• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Wales Elgrandfest 2022 Wales

Not one of my conversions...

Very sorry to hear about this though.

A few points...

Why did you have the tank fitted inside on an Elgrand anyway? The external spare wheel position is the obvious best position for an LPG tank on an E51 Elgrand.

If the installer fitted the tank internally they should have fitted 'external venting'. External venting means that all the connecting pipes to the tank that run internally, and the valve on the tank itself, are all covered with a 'gas tight housing' (so a housing around the valve/s on the tank and overpipes around all the gas pipes) which only has an opening to outside the vehicle... so that in case of a gas leak no gas enters the vehicle anyway... instead of gas entering the vehicle any gas from any leak on any pipe or from the valve (even if the pressure relief valve opens) all goes outside instead of any gas entering the vehicle. Even fillers that are fitted on (say) vehicle wings (where the inside of the wing is inside the vehicle) should be externally vented... so behind the filler there should be a rubber boot and from the rubber boot a wide over-pipe runs to a bulkhead fitting through the floor, the gas pipe connecting to the filler all runs inside the over-pipe and the rubber boot.

Even if external venting wasn't fitted (and I have run my own vehicles with 'unusual' LPG tanks that didn't feature/allow external venting with no concerns), LPG is none toxic... You can breathe LPG and it won't hurt you. The only thing about breathing LPG that can hurt you is that the presence of LPG means less presence of air, so you can be asphyxiated by LPG but you strictly speaking you can't be poisoned by it. The 'stinking agent' in LPG is toxic but only in very high quantities (like drinking it neat - not that you would lol), the 'after smell' that might linger on something (or in a vehicle) after an LPG leak might not smell very nice but it will be in such small concentrations that it won't be toxic. Why was the car written off? I doubt much truth in 'bio contamination'. Put it this way, I would gladly buy your car, wait until the smell subsided then run it as my daily driver.... But probably fit a different LPG tank on it ;-) And then (come to think of it) probably fettle the LPG system components in the engine bay too.

If I was there when this happened I'd have been able to save your car and the forecourt wouldn't have been closed.

Most camping gas bottles feature an over pressure relief valve and are carried inside vehicles... they don't have external venting but they are considered safe. An autogas tank that isn't fitted with external venting (as really it should be) is just as safe as carrying a camping gas bottle... but autogas tanks are usually safer than camping gas bottles and not just because of the external venting.

The OP didn’t have the tanks fitted, he bought the vehicle with the tanks already installed

He mentioned this in his second post about the incident… https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/elgrandfest-2022-wales.29337/post-451595

’’Hope this is not putting anyone of LPG, just please make sure you use good installers and reliable LPG system which unfortunately I didn't get chance to choose. My STAG two tank system setup was, as mentioned by many, very unusual set up, chosen by the previous owners and installed by NOBODY FROM HERE!!!’’

Last edited:
Is there a shop near by for a house bulb and conditioner as I'm a hour in and not spinning round lol

Edit got conditioner now just a bulb

Is there a shop near by for a house bulb and conditioner as I'm a hour in and not spinning round lol

Edit got conditioner now just a bulb
There’s a coop but might be closed by the time you get there… I’d suggest going to Asda in Merthyr before If you’re desperate or can get it in town maybe tomorrow

Van is loaded and ready. Only an hour down the road so will be leaving at about 12.30ish to be with you for 1.30 tomorrow afternoon.
Random question, is any1 else a eurovision fan?
Hoping to get a stream for it Saturday night

Van is loaded and ready. Only an hour down the road so will be leaving at about 12.30ish to be with you for 1.30 tomorrow afternoon.
Random question, is any1 else a eurovision fan?
Hoping to get a stream for it Saturday night
I will prob arriving at same time tomorrow.

unless I am completely smashed no Eurovision for me.

we will prob be to busy blowing stuff up in the camp fire. I mean testing the combustion of various foods.

Also how is everyone fixed for food? Are we dining together in the evening for doing your own thing?

Down to peoples own choice.

pub is down the road

I am going fully prepared but I have other half and boy (4) with me this time.

Attachments

• 7B27E66F-6351-464A-A8BD-542FA6624542.jpeg
    7B27E66F-6351-464A-A8BD-542FA6624542.jpeg
    464.4 KB · Views: 7
Gonna go shopping in the morning. As long as I got beer I'm happy. Not sure the wife will see it thar way though....

Gonna go shopping in the morning. As long as I got beer I'm happy. Not sure the wife will see it thar way though....
Fixing our own food but we have drinks and muffins/ crisps for everyone haha

Hoping to arrive on site about 4pm, maybe a bit earlier if I can get away. Really looking forward to meeting Elgrand family members, a few for the second time, most for the first time 🤘😊

@Lisa-Marie , you promised me sunshine this weekend. Both the BBC and my weather app are less optimistic, please can you sort it out 🌞🌞🌞🍻😄

Just out of curiosity and and interest, any pitches left for the fest? Plans changed suddenly and I may be able to join for a night or two. Ty

Back