• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

HGV jobs

Where I live is on the north east coast and there's a bonus to that because the tide comes in and deposits small pieces of coal on the high-tide line. Sometimes there'd be lots of it so as a kid in the early 1950's one of my jobs was to go with my brother and collect this seacoal into sacks and take it home for the fire. Just about everybody in the area who could did this.
Scrape it into a heap, shovel it into sacks, put three sacks onto an old bike with no tyres on, push it across soft sand to the nearest track and then push it the mile or so home.

Free coal - and very clean burning - what's not to like? Two things for starters;-
1 It was often ruddy freezing!
2 The seacoal had just been deposited by the waves of the North Sea so was cold and wet and this leaked out of the sacks all the way home and soaked your leg as you tried to balance the sacks.

Then I grew up and got a job as a binman and found out what happened to all those ashes.
Round the back of the house, grab a bin, hoist it onto your shoulder? Not these bins! They weighed a TON and only the hard cases hoisted them. The muscle-challenged wimps like me rolled them to the bin wagon and waited until another wimp arrived so that we could help each other to empty them both into the wagon.
If you got one at 7.30am there was a good chance that the ashes would still be hot and glowing as they would have just been emptied from the grate before the man of the house set off for work. In the winter you could see which ones they were because they made the bin glow red.
Sea coalers now that is hard graft, not as many doing it now but still see a few off Seaton beach and in the bay beside the yacht club.
Not using the old army wagons or Land Rover pick ups now tho.
Some big money made by some during the miners strike

We have bin"persons" now and some are very small. Built like tiny children.
And they won't wheel your bin the 10ft to the automatic lifter unless it's in the correct position and the handle is facing the correct way.

Then they like to leave the bins blocking the driveway so that I have to get out and move them, usually in the driving rain, before I can park on my drive.
😡
Some of our bin operatives have been on and passed the same bin abandonment course.

Funny them bin people, they only replace your bin outside your gate or if really lucky just inside your gate in the couple of weeks leading up to Christmas
😇
I wonder why ⛄

Look at AV Dawson, (local in Mbro), currently advertising earning up to 50K (same as a train driver) and with local runs the driver gets home each night to own bed.
Maybe too good to be true but that is the advert on TFM radio.
I always ignore job adverts that say "salary up to..." as much as I avoid buying something saying "prices starting at...."

Last edited:
Some of our bin operatives have been on and passed the same bin abandonment course.
Binmen do my head in (apologies to any who are members!) Perfect case in point was, few years ago in a previous house, we had heavy snowfall so I moved the car off the drive and left the bin on the clear tarmac that was under the car. Nice young bin lad came up my drive as I was leaving the house, as he puts his hands on my bin his oppo shouts "oi! Leave it, they are meant to be on the kerb" I dragged the bin the three feet to the kerb for him

Ahh binmen, what a crock of shit they can be.
Same here, just dump the bins blocking the drive so on a busy road we had to get out of the car holding up the traffic to move it, much to everyone's delight! It's OK if I have done my hair and I am looking hot but if I have just popped out and I am in my Muppet PJs* it's embarrassing

*NB, I do not go out in PJs.

In all seriousness I got so fed up with it I emailed the council who contacted the binmen, it worked for 2 weeks then turned to shit to so I emailed them again, ok for a couple of weeks then back to blocking the drive, ended up emailing probably 10 times in the end but seems ok now thank God.

Bellends.

George all the best to your Daughter xx

haha ive just come on to shut the computer down and watch a film oh and ive had a few so best not ;):joy::joy::joy::joy:

My 40 year old daughter has been offered free training up to HGV 1 or 2 .
She currently drives a van and drives 25k or more a year and has a clean licence.
We must have a few HGV drivers on here so I thought I'd pick your brains on her behalf.
What's good and what's bad?
What's to grab and what's to avoid like the plague?
I've seen a lot more women drivers recently but is it safe enough for them?
Any information or advice would be welcomed.
Hiya

I drive HGV1 in partnership with Amazon just trunking from the big fulfillment centres and Flex depots on nights.
Starting from anywhere between 16:00 to 00:00.
Hourly pay is daytime 18ph and nights 21ph. 05:00 to 22:00 is days 22:00 to 05:00 is nights. 4 on 4 off OT is always available
Since Apr my gross pay is currently at just under 45K so will go up a bit until end of tax year.
Rarely do i go to the full 12h usually done at 10h. 1 run i have done a few times is 6h in total and covers 75miles between 3 local sites in east mids.
If you finish before time you still get the full 12h pay and if your run is cancelled you can stay home with the full 12h pay, or a bonus is you do another run and get paid for both so double time basically.

