• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Hi... do you need to have the Elgrand de-cat or not.. had differing advise from sellers?

So I've been told by my dealer that they don't remove cats as good fuel and regular service will stop any issues. How true is this as all I've read is nothing but "you must remove at minimum the rear cats"

How much of a job is it to get the rear Cats done? Can any garage do this?
Find a decent dealer.

Thanks LeStempy. What bucks range we talking?
I got a vast array of quotes from about 10 different exhaust fabrication companies. Bob got lucky with his one for £1250 all in. The same place quoted me in excess of £2500. I was quoted approx £900 by Man2Automotive in Farnborough. A lot of places won't touch the front cats due to the legal implications, and the fact that it's a bastard of a job.

In the end, my front cats are still in (155k km), Stainless bypass pipes instead of secondary cats and Standard mid box from Adrian at Winchester Car imports finished with a imported back box from Ace imports....cost me £650 all in. Steve at Hampshire Elgrand Workshop was meant to be swapping out my front cats for a de-cored set last week, but I'm in a bit of a financial hole atm)....these things are a money pit.

Strikes me most if not all 'reputable/decent' dealers/importers are quite happy to do rear cats only as its obviously the cheap option....but as I think we can all accept its not a 100% guarantee.....so should it really be such a sales plus?
There is nothing wrong with purchasing a bus with all 4 cats intact if the rest of the spec meets your wishes, and the price is correct and you are happy to cost in removing front cats from a garage of your choice.
That was my decision and I recently got front cats decorred by Steve at Tojo (and an excellent job too)
Cost was about £500, and given the bus of my choice was I'd reckon a grand less than others of similar spec (and advertised with rear cars done) I would say it just made sense.

How would I find a local garage that could undertake such a task…

How would I find a local garage that could undertake such a task…
I guess that's down to personal searching. Steve at Tojo was not that local to me, 160 mile round trip but I a was able to leave it with him for a week while that job and few others were done.

Just bought it, took it to a local Elgrand mechanic and that's he said he'd suggest?
If you are lucky and the Elgrand has all four converters intact find a mechanic that’s prepared to remove the fronts and remove the catalyst and replace. It will pass an emissions test with the rears alone as long as there is no other issues with the engine. Give or take £300.

Or have it converted to LPG and have all cats removed and it'll pass the MOT if presented running on LPG. It'll stink a bit while on petrol though.

It is a relief when you get it done, I had the same feeling. Another little bonus is that the exhaust note sounded sportier on mine with de-cored rears.
I actually think mine sounds throatier after having the fronts decored, but then I might just be dreaming.....

It's got no cats so you have raw exhaust fumes. If you've been behind a vintage car or boy racer who's decatted his Nova then you know the smell.

It's got no cats so you have raw exhaust fumes. If you've been behind a vintage car or boy racer who's decatted his Nova then you know the smell.
A bit like that 1960s 1970s classic car smell when following them. I love that smell

I think the smell from a lot of classic car exhausts is more due to them burning oil and running rich than from the lack of cats.

If I were following an Elgrand (that didn't burn oil) running on petrol I don't think I could tell if it had cats fitted or not from the smell of the exhaust. I think back to driving in the early 90's when most cars on the road were built in the 80's and didn't have cats, I don't think the exhaust fumes smelled much different to today's exhaust fumes except for the odd car that burned oil (burned oil smell) or was running too rich (petrol smell).

Some Elgrands have cats decored after suffering cat failure. If someone were to smell the exhaust before the cat failure when working cats were still fitted and smell the exhaust again after the cat problem and cat decore, if the smell were much worse after the cat decore it could be because the cat failure caused the engine to burn a bit more oil rather than the cat decore making the difference?

If the petrol is high in sulphur content the cat will help reduce the hydrogen sulphide rotten egg smell by helping to turn it into odourless sulphur dioxide... But modern petrol contains less sulphur than petrol in the 80s and 90s and running too rich with cats fitted is more likely to give the rotten eggs smell than running too rich without cats.

Lpg wins on emissions because it contains much less sulphur and other contaminants than the lowest sulphur purest petrol or diesel and because there is a higher ratio of hydrogen versus carbon in the hydrocrabon make-up... Burn hydrogen and you get water, burn carbon and you get CO2, burn sulphur and you'll get some sulphur compounds out of the exhaust.

A bit like that 1960s 1970s classic car smell when following them. I love that smell
I still remember walking to primary school around the age of 6, a kid I went to school with only lived just around the corner but had his mum drop him off at school in their mk3 Cortina, on cold mornings she'd still got it on high choke when parked outside school with the engine running... I liked the smell and enjoyed walking past it lol.

Remember my uncle carrying chocolate in the glove box of his old *Wolseley 5/55 , & would taste of engine oil...😋🥴🤢

*(the one where the radiator badge would light up)...

Remember my uncle carrying chocolate in the glove box of his old *Wolseley 5/55 , & would taste of engine oil...😋🥴🤢

*(the one where the radiator badge would light up)...
That takes me back. I had a Wolesley 15/50 back in the early 80s bought for £50 at auction. Great car...auto gearbox, big luxurious leather seats, real walnut dash...and as you say the wonderful light up badge.
One of the few cars I've had which I can still remember the number plate for - CTA 611C.
Had a few years of luxurious motoring out of it until it went to the great scrapyard in the sky.

Back