• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

About to receive my first ever 2.5 E51. A bit worried about fuel economy.
Don't buy an Elgrand if you're worried about fuel economy, or have aspirations of penny pinching because of it.
Being worried about fuel economy before buying an Elgrand is like being worried about lung cancer when about to start smoking 🚬

The fuel economy is bad. The experience driving the thing makes it worthwhile.

My 3.5 Elgrand drives the same as everyone else's 3.5 Elgrand but my fuel costs 86p per litre and has 700 miles range on a single fill of that fuel.

LPG. Available at some petrol station forecourts. Available at some places that don't sell petrol or diesel. And available for home delivery in red bottles so you can refuel at home.

Think positive - you are about to learn, very quickly, which places you don’t really need to be driving to (or visiting at all) 😉
Exactly, when you start to associate 'day out' with 'full tank of petrol' and 'full tank of petrol' with '£100' you decide 'day out' could be 'nice local walk'....!!

Exactly, when you start to associate 'day out' with 'full tank of petrol' and 'full tank of petrol' with '£100' you decide 'day out' could be 'nice local walk'....!!
I decided a long time ago that it's better to pay £60 than £100 for fuel that will go the same distance in the same petrol engine'd vehicle / Elgrand.

I decided a long time ago that it's better to pay £60 than £100 for fuel that will go the same distance in the same petrol engine'd vehicle / Elgrand.
I cheat though, as my EV does 200 miles on about £10 aa long as i charge it at home. However when it goes back in August I am probably going to replace it with my first ever diesel.

LPG would be a great option, but not for my Elgrand. It isn't reliable enough to be used every day, and I wouldnt trust it woth that much investment!

My average over the time I've owned it is around 17mpg but most of my previous cars weren't much different so I just got used to it and my annual mileage is now pretty low so I don't really worry about it.

I have to say though, the thought of having a new battery car for 100€ per month, as is being offered by the French government, is a tempting proposition but not sure if I would qualify as a refugee.

I cheat though, as my EV does 200 miles on about £10 aa long as i charge it at home. However when it goes back in August I am probably going to replace it with my first ever diesel.

LPG would be a great option, but not for my Elgrand. It isn't reliable enough to be used every day, and I wouldnt trust it woth that much investment!
I forget what problems you've had with your Elgrand but you certainly seem to have had far more than your fair share or the average.

I cheat depreciation by having a car that's worth as much today as when I bought it 4 years ago and has been totally reliable and I cheat day to day costs by running it on LPG instead of petrol.

thats a shame !!!!!! i use mine everyday and never an issue (so far) o_O

My 3.5 Elgrand drives the same as everyone else's 3.5 Elgrand but my fuel costs 86p per litre and has 700 miles range on a single fill of that fuel.

LPG. Available at some petrol station forecourts. Available at some places that don't sell petrol or diesel. And available for home delivery in red bottles so you can refuel at home.
Hi, this has caught my eye - is it possible to simply swap out the empty bottle for a full one in an LPG conversion? I thought they would be too tucked away to do this, but haven't actually seen one. Nearest LPG filling place is next town over for me, but if I could have a 'refill' delivered in advance this could be a great option.

It's not, as in that way I don't get to give oil companies more of my money.

You are a bit further south than we are Andre so you could run an electric car for next to nothing if you had solar panels.
That makes the Government's offer very tempting.

You are a bit further south than we are Andre so you could run an electric car for next to nothing if you had solar panels.
That makes the Government's offer very tempting.
You have to have a lot of solar panels and decent sun all year to make it worthwhile, and in general it unfortunately doesnt work quite that way. A domestic car charger pumps out 7kwh whether you have solar or not , and when i did the sums the 10.5kwh peak solar setup I could get would actually on average provide about 5kwh over the year. I did the sums and it was actually cheaper to charge my car overnight on cheap rate (7kwh x 7.5p per kwh = 52.5 p per hour) than top up the charger with an additional 2kwh at peak rate (at the time 2 x 30p per kwh = 60p per hour). It worked out pumping solar directly into the car cost more money more time than not!!

