• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Confused over E51 vs E52

Don't you mean 52? That's what I've bought.

The motorbike option could be fitted to most vans, including any Elgrand.
Ace, enjoy the biking further afield.

Thought you’d bought a 51. 👍👍👍

I'm in my 6th year of 51 ownership and will probably go for a 52 this year, with the kids grown my needs are now more car like than van like.

The E52 rear loading bay if you can call it that starts higher up, Im sure it can be done (nothings impossible) but its quite a steep angle.
The E52 has that false boot bit doesnt it, which decreases the load space.

I think a photo of a stripped rear E52 would help, but I just find it hard to get pass the rear entry bay area

The E52 rear loading bay if you can call it that starts higher up, Im sure it can be done (nothings impossible) but its quite a steep angle.
The E52 has that false boot bit doesnt it, which decreases the load space.

I think a photo of a stripped rear E52 would help, but I just find it hard to get pass the rear entry bay area
See your point mate but that loading ‘bay’ or ‘false base’ is perfect for an MPPT controller, B2B controller, a distribution board and a humongous Lithium ion Phosphate leisure battery that won’t take up space in the cupboards.

Roof height is an issue in every Elgrand and only a pop top can sort this which is available on every vehicle of this type. I’ve already got a cost for doing mine.

Pros and cons with everything buddy. 👍👍👍

Look on the earlier posts on this very thread, there is great pics of a 52 conversion. Look below. 🤣👍

I’ve seen conversations with vehicles way smaller than a 52. VW Caddy and they are tiny in comparison!

Have a great weekend, I’ll be watching the 6 nations. 👍👍👍

BBDFB82C-BDD5-4DC1-A6AC-446A32423CBB.jpeg

Last edited:
I appreciate that the false floor helps, but I personally - feel the e51 has more head room and I guess that nobody really wants to slouch around.
But none the less, two different vehicles. Only connected by the brand and the engine. We could be comparing S max to E51 for example!

See your point mate but that loading ‘bay’ or ‘false base’ is perfect for an MPPT controller, B2B controller, a distribution board and a humongous Lithium ion Phosphate leisure battery that won’t take up space in the cupboards.

Roof height is an issue in every Elgrand and only a pop top can sort this which is available on every vehicle of this type. I’ve already got a cost for doing mine.

Pros and cons with everything buddy. 👍👍👍

Look on the earlier posts on this very thread, there is great pics of a 52 conversion. Look below. 🤣👍

I’ve seen conversations with vehicles way smaller than a 52. VW Caddy and they are tiny in comparison!

Have a great weekend, I’ll be watching the 6 nations. 👍👍👍

View attachment 84773
Mind if I ask is that an owner built camper conversion or are there UK businesses who can supply and fit .. new member asking

Do you think they'll go back to the van style with an E53 version or stick with the large car style?

Reactions: Bal
It's all about efficiency and aero dynamics etc things beyond my knowledge but this leads me personally to feel there will be no box vans.

Look at the alternatives and see the way they are taking this sector.

stepwagon from what I remember still looked pretty spacious.

PS everything going electric probably will have some impact on design.

Off topic, on topic. Have you seen the new VW transporters? They look like japvans. Gone is the big boxy shape.

Do you think they'll go back to the van style with an E53 version or stick with the large car style?
I've never understood why the 50 and 51 are van style and the 52 is car style. Or why people prefer van style. Can anyone explain it to me? They all have sloping bonnets and windscreens. Doesn't that make them all car style?

Safety / collision saftey are some I can think off. The industry has ever changing regulations and targets to meet. Plenty of other vehicles out there if the mpv style doesn't suit. Serena is a pretty decent alternative if you don't need the 3.5 performance.

Or why people prefer van style. Can anyone explain it to me?
Higher driving position, easier to get in/out and more headroom in the back.

For second hand buyers, converting a van to a camper/daycamper gives much more space than a car-style vehicle like the E52, so the E52 isn't considered by many.

Back