• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Wales Elgrandfest 2022 Wales

Hi Guys and Gals.
I have a sad news to share ๐Ÿ˜ข
As of today we forever lost our beloved Elgrand.
Last night while refueling the LPG to get ready for the Walesh Elgrandfest meet, the lpg system (STAG) developed catastrophic gas leak which cause a total mayhem. Police, Fire brigade, closure of the petrol station for 15hrs .... You name it!!! According to the fire brigade, the pressure valve on my interior tank popped open then froze solid leading to 12hr gas leak of 100L LPG into the interior irreversibly contaminating the seats, carpets, head lining, door carts, the lot.
The insurance company immediately wrote the van off, condemning it unsafe, bio contaminated and dangerous. This means the van was recovered but taken to a Copart as a total write off without any options of me buying able to buy it off.
As mentioned to Lisa, unless we are able to join you with our estate, I don't think we will be come. ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ

Last photos of our Elgrand before leaving us forever
Mate thats crazy! So glad you're all safe!!!
As said above, please still come along no matter the car you're in, if you feel up to it.

Hi Guys and Gals.
Last night while refueling the LPG to get ready for the Walesh Elgrandfest meet, the lpg system (STAG) developed catastrophic gas leak which cause a total mayhem. Police, Fire brigade, closure of the petrol station for 15hrs .... You name it!!! According to the fire brigade, the pressure valve on my interior tank popped open then froze solid leading to 12hr gas leak of 100L LPG into the interior irreversibly contaminating the seats, carpets, head lining, door carts, the lot.
The insurance company immediately wrote the van off, condemning it unsafe, bio contaminated and dangerous. This means the van was recovered but taken to a Copart as a total write off without any options of me buying able to buy it off.
As mentioned to Lisa, unless we are able to join you with our estate, I don't think we will be come. ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ

That's horrendous. At least your safe and well. Vans can replaced. I hope you can still make the trip

Out of curiosity, where did you have the lpg installed?

Itโ€™s packing day!!!!๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Canโ€™t wait to see everyone :)

weather isnโ€™t so great here today but apparently on the weather app todays the only day of rain an itโ€™s in the 20s this weekend so bring youโ€™re sun cream ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Thank you folks for such nice messages ๐Ÿค—. Luckily I was on my own when this happened as non of the boys fancied the evening trip to the garage ๐Ÿ™๐ŸŒŸ
I was told that if I used the el. Sliding door or had my interior lights switched on when I entered the van which was now totally filled with a cloud of gas, I probably wouldn't be here.
Hope this is not putting anyone of LPG, just please make sure you use good installers and reliable LPG system which unfortunately I didn't get chance to choose. My STAG two tank system setup was, as mentioned by many, very unusual set up, chosen by the previous owners and installed by NOBODY FROM HERE!!! It was just very unfortunate that the interior tank failed. If I had one tank, fitted to the underbody as seems as a more standard and the safest method, I would still have the my van today. S..t happens!

On more cheerful note, the van is gone ๐Ÿ˜ญ but we are still here, safe and sound ๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ‘ฆโ€๐Ÿ‘ฆ๐Ÿ˜˜ ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿค— thank goodness to that!

Thinking quickly before the van was taken away, I managed to take of some of the rare and hard to get parts such as the Thule 973-18 bike ruck, I even taken out the extended 900n struds so unless I get another Elgrand, these will be for sale. I even tried to take off the alloys but for some strange reason they wouldn't let me ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜‚
Also, I will probably have, not yet delivered brand new, 4 bed roof top tent with awning for sale which was meant to go on the van and which would probably be too big for my estate.
Thinking about joining you guys this weekend, we have not much camping hear left as everything that was loaded it the van ready for the trip had to stay in due to contamination, so maybe just a day trip to say hi ๐Ÿ‘‹will have to do.
Again, thank you guys for your compassion and warm messages.
Hope to see you soon.
Mate so sorry to hear this, so thankful you are ok, hopefully you get to replace your ellie and even more so really hope to catch up with you in the future, awesome bloke ๐Ÿ‘

Sorry, we won't be arriving tomorrow, will most likely be Friday afternoon, life has managed to get in the way.