I've toyed with the idea of an electric car but don't have one yet.
Octopus Energy have a deal where you can charge up overnight at a low rate (5p per kwh last time I looked).
If you have battery storage for use for the house, you can top your batteries up at that price as well so that you don't need to buy much from the grid for most of the year. You can also take advantage of times when , believe it or not, they pay you for using electricity from the grid. It's been either free or less for most of today up to 4pm so, today, I haven't paid for any electicity that I've used and I have 9.6 kwh in the batteries to last me until tomorrow when the sun (hopefully) shines again. I have an app that lets me control when/if I charge my batteries from the grid and I have an app that tells me the cost of electricy half-hourly from Octopus for the next 24 hours.

I have a roof that faces east/west and have two arrays of eight panels and 9.6kwh of battery storage.
I pay £50 a month for my energy and am currently £1,500 in credit - and the summer days are just starting. 🤞
So, even with without the cheap rate for car charging, the panels/batteries will have paid for themselves by the end of this summer. They were installed in May 2019.
I only had 2.4kwh of battery storage for the first couple of years but I got offered a good deal for three more so grabbed it.

Hi, this has caught my eye - is it possible to simply swap out the empty bottle for a full one in an LPG conversion? I thought they would be too tucked away to do this, but haven't actually seen one. Nearest LPG filling place is next town over for me, but if I could have a 'refill' delivered in advance this could be a great option.

It is possible to set up an LPG converted vehicle to have swap out tanks / bottle. I can do that myself on my own Elgrand and I've set up a few other Elgrands to be able to do the same for customers. But the pump setups I make and sell would probably better suit you... https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/...hen-pump-it-into-your-Elgrand-lpg-tank.35949/

I've toyed with the idea of an electric car but don't have one yet.
Octopus Energy have a deal where you can charge up overnight at a low rate (5p per kwh last time I looked).
If you have battery storage for use for the house, you can top your batteries up at that price as well so that you don't need to buy much from the grid for most of the year. You can also take advantage of times when , believe it or not, they pay you for using electricity from the grid. It's been either free or less for most of today up to 4pm so, today, I haven't paid for any electicity that I've used and I have 9.6 kwh in the batteries to last me until tomorrow when the sun (hopefully) shines again. I have an app that lets me control when/if I charge my batteries from the grid and I have an app that tells me the cost of electricy half-hourly from Octopus for the next 24 hours.

I have a roof that faces east/west and have two arrays of eight panels and 9.6kwh of battery storage.
I pay £50 a month for my energy and am currently £1,500 in credit - and the summer days are just starting. 🤞
So, even with without the cheap rate for car charging, the panels/batteries will have paid for themselves by the end of this summer. They were installed in May 2019.
I only had 2.4kwh of battery storage for the first couple of years but I got offered a good deal for three more so grabbed it.

The current octopus go EV tariff is 7.5p per kwh off peak

Screenshot_20240407_225241_Octopus.jpg

Reactions: Bal
It is possible to set up an LPG converted vehicle to have swap out tanks / bottle. I can do that myself on my own Elgrand and I've set up a few other Elgrands to be able to do the same for customers. But the pump setups I make and sell would probably better suit you... https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/...hen-pump-it-into-your-Elgrand-lpg-tank.35949/
I see! Yes, that is certainly a useful tool, I appreciate the heads up as I think it would indeed suit me, many thanks 😎

Thanks Tim. That's made me have another look at getting an EV.
I'm looking at a Hyundai Kona Advance with a 65kwh battery.
Charge it with 60kwh @7.5 per kwh = around £5 and that's enough to take me at least 220 miles. (319m on a full charge according to the bumf)
If I charge my house battery with 8kwh as well that would cost about 60p
Even in the depths of winter I only use about 16kwh a day in the house.
Because I'm disabled, I can get an EV on the Motability scheme which would cost me £76 a week including all servicing, Tax, Insurance, tyres and RAC cover. All I have to do is fuel it up.
I'm currently driving less than 10k a year so around 200 miles a week.
It's looking tempting so I'm going to go to the local Hyundai dealership for a nosey round.
One of the big issues for me is headroom - which is one reason I like the Ellie, so I'll have a sit in whatever cars they have to see if they would be OK.

Back