• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel gauge recall

Righto, so I found this. I believe it to be the fix for e51 fuel gauge affixed to a cluster.
Can anyone confirm This is actually ALL I need? Like there isn’t any additional bits of loom or sorsery required.

AND, can I just whip that loom and plastic box off the back of that cluster, and slap it on my own cluster and have a working fuel gauge again?

*edit. For what it’s worth, my faulty fuel gauge is in my 2004 series 2, ME51 Elgrand.
I’m just not sure if there is any distinction between the different series. This cluster appears to be from regular 2WD while mine is the 4WD, so again, plug and play?

Last edited:
Righto, so I found this. I believe it to be the fix for e51 fuel gauge affixed to a cluster.
Can anyone confirm This is actually ALL I need? Like there isn’t any additional bits of loom or sorsery required.

AND, can I just whip that loom and plastic box off the back of that cluster, and slap it on my own cluster and have a working fuel gauge again?

That’s the module alright and I think you can transfer it
Maybe @LeStempy can confirm this as I believe he’s had a little experience

That’s the module alright and I think you can transfer it
Maybe @LeStempy can confirm this as I believe he’s had a little experience
Nice one. I did just add a little bit of additional info.

No chance of a Nissan recall in New Zealand. They don’t want to know about it, even when offered to simply supply the plastic box and loom all paid for. So the only option for me is to snaffle one from elsewhere.

Yep, that's the one. If in all likelyhood it's for a series 1 it won't fit directly onto a series 2 cluster, but you can remove the loom and the small circuit board as suggested and use them without the black plastic frame.

In saying that. I’m assuming the critical part is that plastic box with the screws in it, and knowing where to splice the wires into an existing loom sans the plastic box like what’s on the back of the cluster I already own.

The plastic box is not a separate thing, but the circuit board inside just plugs in to the loom.

I ran out at 47km showing on the guage display, so now I know what "dry" is, I know how to avoid it.

I ran out at 47km showing on the guage display, so now I know what "dry" is, I know how to avoid it.
Mine did too for a while. 77KM actually, then it was 125KM… I could have lived with it if it was reliably wrong but I’m tired of dragging a gas can around now.

That's series 2 so it should just be a matter of removing the whole black plastic cover and refitting it to yours if also a series 2.
Awesome. That is good news, even if it’s from 2WD and being fitted to 4WD?

That you for your knowledge anyway. Much appreciated!

Yes, makes no difference to the fuel gauge mod whether 2WD or 4WD as it's only the back cover that's replaced.

*edit. For what it’s worth, my faulty fuel gauge is in my 2004 series 2, ME51 Elgrand.
I’m just not sure if there is any distinction between the different series. This cluster appears to be from regular 2WD while mine is the 4WD, so again, plug and play?

Yep that's what I had fitted to my S2 for the recall. Have also imported these full clusters that have been done for sale previously.

Hey Sonic Attack. Where did you score this, and how much. I'm in Auckland too, been looking but not many NZ imports have had it done.
I'd love to find one...e51 series 2.

Just to add to the support on this fuel gauge recall to help others I have found that there is a sticker on the inside door jam that they Japan Nissan adds when the recall is performed with the recall number for the fuel guage. Mine has the 4443IMG_20240414_083203.jpgScreenshot_20231208_121344_com.android.chrome_1.jpgScreenshot_20240414_084425.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240414_083214.jpg
    IMG_20240414_083214.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 6
Handy to know Ruppert, that will make looking at a wreckers much easier...cheers

Righto, so the pic below should clear up a couple questions for users whom the fuel gauge fix doesn’t apply. Specifically New Zealand, as far as I can tell our local authority doesn’t deem a functioning fuel gauge as a safety issue, so Nissan NZ isn’t required to fulfill the recall for our Elgrands. Regardless of how much you beg or reason, Nissan NZ doesn’t want to know so you’re on your own.

I’d be almost positive New Zealand isn’t alone there and there’s likely owners in other nations scratching their heads re their dodgy fuel gauge.

The actual fix is a pretty simple circuit board and a loom connecting everything affixed to the rear of your instrument cluster. Someone else would be able to explain it better but essentially I’ll describe it as a bypass between your in tank fuel pump/filter/sender, and the dicey circuit components relating to the fuel gauge inside your instrument cluster. Probably not technically correct but that’s the underlaying gist.

The recall component in its entirety includes the rear cover of your cluster. You simply remove your instrument cluster from the dash, then remove the rear cover and replace it with the “recall cover” which includes a piece of loom, and the additional circuit board affixed under the plastic lid with the two screws illustrated in the cluster at the top of the pic. This cluster at the top of the pic is the complete E51 series 2 fuel gauge fixed cluster.

The rear of a regular E51 cluster without the fuel gauge fix, of any series, once removed from the dash of your vehicle is blank. No loom, no screws holding the lid on a circuit board.

