• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

I do about 9000 motorway miles in car and 1000 in and out of town is it fair to say at 60 I will still manage almost 500 miles and would the lpg range extender be a worth while investment or will it not realy out way the cost
Tia
Kenzie

I do about 9000 motorway miles in car and 1000 in and out of town is it fair to say at 60 I will still manage almost 500 miles and would the lpg range extender be a worth while investment or will it not realy out way the cost
Tia
Kenzie
Perhaps its just me, or maybe its the way the question has been phrased, are you saying that you drive at 60 miles miles an hour, and that the range extender would give you an extra 5% mileage for the same consumption? 🤔

Tia
Kenzie

The point of LPG is to reduce fuel costs, not to extend range. Fuel stations in the UK are pretty frequent, and certainly not 500 miles apart. Seeing as you should be taking at least one break on a journey that long, why not fill up at the same time?

The point of LPG is to reduce fuel costs, not to extend range. Fuel stations in the UK are pretty frequent, and certainly not 500 miles apart. Seeing as you should be taking at least one break on a journey that long, why not fill up at the same time?
I get your point about having to stop but having 4 young kids I normally get up at 9pm if we're going out out put them in the van and just start driving my current vehicle dose 750 miles at 60 and I normally keep going till I'm almost out buy job is long haul driving so I'm use to it

I get your point about having to stop but having 4 young kids I normally get up at 9pm if we're going out out put them in the van and just start driving my current vehicle dose 750 miles at 60 and I normally keep going till I'm almost out buy job is long haul driving so I'm use to it
You get 750 miles put of a tank of fuel in an Elgrand.
Have you cut the floor out so you can fred Flintstone your way around?

You get 750 miles put of a tank of fuel in an Elgrand.
Have you cut the floor out so you can fred Flintstone your way around?
Current van is a 2.5 td but weighs more and has 9 of us in it

Current van is a 2.5 td but weighs more and has 9 of us in it
A 2.5 turbo diesel e51.

So it's had an engine transplant.

No my 2.5td van was a ldv maxus 9 seater lwb hr with beds and TV in weights about 2.8ton empty and is mapped to 150bhp
So not an Elgrand at all 😐
Probably not the best forum to be looking for answers.......

My head hurts.

So not an Elgrand at all 😐
Probably not the best forum to be looking for answers.......
The question was for a Elgrand iv just got a v6 3.5 which I'm looking at having converted how ever when I expliand what milage I do on average (parking my crew cab up) it was in my diesel van that don't run on lpg and carnt run on lpg but you could get fumigation done I suppose which is similar and as Ian h pointed out I have a
Ldv maxus swb (working van)
Ldv maxus (minibus)
Kia stonic (wife town car)
Vauxhall zafira ( old get round town car) being sold
Nissan Elgrand

Tia
Kenzie
You'll probably get around 20mpg cruising at 60mph...
70litres (15.4 gallons) in the petrol tank should give range of 300 miles.
If the Elgrand is LPG converted and the LPG tank holds 77litres of LPG it will give another 300 miles range. So adding the range on petrol and range on LPG the total range would be 600 miles.

Some LPG installers only fit a tank that will hold 50odd or 60odd litres. LPG tanks I fit hold over 80 litres.

Most people want an LPG conversion to save money (because it only costs half as much to run on LPG as on petrol), so most people with LPG conversions try to avoid running on petrol. But I have fitted LPG conversions for people who's main reason for wanting to convert to LPG was to extend range.

For obvious reasons, nobody intentionally runs a petrol or diesel tank to completely empty. But it doesn't hurt to run an LPG tank to completely empty... If you run the LPG tank to empty the system will just automatically switch back to running on petrol without the driver having to stop the vehicle, no risk of muck/dirt etc from the bottom of the tank hurting anything and no need to re-prime, it's all done seamlessly.

Simon

Last edited:
You seem to have a great deal of difficulty imagining someone has more than one van and is comparing the two...
My difficulty is more concerning the fact the thread about Elgrand fuel economy....not ldv fuel economy......and there was no mention of an Elgrand when asking about the lpg and discussing the 750mile tank.

My difficulty is more concerning the fact the thread about Elgrand fuel economy....not ldv fuel economy......and there was no mention of an Elgrand when asking about the lpg and discussing the 750mile tank.
I think your lost budy I was asking for it for a Elgrand but using it to compare between my other vehicles as I often do 3000 miles journeys on holiday if it will only do 300 miles to a tank I'd need to fill 6 times compared to my normal daily as I thought you could get 500 miles out of the v6 on a long run so thanks to all of the other imputs I know no after 20 tanks it will of paid for it self which I can probably do in under 6 months

My original query was could it be used as range exterder as it would be a in convince having to pull over that way kids stay asleep

I think your lost budy I was asking for it for a Elgrand but using it to compare between my other vehicles as I often do 3000 miles journeys on holiday if it will only do 300 miles to a tank I'd need to fill 6 times compared to my normal daily as I thought you could get 500 miles out of the v6 on a long run so thanks to all of the other imputs I know no after 20 tanks it will of paid for it self which I can probably do in under 6 months

My original query was could it be used as range exterder as it would be a in convince having to pull over that way kids stay asleep
I never saw Elgrand mentioned...that's why I got lost 😂

If you have LPG, you also still have petrol so you then have a full tank of LPG and when that runs out switch over to petrol which will give you the range of two tankfulls if you don't want to stop.

Running for more than one tankful without stopping is irresponsible and dangerous. There is a reason why professional drivers of large vehicles are legally required to take a break, whether they want to stop or not.

Al depends on
EU
domestic
Aetr

And dependant on what country you in as some places you can drive for 8 hours and then only have a 30 minite brake

You must get on some good trips to be considering the tank range :).
Or drive at lightning speeds and cover twice the distance in the time as everyone else :joy:.
I'd need to stop for a wee before my tank was empty :eek:.

Back