• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel gauge recall

I now have mine booked in for the fuel gauge recall, does anyone have an idea of how long the work should take? Hoping to wait whilst they do it but this is the first they have done!

I just tried to send email to them for the recall check and received this message.

Address not found
Your message wasn't delivered to postoffice@nisan.co.jp because the address couldn't be found, or is unable to receive mail.

Does anyone have an alternative email for the fuel gauge recall check?
Nissan has to s’s check the address

Hi @ballbluehorse this posting may help in getting your recall sorted .
I contacted Nissan GB customer services gb@Nissan-services.eu and stated that Japan had approved the work (cc'd the email from Japan) and would pay for the recall, they then approved the work to be done at a local dealer. Only about an hours work but the dealer also did a video inspection report of the underside of the vehicle as part of the service. I had to take it to a dealer slightly further away as they had more senior technicians and had not done this before. Don't take no for an answer, as long as the dealer knows they will be paid by Nissan for parts and labour they should be OK.

This all looked rather promising, however I received the following this morning from Nissan Japan. Has anyone received similar and have they managed to convince Nissan Japan to pay for the work

“For your reference, currently we take our position not to allow providing information/support for the market that the vehicles are not developed or manufactured since we do not recommend exporting Japanese specification vehicles to other countries”

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
This all looked rather promising, however I received the following this morning from Nissan. Has anyone received similar and have they managed to convince Nissan Japan to pay for the work

“For your reference, currently we take our position not to allow providing information/support for the market that the vehicles are not developed or manufactured since we do not recommend exporting Japanese specification vehicles to other countries”

Thanks in advance!
Horse crap assume thats from Nissan UK dealer? It basically means they dont want to do the work and may be easier just to try the next garage.

Horse crap assume thats from Nissan UK dealer? It basically means they dont want to do the work and may be easier just to try the next garage.
Sadly not - it is from Nissan Japan itself. I guess they have had a change of heart? It seems pointless approaching a Nissan UK dealer without written support from Nissan Japan (or worse, written non-support) but I guess I could still try that!

Oh maybe it is now a change of heart from them that is disappointing. Maybe try again on new email and get another person who is having a better day :D

This all looked rather promising, however I received the following this morning from Nissan Japan. Has anyone received similar and have they managed to convince Nissan Japan to pay for the work

Thanks in advance!
I had the same email response yesterday , but luckily the recall work was carried out in Japan before it was shipped to U.K.

Thanks - out of interest, if yours had had it done, why did Nissan Japan mention they would not be responsible? Did they specifically confirm your vehicle had had the recall? I ask because the email actually wasn’t abundantly clear - Nissan Japan didn’t confirm the recall had been carried out but I guess they didn’t explicitly say it hadn’t been either! The gauge is a bit awry but I don’t know whether it is exactly the right symptoms as what the recall is for - it only ever shows itself to be too full and never not full enough and usually goes down rapidly over 30 minutes (no jokes please) to settle at about what I think is the right level. Then if I start it again, the gauge will show the tank to be fuller than it is and settle again at the right-ish level after 30 minutes or so….. and so on, so 30 mins into a journey I know how much fuel I have left and until that point I’m pretty sure, based on my last journey. Doesn’t work for short journeys obviously but I don’t tend to do them in the Elgrand

Reading the reply from Nissan Japan again, I think I misread it. They are not confirming whether the car has had the recall, but asking me to ask a Nissan dealer to ask Nissan GB to ask Nissan Japan if the car has had the recall. This seems most odd. If it hasn’t had the recall, I suspect I am on my own though.

Thanks - out of interest, if yours had had it done, why did Nissan Japan mention they would not be responsible? Did they specifically confirm your vehicle had had the recall? I ask because the email actually wasn’t abundantly clear - Nissan Japan didn’t confirm the recall had been carried out but I guess they didn’t explicitly say it hadn’t been either! The gauge is a bit awry but I don’t know whether it is exactly the right symptoms as what the recall is for - it only ever shows itself to be too full and never not full enough and usually goes down rapidly over 30 minutes (no jokes please) to settle at about what I think is the right level. Then if I start it again, the gauge will show the tank to be fuller than it is and settle again at the right-ish level after 30 minutes or so….. and so on, so 30 mins into a journey I know how much fuel I have left and until that point I’m pretty sure, based on my last journey. Doesn’t work for short journeys obviously but I don’t tend to do them in the Elgrand

Nissan stated that in the first email, as I just asked them about the re call, but I didn’t supply the VIN number, 2nd email after they checked , Nissan stated it was repaired

Nissan stated that in the first email, as I just asked them about the re call, but I didn’t supply the VIN number, 2nd email after they checked , Nissan stated it was repaired
Ah ok - Nissan Japan I assume. That’s odd, because I supplied the vin and they essentially said they wouldn’t tell me but Nissan GB could ask them and they would tell them. I will keep plugging away at everyone.

Ah ok - Nissan Japan I assume. That’s odd, because I supplied the vin and they essentially said they wouldn’t tell me but Nissan GB could ask them and they would tell them. I will keep plugging away at everyone.
Yes Japan Nissan

What is the the issue with the gauge if the recall hasn’t been done. How can I tell if mines been done 🤔

Hi @Avza123 if you go back to my post you'll see the pictures I took of the add on electronic board and harness that was installed. Post #20 Mine was done previously in Japan. You can find the instructions on what to do if you need the recall performed. From what I understand the fuel gauge reads very incorrectly. For some it was showing fuel and they had run out. Hope this helps.

Hi @Avza123 if you go back to my post you'll see the pictures I took of the add on electronic board and harness that was installed. Post #20 Mine was done previously in Japan. You can find the instructions on what to do if you need the recall performed. From what I understand the fuel gauge reads very incorrectly. For some it was showing fuel and they had run out. Hope this helps.

Thats what happened to me yesterday. Was showing 1/4 tank of fuel but it had ran out. I had total power loss when started engine and trying to drive off. Was thinking all sorts, maybe engine gone!! I’ll have read of your post. Many thanks

Thats what happened to me yesterday. Was showing 1/4 tank of fuel but it had ran out. I had total power loss when started engine and trying to drive off. Was thinking all sorts, maybe engine gone!! I’ll have read of your post. Many thanks
Hope you get it sorted. From others experience once the Nissan dealer in your area get the approval to do the repairs it shouldn't take long. First you have to contact Nissan Japan via the email and they will provide authorization for the work and parts to be under the recall at no cost to you. There is a post outlining where to email and what to say. I did not have to do this but I did contact Nissan Japan and they did reply back with what I needed. All the best 👍🏼

Hi,

I've contacted Nissan JP about the fuel gauge recall and this is what they replied with:

This is in reply to your email dated May 9, 2023, concerning your Nissan Elgrand. First, thank you for your patronage of our products.

Regarding your inquiry, there is the fuel gauge recall R717 on the vehicle with the chassis number ME51-*****

R-717
http://www.Nissan.co.jp/RECALL/DATA/report4443.html

We would like to recommend you ask a Nissan dealer to contact Nissan UK regarding the matter. Our related department in Japan will provide Nissan UK with the vehicle information.

For your reference, currently we take our position not to allow providing information/support for the market that the vehicles are not developed or manufactured since we do not recommend exporting Japanese specification vehicles to other countries.

Your understanding would be highly appreciated.

Sincerely yours,

Customer Contact Center
Nissan MOTOR Co., LTD.
Japan

Hi,

I've contacted Nissan JP about the fuel gauge recall and this is what they replied with:
Does this mean the recall is not covered in UK anymore? 😏

Back