason I ask is that I don’t tend to keep my cars that long. I have good intentions and plan on keeping the Elgrand for a few years and I think I will, but being realistic, I’ve said that before!
The longest I’ve kept a car so far is 8 months and I’ve been driving 24 years 😂

Interesting question and very valid.
You'll find outlets like MotorWay and Webuy don't want to know (i think, anyway), and I'm wondering what a dealer would be like if you strolled in with an Elgrand part X for a new car
Private of course is an obvious route, but that often is hardly a rosy experience: 'will you accept a grand mate'....for your £9K listed Elgrand etc etc, people not turning up to view when you made arrangements to show them etc. Time wasters basically.
I'd say one of your best bets is if you buy one from one of the places which usually sell Elgrands and you live fairly nearby one, selling one back to them shouldn't be too much fuss, but of course you're over the barrel a bit by what they offer you. given there are not loads of different selling routes, as per the case with a 'normal' car.

What you will find is that when you want one they are thin on the ground and expensive.

When you want to sell one, there are lots for sale and people want to offer you nothing for them.

What you will find is that when you want one they are thin on the ground and expensive.

When you want to sell one, there are lots for sale and people want to offer you nothing for them.
This is so true and always seems to happen to me. 😂

Interesting question and very valid.
You'll find outlets like MotorWay and Webuy don't want to know (i think, anyway), and I'm wondering what a dealer would be like if you strolled in with an Elgrand part X for a new car
Private of course is an obvious route, but that often is hardly a rosy experience: 'will you accept a grand mate'....for your £9K listed Elgrand etc etc, people not turning up to view when you made arrangements to show them etc. Time wasters basically.
I'd say one of your best bets is if you buy one from one of the places which usually sell Elgrands and you live fairly nearby one, selling one back to them shouldn't be too much fuss, but of course you're over the barrel a bit by what they offer you. given there are not loads of different selling routes, as per the case with a 'normal' car.
Yeah I think that makes sense. Buying Private and selling private is always going to be the best bet to not loose too much money. But buying from somewhere that might be open to buying it back is definitely an option.

Thanks for the reply.

Unless they're cheap they can be hard to sell .
Lots of people go the dealer route because they're worried about owning an import.
I'm like you I don't keep cars long .
And being a bit of an extravaganence I always do my research. Im currently waiting for my 15th Elgrand to arrive from Japan

I should re phrase that. It's my 15th I think. Bit I've only had 4 imported myself
Have you ever come a clanger doing that though, say owning an Elgrand with nothing wrong with it, selling it, getting another, but which turned out to be reliability nightmare?

Id say I've had about 10 good ones that were over 5k the rest I'd bought were for work. So I just generally abused them and the scrap.
I recently bought an old camper that turned out to be a lot more rotten than I'd hoped. I got my money back in parts though.
Depends what you want it for and budget really

This may seem like a weird question seen as I’m still in the process of trying to buy one, but Is it difficult to sell an Elgrand?

I’m thinking, there’s probably a very limited market for people that want an imported car, then again for people who are prepared pay the running costs.

Main reason I ask is that I don’t tend to keep my cars that long. I have good intentions and plan on keeping the Elgrand for a few years and I think I will, but being realistic, I’ve said that before!
The longest I’ve kept a car so far is 8 months and I’ve been driving 24 years 😂
Good question but doesn't apply to me, I think.
For me and my family...there's no alternative, so no selling Elgrand any time soon...unless p/x for another, better equipped E51

Last edited:
I wonder how many Transporter owners are concerned if they'll be able to sell!
I've seen warzone looking, beat up ones in carparks and seen their owners approached by randoms asking if their interested in selling!

I wonder how many Transporter owners are concerned if they'll be able to sell!
I've seen warzone looking, beat up ones in carparks and seen their owners approached by randoms asking if their interested in selling!
Transporters are better 👏

Attachments

• IMG20231230132035.jpg
    IMG20231230132035.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 16
When it comes to selling it's a lot to do with how much effort you go to when advertising and how much accountability you've taken for the car you're selling.

If you're able to tell people exactly where you got it from, provide the VX check or auction details from the dealer who imported it originally - any service history and prep that was done on arrival and in your ownership, you're going to be in a much better position than most people selling privately.

Also being able to take a half decent photo makes such a difference. You have more of a niche audience with the Elgrand and if you buy from a dealer you'll probably lose around 2k in value but most people buying from dealers probably aren't buying for short term ownership unless their situation changes drastically.

Not quite sure what Im going to do when it comes to sell mine in The Netherlands!
One major problem with me is my steering wheels on the wrong side and most of the Dutch spend more on their bicycles! :laughing:
Good luck with the search Matt! :p

Back