You are only in secure yards access via gatehouse on big sites and security operated barrier at smaller sites, so totally safe inside.
I have only a couple of times needed to stop for breaks outside of these areas due to traffic issues.
All big sites have a drivers lounge, free drinks machines, comfy seating TVs etc.
I have seen many female drivers and some of them easily outshine some of the old goats who think they know it all.
All the gate staff and yard staff are polite and helpful, even giving tips to newer drivers.
Only last week at EMA a shunter driver got in passenger side and helped a new driver park who was struggling a bit.
Not heard of anyone being mistreated at all, if you do mistreat then you are banned from all sites thus rendering you unemployed.

So the morel is some HGV jobs are much better than others.

Good luck

Last edited:
Got my class 1 many moons ago on the promise of lots of jobs and big paychecks...

Turns out at the time there were very few jobs and wage was not far from minimum wage.

Yes you could help make it up through overtime etc but was spending a lot of time away from home.

HGV jobs seem to pay better now and that Amazon job sounds like a winner.

I moved from HGV to Heavy plant where the money is slightly better and you aren't under VOSAs evil eye all the time plus no need for the pointless CPC which is just a money making scheme.

I miss the driving though.

The company I work for has a few lady's working on the wagons and they have no bother.

Them cliff roads are insane

I couldn't pass the medical till 2013 because of a weak left eye which couldn't be corrected. Once I finally passed I didn't do my training as there was no guarantee of work after substantial training costs and there was not a worth while increase of my pay at the time, everyone wanted 2 years min experience and the hours were long. I worked job & knock so was time rich which was really nice.
Now many more take on new drivers, the pay has gone up massively, I'm also used to working 40-70hrs a week driving buses. I would like to think the bus driving experience would make me more desirable than a complete newbie. Time will tell

I couldn't pass the medical till 2013 because of a weak left eye which couldn't be corrected. Once I finally passed I didn't do my training as there was no guarantee of work after substantial training costs and there was not a worth while increase of my pay at the time, everyone wanted 2 years min experience and the hours were long. I worked job & knock so was time rich which was really nice.
Now many more take on new drivers, the pay has gone up massively, I'm also used to working 40-70hrs a week driving buses. I would like to think the bus driving experience would make me more desirable than a complete newbie. Time will tell
You would think but I was teaching a driver last week who had been on busses for years and even though he had passed couldn't revers for toffe I'm glad we only did motorway and big yards as he wouldn't of got through town or the farms

You talk about reversing, at times I couldn't even drive forward 😳😆

The day after getting a full clean assessment lol, it was my fault as I was trying to avoid an ex employee who would keep coming out of his newly acquired chippy to get change of a £20 from the drivers 😡

There are certainly plenty of pros to being a female HGV driver! First and foremost, there is now an ever-increasing demand for women in the haulage industry - and as such, there are more opportunities than ever before to get into this career. And with the gender pay gap still, very much an issue in many industries, being a female HGV driver can actually be quite financially advantageous. This great opportunity was the reason I went to this HGV training provider.

Of course, it's not all about the money! Many women find that they actually enjoy the slightly less traditional role of being an HGV driver. It can be empowering and liberating to feel like you're doing something slightly different from what is 'expected' of you - and it can also be a lot of fun!

And they won't take them if the lid is slightly ajar.

I was a bin person once for 2 days on agency. It pissed with rain for 2 days, I got blisters on my feet, the driver farted in my face and I kicked off and the crew said no no leave it. Then I got stung by a wasp that was in the knot of a bin bag. Yea pre wheelie bins (1992/3).

My HGV or if you prefer LGV journey starts tomorrow morning. Nervous and excited. For reference the largest vehicle I've regularly driven is this bus and that's a National express coach alongside it. This one's about 1.5m-2m longer than that other I posted.

Back