• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Hi... do you need to have the Elgrand de-cat or not.. had differing advise from sellers?

So I've been told by my dealer that they don't remove cats as good fuel and regular service will stop any issues. How true is this as all I've read is nothing but "you must remove at minimum the rear cats"

How much of a job is it to get the rear Cats done? Can any garage do this?

Hi all. Anyone got a link for a decent rear de cat pipe that doesn't cost the earth? Cheers

So I've been told by my dealer that they don't remove cats as good fuel and regular service will stop any issues. How true is this as all I've read is nothing but "you must remove at minimum the rear cats"

How much of a job is it to get the rear Cats done? Can any garage do this?
What else have they ignored? Walk away... no actually run! 🙈

So for his £100 profit, he's willing to screw you over for £3k!!

Last edited:
So I've been told by my dealer that they don't remove cats as good fuel and regular service will stop any issues.
What an absolute loads of cobblers from that dealer - he needs to be publicly shamed for such blatant ignorance on the topic.
  1. firstly, irrespective of the brand of car, any car with a front and rear cat faces the same potential problem in that when (and it is when, not if) the front cat breaks up due to age, the debris can get stuck in the rear cat with then the potential to cause engine damaging back pressure.
  2. secondly, Nissan themselves put out recalls due to the ECU over-fuelling which led to uncombusted fuel getting into the cats and igniting there which in turn caused premature failure of the cats
  3. thirdly, there are so many tales of forum members having cat failure issues, and better that just stories, one member recently had photographic evidence of the cat breakup which unfortunately for them, had caused unrepairable engine damage and thus the scrapping of the vehicle.
So as has been suggested, if your dealer persists in such views then just go else where.

I got my car from an import agent and one of the things he told me right from the start was to get the rear cats sorted. And there's the difference - the import agent had no vested interest in the cats question whereas a dealer's bottom line is affected if they do the decoring.

What else have they ignored? Walk away... no actually run! 🙈
You don't need a fresh pcv. 95 RON E10 will be totally fine. The clock time can be changed.....🤭

I can't believe you're still talking about removing the secondary catalytic converters to prevent engine damage if the primaries fail.

I can't believe you're still talking about removing the secondary catalytic converters to prevent engine damage if the primaries fail.
Hmm, given recent happenings I think I'm veering more towards a complete removal and replacement of the front cats now too.
My secondaries are gone, but I don't like the thought of 18 year old front cats breaking down now, even with just 40k miles.

Unfortunately failing catalytic converters aren't millage related. They could last 200k or 25k

Er, I'm not clear on the point you're making here - can you clarify please?

With the cat problems that we know of, there's more than one permutation of what to do, de-core the rear cats being one of them. Maybe you have other preferences?

As new members join the question will get asked again and again, It’s day one of Elgrand ownership for some, the whole point surely is that we help each other to enjoy these fantastic motors?

As new members join the question will get asked again and again, It’s day one of Elgrand ownership for some, the whole point surely is that we help each other to enjoy these fantastic motors?
I think we are all here to help other members or to obtain help.
I think it's time to stop advising members to just remove secondary catalytic converters and your problems are solved. Personally I never understand the reason for this and was probably one of the first to remove the primary cats and ever since pushed for this option. How many more failed engines do you need before it sinks in.

Er, I'm not clear on the point you're making here - can you clarify please?

With the cat problems that we know of, there's more than one permutation of what to do, de-core the rear cats being one of them. Maybe you have other preferences?
If you feel comfortable with driving these vehicles with the original primary catalytic converters installed then that's your choice but I don't think it's a good advice to give to members that removing the secondary is the answer.

My opinion? If you remove secondary cats and primary cats break up it's possible a piece of the catalyst can block the centre exhaust box causing exhaust pressure to push catalyst dust into a combustion chamber from the opposing cylinder bank.
Unfortunately for @dognero this was the most likely reason for the damaged engine.

The advice doesn't say that and none of us are advocating that, the advice is get AT LEAST the secondary cats decatted.
The Primaries failing is the cause of the problem. So obviously get the primaries done if you can, if not they can still fail.

Last edited:
If you feel comfortable with driving these vehicles with the original primary catalytic converters installed then that's your choice but I don't think it's a good advice to give to members that removing the secondary is the answer.
I understand your point - if you look back at my post though, which was in answer to the OPs question about removing cats per se, in the 3 numbered paragraphs I simply discuss generalities of the problem. Then in the last paragraph I conveyed the story of what my import agent had said to me.

If you construed that as 'advice' then so be it - I was simply conveying what I know of the problem and my own experiences. Hopefully the OP will see the full round of discussions in this and other posts and draw their own clonclusion about what their dealer said to them, which I said then and say now is cobblers.
So I've been told by my dealer that they don't remove cats as good fuel and regular service will stop any issues.

But hey, this is the internet and this is IMHO - no more, no less.

Back