• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

Which costs around the same as 36-40mpg on diesel...
So many people say the 52 will do 30mpg on a run I just cannae see it. Maybe as the only time I drive it it's full up with prams and weans

Yep and much better to drive
Altho our lpg is creeping up in price
It definitely seems to be creeping up and a lot of the fuel stations around here seem to be Morrisons who appear to be on a crusade to sell off/revamp and abandon LPG so one day it'll get more inconvenient to find.

It does concern me a little that currently the savings aren't as much as they used to be and therefore payback is a good few more miles. Seems that £1 a litre is the average rate of you don't have space to have 47kg bottles delivered, so the equivalent mpg is probably nearer 30mpg now.

The added range is something to think about though!

Done a 80 mile run and average 8.6kml on trip so about 20mpg lpg wise. Would hope for better but just can't seem to get the high numbers that many claim.however still decent considering

Done a 80 mile run and average 8.6kml on trip so about 20mpg lpg wise. Would hope for better but just can't seem to get the high numbers that many claim.however still decent considering
I was over 25mpg on the way back when I picked it up had petrol to spare.

Currently running it to empty to see what driving round the doors returns, I can tell it's no where near 25mpg 😂

Reactions: Bal
Haha nice
I put a fuel tank of fuel for emergency too so probably pretty heavy

Reactions: Bal
Just hit 330km and still going at the moment that's the most I've ever done I reckon it will be empty in the next few kms
55l tank so probably.minus 20% so 44l I reckon possibly 340 -350 km theyvway it's going so about 22mpg. A mixture of country smooth road and motorway

Just hit 330km and still going at the moment that's the most I've ever done I reckon it will be empty in the next few kms
55l tank so probably.minus 20% so 44l I reckon possibly 340 -350 km theyvway it's going so about 22mpg. A mixture of country smooth road and motorway
I've got 340km not particularly trying have 1/4 tank left ? This is mixed driving round the doors, that includes a few regular stretches of dual carriageway where It may get to legal limits briskly

I've got 340km not particularly trying have 1/4 tank left ? This is mixed driving round the doors, that includes a few regular stretches of dual carriageway where It may get to legal limits briskly
But your tank is bigger no?

Yeh must be mine only takes 45 quid to fill
How many litres do you get in your E52's LPG tank Johnny?

One of the E52's I converted to LPG was being converted to a campervan and the owner had already removed some rear trim and rear heater ducting. I was able to fit a 140 litre tank on that one.

But I found that most E52's would only take a 75L cylinder tank, which I modified to fill to 90% of that (rated) capacity instead of the usual 80%, so most E52's I converted to LPG will 'take' around 68 litres of LPG.. Other firms all used to fit a much smaller capacity tank, until one of my suppliers told them about the design I came up with for E52s which allows the 75L tank to be fitted. The cheaky gits at firms such as NorthEast Autogas that one of the importers advises their customers to use ripped off my idea after having it explained to them by a supplier I mentioned it to, they even wrote on their website "Now we fit bigger tanks on E52s!'. The thought never occurred to them to fit a cylinder tank with a top mount valve, probably because they had never heard of a top mount valve before the supplier told them how I did it. Heh I used to sell DIY kits to that firm for simple to convert P38 RangeRovers a few years ago, still they needed my tech support. The same firm (according to the importer) set mixture too rich on 50 Elgrands they converted to LPG which led to cat failure on 12 of them, still the importer advises the same firm for LPG conversions of Elgrands. A good importer and dealer in many and most respects but knows litte about LPG conversions and is not in a great position (and evidently not) to advise customers that buy Elgrands from them about LPG conversions. Other importers advise customers to come to me for LPG conversion, and I don't pay them any commision... Even if a another firm robs my idea and picks my brains on how to fit a bigger tank the tank they fit still won't 'take' as much gas as when I fit it, because they still don't mod the valve or purge air out of tanks.

Last edited:
How many litres do you get in your E52's LPG tank Johnny?

One of the E52's I converted to LPG was being converted to a campervan and the owner had already removed some rear trim and rear heater ducting. I was able to fit a 140 litre tank on that one.

But I found that most E52's would only take a 75L cylinder tank, which I modified to fill to 90% of that (rated) capacity instead of the usual 80%, so most E52's I converted to LPG will 'take' around 68 litres of LPG.. Other firms all used to fit a much smaller capacity tank, until one of my suppliers told them about the design I came up with for E52s which allows the 75L tank to be fitted. The cheaky gits at firms such as NorthEast Autogas that one of the importers advises their customers to use ripped off my idea after having it explained to them by a supplier I mentioned it to, they even wrote on their website "Now we fit bigger tanks on E52s!'. The thought never occurred to them to fit a cylinder tank with a top mount valve, probably because they had never heard of a top mount valve before the supplier told them how I did it. Heh I used to sell DIY kits to that firm for simple to convert P38 RangeRovers a few years ago, still they needed my tech support. The same firm (according to the importer) set mixture too rich on 50 Elgrands they converted to LPG which led to cat failure on 12 of them, still the importer advises the same firm for LPG conversions of Elgrands. A good importer and dealer in many and most respects but knows litte about LPG conversions and is not in a great position (and evidently not) to advise customers that buy Elgrands from them about LPG conversions. Other importers advise customers to come to me for LPG conversion, and I don't pay them any commision... Even if a another firm robs my idea and picks my brains on how to fit a bigger tank the tank they fit still won't 'take' as much gas as when I fit it, because they still don't mod the valve or purge air out of tanks.
The tank stamp says 55l it's a cylinder but usually manage to get 40l max refills more often about 36 and the valve is facing up when you look down in the excuse of a boot chamber.
I'd love a bigger tank as I average 180 miles before pickup and it sucks having the fill up every time I go out as I usually only use it for the weekends away etc and my leccy work car as the daily.

Managed to fill 46l today so that's above the 20% level so unsure what actual capacity is. This is the highest I've managed to fill.
Also reset trip on motorway and managed to average 11.5 (trip) for 20 miles so I guess proper motorway driving it can be efficient

About to receive my first ever 2.5 E51. A bit worried about fuel economy.

Back