• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Jap car centre - are they trustworthy?

Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum, so excuse me if I'm out of order. I don't have an Elgrand, I came on this forum as I was buying a car from Japcarcenter and the site disappeared. It's changed its name to MPVHUB as it was getting mixed up with Jap Car Finder, a different company. I bought my car and found MPVHUB very obliging. Hope this helps. I had to post this to help clear any misunderstanding. Sorry if I've broken any rules, and I think your forum is had great wealth of knowledge for Elgrand owners.

Bit late to this thread, but I've just bought an Elgrand from JapCarCentre in Bradford. They have all been brilliant.
Extremely trustworthy, helpful and knowledgeable.
Reported

Bit late to this thread, but I've just bought an Elgrand from JapCarCentre in Bradford. They have all been brilliant.
Extremely trustworthy, helpful and knowledgeable.
Hmmmmm.........🧐

Hi just doing some homework, has anyone on here purchased from JapCarCentre in Bradford? Google list them as 4.8 from 32 reviews. Looking at a small economical runner, city car from them - Toyota IQ. The Elgrand is down currently as waiting for the 2.5 twin fan radiator to be in stock from dealer. Thier restock container is at the dock.

The Elgrand is down currently as waiting for the 2.5 twin fan radiator to be in stock from dealer. Thier restock container is at the dock.
I've seen around 4 2.5's fitted with a thermo-viscous fan, presumably from a 3.5, obvious that 3 of them originally had the electric fan setup because the fan wiring harness was still fitted. @Safety Mick 's 2.5 has a TV fan (I don't remember seeing an electric fan wiring harness on Mick's), could ask him to take a pic of his fan setup, iIrc it doesn't have a fan shroud so the setup should be easy to see in a picture.

Last edited:
I've seen around 4 2.5's fitted with a thermo-viscous fan, presumably from a 3.5, obvious that 3 of them originally had the electric fan setup because the fan wiring harness was still fitted. @Safety Mick 's 2.5 has a TV fan (I don't remember seeing an electric fan wiring harness on Mick's), could ask him to take a pic of his fan setup, iIrc it doesn't have a fan shroud so the setup should be easy to see in a picture.
@Lpgc - Matt at @AceImports has converted a 2.5 twin elec fan to use viscous fan, not sure if he took pics but said it was a straight forward enough job.

As for radiators - its common for people to use the twin fan rad from the 2.5 to replace the 3.5 single fan rad, the twin fan rad is slightly thicker.

@Ruppert - yes this will be true about the container as pretty sure I know who the restocker is.

Currently on a break in the forest, will take photo and stick on this thread when I get back to Ellie, tomorrow

Not sure if these photos help, hopefully they do, not ideal for fitting phone into the bayBD7F1142-DC5B-4412-ACC5-DC1924C7B104.jpeg93BC6EE8-BC31-4C78-85A9-0088C2FD4A8D.jpeg26CA5762-40D4-4439-8B3E-74DA18D5FEC6.jpeg3DE3E7BF-E628-4B4E-ADA2-16EC43D2D4D4.jpeg26CA5762-40D4-4439-8B3E-74DA18D5FEC6.jpeg

Attachments

• DCD651AA-36E6-4B6A-8897-C580A65BE60D.jpeg
    DCD651AA-36E6-4B6A-8897-C580A65BE60D.jpeg
    467.2 KB · Views: 0
Not sure if these photos help, hopefully they do, not ideal for fitting phone into the bayView attachment 83531View attachment 83532View attachment 83534View attachment 83535View attachment 83534
Thanks @Safety Mick those pictures help so much. Am incorrect in assuming you just used a viscous fan from the 3.5 and removed the 2.5 twin fans shroulding and fan controller? Did the fan bolt right on to the 2.5 water pump, was there a new pulley and longer belt needed? How are your temps compared to the original 2.5 twin fan set up?

Last edited:
Mick won't mind me answering on his behalf...

Mick didn't fit the TV fan, I noticed it had one when I converted it to LPG.

I'm not sure how it's bolted together, hence why I suggested Mick post pics. I expect it's just a 3.5 fan bolted in, but you should check your 2.5 has the same place to bolt it to (not sure if you need other bits besides just the fan).

I can confirm that the setup works great even without the shroud fitted. No overheating during driving or sat idling and at idle engine temp stays more constant (staying closer to 85C like the 3.5 instead of the usual 2.5's going up to 95+ before electric fans kick in).

Worth saying that later 3.5's don't have any electric fans, series 1 have an electric fan in front of the AC condenser but later series don't have an electric fan at all, just the TV fan.

I've seen more 2.5's with cooling system problems (radiator leaks etc) than 3.5's, I expect that's because 3.5's have the TV fan setup, not as many temp/pressure peaks.

Last edited:
No problem you answering Simon, yes it was this set up when I bought the van and again (no surprise) as you say, it has never had any issue with overheating.
To be honest it has always ran like a dream, and again got to say a big thanks to Simon as the lpg conversion is the best money I have spent on this van, paid for itself in six months.

Ok thanks @Lpgc and @Safety Mick for the help and support. We are waiting for the 2.5 radiator to come in. Once it's fitted and installed I'll look for the 3.5 single viscous fan parts and do the conversation later. I need to check as Simon suggest to see if my current 2.5 water pump has the provisions for the mounting of the 3.5 viscous fan and clutch with the 4 bolts and that it is centered. I have see on ebay the fan and a shroulding from a 3.5. We just want to get the Elgrand back on the road. Thanks everyone who chimed in for the amazing support.

Back