• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Im thinking of buying a Nissan Elgrand 2007, 3.5 automatic and was wondering about road tax, fuel and insurance. Please help

My Elgrands cost around the same to run in fuel costs as a 1.2 Corsa... Because I convert them to run on LPG. I have converted more than 700 Elgrands to run on LPG, mostly for members of this forum.
Hi how much does it cost to convert to LPG ?

@Lpgc is on holiday at the moment but might pop on.
He has done loads of Elgrands and is the best at LPG installs.
There are others but I have had 2 fitted by him and never had any problem with his work.

3.5 XL £280 for insurance.
Road Tax £325
Holiday from Lancashire to Moretonhampstead Devon 280miles average 33.6
Total trip average 28mpg.
Round town 18mpg
Being automatics, the engine is really unstressed making for relaxed long-distance cruising.
Looked into LPG conversions last November prices ranged from £2100 to £3200.

Didn't think it was worth the bother really.

Depreciation wise they seem to hold up fairly well.

Met a couple in Devon with a VW T6 Transporter they paid £32,000 for it, awful 2.0 diesel engine, with a mighty 178bhp they had it back twice for injector problems and once for a new EGR valve.
Let the guy have a drive in the Elgrand he couldn't believe how refined it was in comparison for the 10-year age difference, he went away feeling dejected, everyone kept telling him to buy a VW.

Hi how much does it cost to convert to LPG ?

As @dognero said I'm on holiday at the moment, sorry for missing your post the other day.

But I'll be back from holiday very soon and ready to take on more LPG conversion bookings.

I charge £2100 to convert 'standard' (as in not camper converted) E51 Elgrands, +£200 if they're camper converted because there's more work involved fitting the tank on camper converted Elgrands.

Can assure you of the best LPG conversion results... at any price. I'm sure you'd find cheaper and more expensive LPG conversions but mine are the best ;-)

Simon

I'm thinking of buying a Nissan Elgrand automatic 3.5. Was wondering how much, fuel, road tax and insurance might cost
Hi Clare,
Welcome along,
I would highly recommend taking one for a test drive, they are beautiful to drive
Ok if your using it as a second vehicle,
Am in the high lands at the moment and already put £280 in in petrol🤣🤣🚘
I got insurance with green light for £400
Fully comp with all modifications included,
All the best

I'm thinking of buying a Nissan Elgrand automatic 3.5. Was wondering how much, fuel, road tax and insurance might cost
Hi Clare

One other positive to mention is the fact that most of Japan doesn't use salt to grit its roads.

My Elgrand is a 2007 reg, the underside of the vehicle is literally like brand new, if you do take the plunge make sure you get it well undersealed!

I'm sure some of the guys on here can recommend a good place to get it done.

Like someone said earlier take one out for a drive, effortless on a long journey.

You can't really beat them on practicality and versatility either.

The dresser is 2m 80 tall, went in with room to spare. Airport runs are a doddle!

1693465342282.png

Hello 👋🏻

Reactions: guf
Love to see some pictures of that :)
I might have a photo somewhere, was back in the 1990's. I worked at a Workingmens Club and took the Darts team to competitions at other clubs. Was 6 on the back seat and 4 on the front bench seat. It was that big! Was 22 feet long. Must have weight over 3 tons.

I might have a photo somewhere, was back in the 1990's. I worked at a Workingmens Club and took the Darts team to competitions at other clubs. Was 6 on the back seat and 4 on the front bench seat. It was that big! Was 22 feet long. Must have weight over 3 tons.
Screenshot_20230831_175908_Chrome.jpg

Not the actual car, photo off net as example.

View attachment 93096

Not the actual car, photo off net as example.
Thats magnificent, you've got to love our American cousins, who else would come up with a two-door car like that!

Just been looking them up and found this:

"In November 1971 a stock 1971 Coupe deVille came in third in the annual coast-to-coast “Cannonball Run” logging the highest average speed at 84.6 mph and averaged 8.9 mpg."

Imagine how many fuel stops it must have made!

Yes get the LGP conversion, I've had my Elgrand a year and was on the fence about the LPG conversion, but so glad I got it. I've had 2.5 and 3.2 litre V6 cars in the past and thought how bad can an Elgrand really be... on the odd occasion I do run on petrol alone I'm horrified by how quickly the fuel gauge drops. It's scary.

Thats magnificent, you've got to love our American cousins, who else would come up with a two-door car like that!

"In November 1971 a stock 1971 Coupe deVille came in third in the annual coast-to-coast “Cannonball Run” logging the highest average speed at 84.6 mph and averaged 8.9 mpg."

Out of interest - how big is the tank on one? Bet it's not so small...
Googled it - 27 US gallons / 102 ltrs.

Out of interest - how big is the tank on one? Bet it's not so small...
Googled it - 27 US gallons / 102 ltrs.
Always fancied a 60's American land yacht, 23 foot long with an eight litre V8. Utterly pointless and totally desirable. Probably a bag o'shite to drive as well.
My favourite
1693508335823.png
They always tell you to never meet your hero's though .......

Attachments

• 1693508273717.png
    1693508273717.png
    957.4 KB · Views: 1
Lucky bugger, I'm just shy of £400
£280 with Diamond, 18 yrs no claims, but only 3000 miles per year. Strangely no more expensive than our little Aygo.

I would also say that you can fit an 8x4 sheet of plasterboard/plywood/insulation with the seats folded down, so they are ultra useful. 3m pipes and timbers also fit 👍. I've just used it to pick up a drum kit for my daughter too.

When I first got it the rocker covers were leaking oil. The go to place for American parts then was John Wolf Racing at Bedford. So armed with said gaskets I opened the 'Hood'. From the front I couldn't reach the engine, from either side I still couldn't reach, so I sat on top of the air filter housing and reached each side to change them!
On a trip out, late as usual, I put my foot down. After a couple miles blue lights came on behind. Pulled over. Cop walked around it, tut tutted, then said 'if you're going to do 120mph, can I suggest you get some new tyres Sir'! 'By the way, lovely car. I stopped you to look at it'! Those were the days lol.

HI Clare
If you do go for an LPG conversion don't forget to declare it to your insurance provider, it usually doesn't increase your premium.
Make provision to carry the spare wheel inside the vehicle or carry some tyre weld.

If you plan to go touring abroad (and the Elgrand is brilliant for that) bear in mind that you won't be able to use LeShuttle.

Most ferry companies are ok but make sure you notify them in advance and carry your certificates with you.
Some Mediterranean ferry lines can be a bit awkward requiring you to board using petrol with an empty LPG tank.
Get a set of adapters for filling in different countries, your LPG installer will be able to advise you.

Last edited:
Back