The bottom of the attached pic shows an E51 series 1 rear panel. You’ll notice I hacked a big rectangle hole out of it, I did this to rob the case component of the rear panel which houses the “recall fix” circuit board. Because this loom and circuit board was required for a Series 2 E51. You can see my handy work of tying these pieces together in the loom sitting between the complete S2 cluster on top, and the S1 rear panel on bottom.

There are some differences between S1 and S2 Elgrand instrument clusters, most notably the location of the small loom connection from your dash into the cluster top left. The series 2 cluster has moved this connector inboard on the panel by about 10-15mm, so the series 1 rear panel won’t fit onto a series 2 cluster without some modification to that connector location. There’s other differences too, so it just made more sense to me to sacrifice the S1 rear panel in order to simply have the piece of that rear panel I hacked out that encloses the fuel gauge fix circuit board.

Both looms and circuit board from the Series 1 cluster and the Series 2 cluster were identical. Same part number, same everything. I fitted both Series 1 and Series 2 recall fixes into my series 2 4x4 E51 and both behaved the same. Everything lit up on my dash, my instrument cluster behaved perfectly fine. Neither of the recall fix clusters I purchased were from a 4x4, so there is no distinction between any different build for the purpose of the fuel gauge recall fix.

The small circuit board included with the fuel gauge fix is a standalone item. It’s not tied or connected directly to the existing innards of your instrument cluster. It’s only connection is via the additional loom supplied with the recall fuel gauge fix.

A bit long winded I know. Someone might want to know though.

Not long winded at all, personally i like posts that explain step by step with pictures by someone actually doing the job.

Thanks for taking the time to share the information.

...and thanks for scoring me the part Rod. Ill let you know how the installation went when i do it. Cheers.

Righto, so the pic below should clear up a couple questions for users whom the fuel gauge fix doesn’t apply. Specifically New Zealand, as far as I can tell our local authority doesn’t deem a functioning fuel gauge as a safety issue, so Nissan NZ isn’t required to fulfill the recall for our Elgrands. Regardless of how much you beg or reason, Nissan NZ doesn’t want to know so you’re on your own.

I’d be almost positive New Zealand isn’t alone there and there’s likely owners in other nations scratching their heads re their dodgy fuel gauge.

The actual fix is a pretty simple circuit board and a loom connecting everything affixed to the rear of your instrument cluster. Someone else would be able to explain it better but essentially I’ll describe it as a bypass between your in tank fuel pump/filter/sender, and the dicey circuit components relating to the fuel gauge inside your instrument cluster. Probably not technically correct but that’s the underlaying gist.

The recall component in its entirety includes the rear cover of your cluster. You simply remove your instrument cluster from the dash, then remove the rear cover and replace it with the “recall cover” which includes a piece of loom, and the additional circuit board affixed under the plastic lid with the two screws illustrated in the cluster at the top of the pic. This cluster at the top of the pic is the complete E51 series 2 fuel gauge fixed cluster.

The rear of a regular E51 cluster without the fuel gauge fix, of any series, once removed from the dash of your vehicle is blank. No loom, no screws holding the lid on a circuit board.

The bottom of the attached pic shows an E51 series 1 rear panel. You’ll notice I hacked a big rectangle hole out of it, I did this to rob the case component of the rear panel which houses the “recall fix” circuit board. Because this loom and circuit board was required for a Series 2 E51. You can see my handy work of tying these pieces together in the loom sitting between the complete S2 cluster on top, and the S1 rear panel on bottom.

There are some differences between S1 and S2 Elgrand instrument clusters, most notably the location of the small loom connection from your dash into the cluster top left. The series 2 cluster has moved this connector inboard on the panel by about 10-15mm, so the series 1 rear panel won’t fit onto a series 2 cluster without some modification to that connector location. There’s other differences too, so it just made more sense to me to sacrifice the S1 rear panel in order to simply have the piece of that rear panel I hacked out that encloses the fuel gauge fix circuit board.

Both looms and circuit board from the Series 1 cluster and the Series 2 cluster were identical. Same part number, same everything. I fitted both Series 1 and Series 2 recall fixes into my series 2 4x4 E51 and both behaved the same. Everything lit up on my dash, my instrument cluster behaved perfectly fine. Neither of the recall fix clusters I purchased were from a 4x4, so there is no distinction between any different build for the purpose of the fuel gauge recall fix.

The small circuit board included with the fuel gauge fix is a standalone item. It’s not tied or connected directly to the existing innards of your instrument cluster. It’s only connection is via the additional loom supplied with the recall fuel gauge fix.

A bit long winded I know. Someone might want to know though.
Excellent work. I used a similar method but rather than cut up the back plate I bought a small electronics project box just the right size for the PCB and used double sided sticky pads to attach it.

Back