• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

Well I never knew....... ;) Perhaps he should make it more obvious :D
Yes, I've been thinking I haven't mentioned my Elgrand LPG conversions or the benefits of running on LPG on forum quite enough recently... Maybe I should re-double my efforts to get the message across 🤔 :p During virus outbreak I might get around to counting the total number of Elgrands I've converted too... stopped counting at 220 lol.

My Elgrands consumption has gone right down recently, about three weeks per gallon. If petrol prices keep falling LPG will no longer be viable. :scream:
Forum only allows one emoticon like/wow/laugh/dislike/etc on others posts... or I'd have disliked, cried, wowed and angry faced at that lol! ;-)
(only to be taken in jest mate!)...

Too true at the moment though because no-one is running their cars so not using any fuel, and they understandably don't want to come near me lol..

Hope it bounces back to normal after this crisis so I can get stuck into some graft converting Elgrands and other vehicles to LPG again... but you never know.

Last edited:
Forum only allows one emoticon like/wow/laugh/dislike/etc on others posts... or I'd have disliked, cried, wowed and angry faced at that lol! ;-)
(only to be taken in jest mate!)...

Too true at the moment though because no-one is running their cars so not using any fuel, and they understandably don't want to come near me lol..

Hope it bounces back to normal after this crisis so I can get stuck into some graft converting Elgrands and other vehicles to LPG again... but you never know.
I don’t think you need to be worried about future customers Simon, you have a very good following which speaks volume.
I’m sure after this is all over you’ll be wishing another lockdown as you can’t keep up. 😁

Hi Stevie,

Same £1595.

If we know £1595 and 7000 miles per year, we just need to know average mpg to calculate payback time.

Suppose you get 20mpg, that's 350 gallons, if petrol is £1.20 per litre that's £1911 per year on petrol.

If LPG is half price (60p) that'd be £955.50 per year but you use a bit more (say 10%) LPG than you would petrol, then again it depends on the price you can buy LPG.. You can buy it at far less than 60p some places, but let's assume 60p and you use 10% more. So now you use £955.5+10% = £1052 of LPG in a year. Actually you'll use a small amount of petrol during the brief engine warmup period too, so call it £1100. So 1595/1100 = 1.45 years = 17.4 months.

Converted about 20 Elgrands so far this year, got another coming for conversion on Monday, another the Monday after, 2 coming the week after that! Got Elgrands booked in through October and November too but not fully booked up, could fit other Elgrand conversions in during that time.

Thanks,

Simon
Where r u based Simon

Realize the avg of fuel consumption 2nd day i'm using this car. And now i i'm happy i buy this car.

I've been revisiting this thread given my issues with the current car and reconsidering the Elgrand.
Eyes open to the fuel economy and I thought 20mpg was something I could live with as an average. But it seems closer to 17mpg..... Even with the cheaper petrol costs, it makes an 8mpg difference... Which in my use case becomes slightly more difficult to swallow.
On the other hand, even my good wife, whose head is properly screwed on, pointed out that vacation mileage is once or twice a year and even then it would only be £15 difference each way. And there would be more room/comfort. And no DPF.
I have much to reconsider, re-evaluate and decide....

I've been revisiting this thread given my issues with the current car and reconsidering the Elgrand.
Eyes open to the fuel economy and I thought 20mpg was something I could live with as an average. But it seems closer to 17mpg..... Even with the cheaper petrol costs, it makes an 8mpg difference... Which in my use case becomes slightly more difficult to swallow.
On the other hand, even my good wife, whose head is properly screwed on, pointed out that vacation mileage is once or twice a year and even then it would only be £15 difference each way. And there would be more room/comfort. And no DPF.
I have much to reconsider, re-evaluate and decide....
Smiles for miles are priceless
And I get average of 23mpg over 3 months just over 2000 miles

Where r u based Simon
South Elmsall, West Yorkshire, WF9 2DS
Between Pontefract, Doncaster, Wakefield and Barnsley.
2 Miles from the A1's 'Barnsdale Bar' junction.

Simon

Smiles for miles are priceless
And I get average of 23mpg over 3 months just over 2000 miles
It's the round the doors figures that others have mentioned in here that are giving my head some exercise. Cheaper road tax, but higher fuel consumption.
I doubt with my right foot, I'd see 23mpg. Currently getting a reported average of 24.5 on a surprisingly spritely 200bhp XC90 powered by Dr Diesels Evil Invention. And an electrical system/canbus that is so convoluted it's insane. Who in their right mind routes parking sensors via the stereo amp ( when the bleepers are clearly in the boot and not via speakers) and adds the alarm siren through there too?
Digressing.....sorry.

It's the round the doors figures that others have mentioned in here that are giving my head some exercise. Cheaper road tax, but higher fuel consumption.
I doubt with my right foot, I'd see 23mpg. Currently getting a reported average of 24.5 on a surprisingly spritely 200bhp XC90 powered by Dr Diesels Evil Invention. And an electrical system/canbus that is so convoluted it's insane. Who in their right mind routes parking sensors via the stereo amp ( when the bleepers are clearly in the boot and not via speakers) and adds the alarm siren through there too?
Digressing.....sorry.
Don't sweat it I use to have a 15 seater minibus down plated to 9 seats as I don't have a d1e card but the 2.5 turbo 200bhp bus struggled 30mpg normal driving could get 42mpg if I dint go over 60 mph the Elgrand is a lot firstyer but I'm on gas which for cost price about 70mpg for same money and is used as my daily and weekend warrior going from Preston to London and back at weekends fully loaded but wife and 4 kids are a lot happier in the Elgrand compared to my bus aka the gypsy's wagon

Don't sweat it I use to have a 15 seater minibus down plated to 9 seats as I don't have a d1e card but the 2.5 turbo 200bhp bus struggled 30mpg normal driving could get 42mpg if I dint go over 60 mph the Elgrand is a lot firstyer but I'm on gas which for cost price about 70mpg for same money and is used as my daily and weekend warrior going from Preston to London and back at weekends fully loaded but wife and 4 kids are a lot happier in the Elgrand compared to my bus aka the gypsy's wagon

It's not 70mpg equivalent....half that and it's something like.

Back