• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

HGV jobs

Is there still this shortage of hgv drivers then? Certain news outlets are beginning to imply that there'll be Christmas shortages due to lack of deliveries (and covid and Brexit) 🤔😏
Well there won't be a shortage of Care Bears, Ben 10 or Tonka trucks as I've collected loads of pallets of those from import services ready for trunking ooop north.

Blue tyre pen 😄👍. There was a lorry like that doing the same work parked at Southampton uni a few months back. I thought is that Mr Poppins but it was a different company
Central vac
And safe vac
Both white trucks but company belongs to us so could of been me

Is there still this shortage of hgv drivers then? Certain news outlets are beginning to imply that there'll be Christmas shortages due to lack of deliveries (and covid and Brexit) 🤔😏
Supposedly been a shortage longer than iv been driving 15 years but a lot of job adverts are agency fake jobs

Yea it was white and parked up in a fenced of area roughly here

Is that at the university out of 85 there's only 8 that stay away from liverpooo area and do far north east south or west so could of very likely been me

Yea soton uni. On the site where 2 pubs once stood. I was stood right next to it too, but as it wasn't blue thought it wasn't you. It wasn't long after you put the pic up of you washing yours. I'd never heard of that kind of work until you posted that and then I go and see one.

Well there won't be a shortage of Care Bears, Ben 10 or Tonka trucks as I've collected loads of pallets of those from import services ready for trunking ooop north.
Haha Import Services😉dock gate 20 or hedge end🤔we go in there a fair bit,one of those 'how long today ?' type places😉

Haha Import Services😉dock gate 20 or hedge end🤔we go in there a fair bit,one of those 'how long today ?' type places😉
Lambert Brothers? Rawlings? None of the above? Dock gate 20 (gate C) gate A is a pain in the arse. The last time I done hedge end I took my tacho break then waited another hour or so then they had to re label every pallet lol. So I was there around 2.5hrs. At Associated pallets the other week I was there for 3hrs. Does my head in so I'm happy I've got the job doing cages for one stop.
I've wanted to do that for years but for co-op, except they moved to Andover which killed that idea. Doing the curtains, lowering/raising the legs and strapping loads is a physical as it gets ATM. I feel like I'm going to waste away and get old and decrepit. I see the guys waiting for the straddle cranes to load their containers and think jeez how can they enjoy that. No wonder they're usually fat.

Just see the posts on wages, my salary will be £39,060, plus driving style bonus worth up to £2400, plus o/t. £50k is what some are earning there but I'll be more than happy with £40k and it won't take much to exceed that.

Lambert Brothers? Rawlings? None of the above? Dock gate 20 (gate C) gate A is a pain in the arse. The last time I done hedge end I took my tacho break then waited another hour or so then they had to re label every pallet lol. So I was there around 2.5hrs. At Associated pallets the other week I was there for 3hrs. Does my head in so I'm happy I've got the job doing cages for one stop.
I've wanted to do that for years but for co-op, except they moved to Andover which killed that idea. Doing the curtains, lowering/raising the legs and strapping loads is a physical as it gets ATM. I feel like I'm going to waste away and get old and decrepit. I see the guys waiting for the straddle cranes to load their containers and think jeez how can they enjoy that. No wonder they're usually fat.
Parent company of Waitrose 😉😉my record for waiting is 21hours😲😲Argos NDC Bridgewater, in in 2002(on agency back then)they had to strip,check re-label and load a full trailer of yamaha pallets onto their own 'special' pallets,then having waited most of following day they couldn't find all of my paperwork 😲, I do a lot of backhauls/supplier collections ,last Friday was at gxo West hallam for 6 hrs 20 mins for 20 pallets.......there was a security incident and the whole site was locked down😲was lucky to get back inside my 15 hrs.been doing this job long enough to not bother me too much😉but tell the newbies they may not get home sometimes and they don't seem to understand 🤔

That's why I'm off to do cages to shops. I just can't stand waiting around. No waiting to be loaded or tipped, just me cracking on as quickly as possible. When I done vending I didn't even have a break, just 9-10 hrs straight through and eat on the go. The day would fly by.

That's why I'm off to do cages to shops. I just can't stand waiting around. No waiting to be loaded or tipped, just me cracking on as quickly as possible. When I done vending I didn't even have a break, just 9-10 hrs straight through and eat on the go. The day would fly by.
Yep,mostly cages to shops but I don't mind backhauls usually,just on occasion it's crappy but we have a wide enough selection of runs including Waitrose that it stops it getting too mundane,worst part of day can be queueing to fill up with gas at end of shift,15 to 20 minutes per truck and if there's 3 or 4 on each of our2 gas pumps you know you'll be a while,17 trucks queueing at one time is record so far😲many hours overtime for guys just waiting to fuel up😲then the pm guys have to wait to get a truck then they're late back..........and so it goes😡🤬

Ah balls, you just made me remember there is waiting involved ....to get rid of all the cardboard. I saw a long queue of lorries the other week of Tesco & One Stop ones into XPO. Thanks

Ah balls, you just made me remember there is waiting involved ....to get rid of all the cardboard. I saw a long queue of lorries the other week of Tesco & One Stop ones into XPO. Thanks
Management issues😉 could be better if drivers were able to arrange stuff🤔

I did my Class 2 and that was where it ended. I realised before I did my test that it wasn’t for me. But she can get 36.5k/year at Bidfood Gateshead as a class 2 multi drop. However it’s long hours and hard graft. Warburtons and greggs are both good payers like

I applied to brakes for the same money as above, Class 2. Felt it was custom made for me. Now they're advertising again...too late. Used to see the bidfood/bidvest guy delivering in West quay and liked the look of that too. Dragging a loaded pallet up the slope to the lift just as I was too.

I applied to brakes for the same money as above, Class 2. Felt it was custom made for me. Now they're advertising again...too late. Used to see the bidfood/bidvest guy delivering in West quay and liked the look of that too. Dragging a loaded pallet up the slope to the lift just as I was too.
My dads worked for them since I was a bairn I remember waving him off to his interview so must be coming up 30 years it was booker fitch when he started, then bookers, the. 3663/bidvest/bidfood

Bairn? Must be a northern thing‽ I remember the 3663 lorries. Used to fill the coke machine at their Southampton depot
Oh and Greggs drivers bring back so much food you never need to take your own. I used to see the Greggs driver in Festival place each morning and when he got back to his lorry he'd load me up with bloomers lol. I'd end up eating my sandwiches for tea instead. He said it just gets dumped as they can't sell it and not allowed to give it away.

Last edited:
Back