• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

You must get on some good trips to be considering the tank range :).
Or drive at lightning speeds and cover twice the distance in the time as everyone else :joy:.
I'd need to stop for a wee before my tank was empty :eek:.
Iv been hungry Poland Italy Spain Germany France all from the UK and I like to get on the road late when traffic is gone and 4 kids are sleeping
The more I pull over the more 1hour toilet brakes I need as everybody wakes up and according to my phone and smart tracker my average sleep last year was 4h 30 a night it's just something I'm use to

I managed 30mpg out of our new E51 last week on the M6 for an 80 mile trip! Drafting anything bigger than me that was going between 65/70mph helped!

Great going if you managed 30mpg. 80 Miles at 30mpg would only use 2.67 gallons which is a pretty small sample size. The best way to confirm mpg is to brim the tank before the trip and brim the tank to exactly the same level after the trip... over 80 miles at 30mpg should then only be able to put that 2.67 gallons / 12.13 litres in costing around £14.56 on petrol or £7.28 on LPG. Mind you, even brimming the tank before and after a trip still has potential for error.... there might be an air bubble in the tank on the first/second fill that could account for a few litres worth of discrepancy on either or both fills. If mpg was only 20 the same 80 mile trip would cost £21.84 on petrol at £1.20 per litre or £10.92 on LPG at 60p per litre, or £10.13 at 55.7p per litre on LPG ;-) LPG has the higher octane of any fuel you can buy on any forecourt.. far higher octane than the most expensive super unleaded (which might cost well over £1.30 per litre).

A neighbour once bragged about getting 24mpg towing his small caravan with his diesel Freelander when I only got 10mpg towing my large caravan with my V12 5.4 litre BMW... until I explained my fuel cost only 40% of the price his fuel cost so it worked out that it cost less per mile for my setup thn it did him and I'd much prefer the V12 petrol to his 4 cylinder diesel ;-) Mpg bothers you less when fuel costs less, it costs as much for me to run my Elgrand on LPG than it might cost to run a medium sized diesel hatchback. I can tow my large 4 wheeled caravan with my Elgrand over any distance at the same speed at less cost than other Elgrands without towing a caravan.

Last edited:
Great going if you managed 30mpg. 80 Miles at 30mpg would only use 2.67 gallons which is a pretty small sample size. The best way to confirm mpg is to brim the tank before the trip and brim the tank to exactly the same level after the trip... over 80 miles at 30mpg should then only be able to put that 2.67 gallons / 12/12 litres in costing around £14.56 on petrol or £7 on LPG. Mind you, even brimming the tank before and a trip still has potential for error.... there might be an air bubble in the tank on the first/second fill that could account for a few litres worth of discrepancy on either or both fills. If mpg was only 20 the same 80 mile trip would cost £21.84 on petrol at £1.20 per litre or £10.92 on LPG at 60p per litre, or £10.13 at 55.7p per litre on LPG ;-) LPG has the higher octane of any fuel you can buy on any forecourt.. far higher octane than the most expensive super unleaded (which might cost well over £1.30 per litre).

A neighbour once bragged about getting 24mpg towing his small caravan with his diesel Freelander when I only got 10mpg towing my large caravan with my V12 5.4 litre BMW... until I explained my fuel cost only 40% of the price his fuel cost and it was less expensive for me to run my V12 than him to run his diesel ;-) Mpg bothers you less when fuel costs less, it costs as much for me to run my Elgrand on LPG than it might cost to run a medium sized diesel hatchback.
At the rate that fuel costs are coming down due to coronavirus, your going to have to re work those calculations tomorrow morning Simon. :joy: ;) Were planning a bit of a tour, timing is everything, catching fuel at its lowest but not getting trapped in a strange village when the government declare a travel ban. 🤔 PS. Were not leaving the van, self isolation, we've had a portapotti 365 fitted. Ummm, running on methane?

Fuel should cost less, coronavirus or not, vehicles are more a necessity for respective decent way of life than a luxury these days.... But I can't see how coronavirus could lead to a reduction in fuels costs though I can see how it might lead to an increase in fuel costs. In terms of fuel costs it's a win both ways with LPG because duty on LPG is lower than duty on petrol and logistics of getting both fuels to filling stations are the same. If petrol comes down in price LPG also comes down in price, always half price anyway.

Sadly for me LPG providers around here are all closing, therefore the sellers can ramp up the prices. The nearest seller to me is charging 74p or at least they were last weekend.

Last edited:
Well Im not doing great with my MPG around 15 round the houses as there is a problem with mine …………...…...its the guy behind the wheel it puts a big grin on his face when he floors it. Get April out the way Easter and SWMBO birthday big 60 and then I will have to let Simon work his LPG wizardry on it.

I recently returned from a long planned holiday to Scotland that we had to cut short early, we all know why......:poop:
Every available space was full and we were 2 adults, plus our furry baby.
The drive up to near Stirling from West Cornwall was 577 miles and I managed to sit at 70-75 mph on the vehicle speedo most of the way.
We stopped 3 times, once for fuel at Cheltenham. The display showed 9.2 Km/L average, 9.2 / 8 x 5 = 5.75 Miles / Litre x 4.546 = 26.14 MPG.
My speedo at that speed is 6.66666666% under reads according to the excellent free GPS Hud App, so that works out at a fairly accurate 27.88 MPG.
I got 8.8 Km/L on the return (25.03 + 6.66666% = 26.7 MPG) which is odd because surely it's downhill all the way from 'up country'.:grinning:

I got 8.8 Km/L on the return (25.03 + 6.66666% = 26.7 MPG) which is odd because surely it's downhill all the way from 'up country'.:grinning:
Overall the difference in start and end altitude isn't very much, while most of the time we have South Westerly wind in the UK.

Had a Range Rover 4.4 V8 that was an LPG conversion, couldn't have kept it on the road if it wasn't! Looking at converting the Elgrand, has anyone else done this?
Yes purchased mine 3.5 already fitted . Search LPG installers, there are quite a few , 35 litre tank or bigger (no spare )
cost to install £795-£1100, £21 to fill tank 😁

Yes purchased mine 3.5 already fitted . Search LPG installers, there are quite a few , 35 litre tank or bigger (no spare )
cost to install £795-£1100, £21 to fill tank 😁
Cost to install all around the 1700 to 1800 mark will be getting mine done by the resident lpg guru on here.

Back