If anyone wants to take advantage of our electric hookup for the night, feel free...

Sorry, we won't be arriving tomorrow, will most likely be Friday afternoon, life has managed to get in the way.

If anyone wants to take advantage of our electric hookup for the night, feel free...
No worries will see you Friday :)

E1F5E0E1-A5C0-4B68-8E0E-35330963182A.jpeg
Spot the husband ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Got all the goods for everyone to have from the club ๐Ÿ˜

now itโ€™s time to get our neighbour to take some in his Elgrand otherwise we wonโ€™t fit our camping stuff ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

View attachment 73965

now itโ€™s time to get our neighbour to take some in his Elgrand otherwise we wonโ€™t fit our camping stuff ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Thanks for picking MY food up, very much appreciated ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Il be setting of 5am Fri morning should br there for 10 or 11 set up the big communal tent by that time should be able to get on pitch however no packing had been done yet die to new job away from home staying in hotels so hopefully finish early in the morning

View attachment 73965

Expect that will all be gone by Friday ๐Ÿ˜‚

View attachment 73965

You guys are so kind. Thanks so much. Please leave me a bottle of beer for Friday afternoon

Expect that will all be gone by Friday ๐Ÿ˜‚
You guys are so kind. Thanks so much. Please leave me a bottle of beer for Friday afternoon
Hahaha Iโ€™ll ration everyone ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

nah there will definitely be loads still on Friday & Saturday for people arriving :)

Hi Guys and Gals.

Not one of my conversions...

Very sorry to hear about this though.

A few points...

Why did you have the tank fitted inside on an Elgrand anyway? The external spare wheel position is the obvious best position for an LPG tank on an E51 Elgrand.

If the installer fitted the tank internally they should have fitted 'external venting'. External venting means that all the connecting pipes to the tank that run internally, and the valve on the tank itself, are all covered with a 'gas tight housing' (so a housing around the valve/s on the tank and overpipes around all the gas pipes) which only has an opening to outside the vehicle... so that in case of a gas leak no gas enters the vehicle anyway... instead of gas entering the vehicle any gas from any leak on any pipe or from the valve (even if the pressure relief valve opens) all goes outside instead of any gas entering the vehicle. Even fillers that are fitted on (say) vehicle wings (where the inside of the wing is inside the vehicle) should be externally vented... so behind the filler there should be a rubber boot and from the rubber boot a wide over-pipe runs to a bulkhead fitting through the floor, the gas pipe connecting to the filler all runs inside the over-pipe and the rubber boot.

Even if external venting wasn't fitted (and I have run my own vehicles with 'unusual' LPG tanks that didn't feature/allow external venting with no concerns), LPG is none toxic... You can breathe LPG and it won't hurt you. The only thing about breathing LPG that can hurt you is that the presence of LPG means less presence of air, so you can be asphyxiated by LPG but you strictly speaking you can't be poisoned by it. The 'stinking agent' in LPG is toxic but only in very high quantities (like drinking it neat - not that you would lol), the 'after smell' that might linger on something (or in a vehicle) after an LPG leak might not smell very nice but it will be in such small concentrations that it won't be toxic. Why was the car written off? I doubt much truth in 'bio contamination'. Put it this way, I would gladly buy your car, wait until the smell subsided then run it as my daily driver.... But probably fit a different LPG tank on it ;-) And then (come to think of it) probably fettle the LPG system components in the engine bay too.

If I was there when this happened I'd have been able to save your car and the forecourt wouldn't have been closed.

Most camping gas bottles feature an over pressure relief valve and are carried inside vehicles... they don't have external venting but they are considered safe. An autogas tank that isn't fitted with external venting (as really it should be) is just as safe as carrying a camping gas bottle... but autogas tanks are usually safer than camping gas bottles and not just because of the external venting.

Last edited:
Back