• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Can I convert the screens to English?

is there nothing in uk to change from japanees to english on elgrad
Not a lot.
My solution was to plug a mirracast dongle into the elgrands rca sockets so at least I could mirror my phone screen and music etc through the factory screens. It's not perfect but better than nothing.
I bought translation stickers off ebay for the buttons in the dash and on the remote controls.
I used Google translate app to try and help me with the onscreen Japanese instructions but as the resolution isn't amazing don't hold your breath.

..just seen this, but better late than never, eh?
I fitted an English conversion last autumn, supplied by Xanavi (based in St. Petersburg !).
Yes, I had reservations about it. but they were really good, and responded to my questions promptly every time.
The kit duly arrived (several emails to establish exactly which model I have), about 2 weeks wait for delivery.
Fitting wasn't too bad, a bit tricky squeezing the extra wiring in behind the unit, but patience won in the end.
Cost was about £820, and sat nav, radio, menus etc all work fine. It even shows the time on the screen. yey.
Worth giving them a try if you're thinking about a conversion !

Is there any update on conversion from Japanese to English systems

Is there any update on conversion from Japanese to English systems
I just got in contact with https://www.caraudioworkshop.co.nz/
They gave me a link to download onto a disc, I loaded the disc and now all the writting on the screen is in english, can change the time too. If you want proper all english system and sat nav then you can get in touch with xanavi guys. Good luck!

Great info guys, good read.

This is reassuring given I'm in the researching stage and this was on my mind. Now found the solution within 12hrs. 👍

Are there any advantages to doing what teamcowie did vs the nz fix?

Interestingstuff.....from reading the thread, there seems to be 4 main ways...

1)miracast from phone
2) xanvis estonian method
3) the kiwi fix
4) teamcowies special sauce diy hackabout.
5) android in carplay

What I'm not clear on is which methods alleviate which issues. I'd hate to buy an Elgrand (looking at e51 3rd gen) and not have most of the toys work.

I'd want the cameras to work. I'm not so fussed about the dvd player as kids have tablets. Need English menus. Happy to cast / stream audio from phone

Are there any killer features I have missed?

Last edited:
is there nothing in uk to change from japanees to english on elgrad
Think there is software for E52 try Matt at just Japanese I think it's the same Aussie software. £150 springs to mind.

Interestingstuff.....from reading the thread, there seems to be 4 main ways...

1)miracast from phone
2) xanvis estonian method
3) the kiwi fix
4) teamcowies special sauce diy hackabout.
5) android in carplay

What I'm not clear on is which methods alleviate which issues. I'd hate to buy an Elgrand (looking at e51 3rd gen) and not have most of the toys work.

I'd want the cameras to work. I'm not so fussed about the dvd player as kids have tablets. Need English menus. Happy to cast / stream audio from phone

Are there any killer features I have missed?
Xanvis.... :sob::sob::joy::joy:

Simple answer is no. The standard Elgrand In Car Entertainment hardware is designed for use in Japan only. The Sat Nav is for Japan only, the menu's are all in Japanese, and no, there is no way to convert them to English.

I believe the later S3 E51's and the E52's have a solution available, but I'm not too clued up on it.

You can either learn to live with Radio 2, no sat nav, and managing with the standard set up, or you can apply some of the work arounds/solutions to resolve this.

The simplest method, but only available to those with the AV pack (meaning you have Audio/Video inputs on the drivers side in the rear door card) is to get an external DVD player that you can set to output in NTSC (UK is PAL) format, and then whatever you play will come through the screens.

For those who don't have the AV pack, or want something a little more permanent, you will need to look into replacing the standard head unit.

There are guides in the "how To" section that will talk you through replacing both E50 and E51 hardware for UK spec (or local spec whatever country you're in) including wiring requirements, things you'll need, etc.
Actually, the answer is 'yes' ! I have previously posted on here about my conversion to UK screens, by ' Xanavi', based in St. Petersburg, but did a good job of identifying ther exact van type and supplying the bits. Cost was about £720.

I just got in contact with https://www.caraudioworkshop.co.nz/
They gave me a link to download onto a disc, I loaded the disc and now all the writting on the screen is in english, can change the time too. If you want proper all english system and sat nav then you can get in touch with xanavi guys. Good luck!
I did the same about a year ago. Worked a treat... Not bothered about sat nav in all honesty... Waze is perfect on my phone which I magnetise to the right of the screen... More than enough...

I can't be bothered with changing mine.
It came with a great sounding Pioneer navi head unit (sadly with no english language option)
I used google translate to work out how to pair my phone to it and I can happily use my phone now for my Amazon music.
Took a while to suss out the set-up but I quite like it all in Japanese anyway!
It will play dvds (not that we have any now) and I use my phone for sat-nav when needed.

is there a cheap android cast system available? more than happy to have my phone do everything front end wise. would still want the rear / side camera view on the existing van screen though . possible?

Last edited:
Actually, the answer is 'yes' ! I have previously posted on here about my conversion to UK screens, by ' Xanavi', based in St. Petersburg, but did a good job of identifying ther exact van type and supplying the bits. Cost was about £720.
I assume yours is a Series 3 E51 then? As last I head there was nothing available for the S1/2.
It does state in the opening post that the S3 and the E52 have a solution available.

I assume yours is a Series 3 E51 then? As last I head there was nothing available for the S1/2.
It does state in the opening post that the S3 and the E52 have a solution available.
We can do S2 but the price is a twice higher because of a lot of hardware :)

Hi, My apologies if I have come to this thread a little late but I brought my Elgrand about a year ago. The family and I loved it but not having satnav, radio and all the buttons/messages in japaneese was a real let down. I was looking into putting in an android device but I really didn't want another screen and it would still leave me with japaneese messages on the standard screen etc so it didn't really address the problem.
THEN I DISCOVERED XANAVI !!!

Having conversed with them over email I must admit to being dubious as to their claims but I took a punt and am I pleased that I did!
The system was arount £1250 which is on the high price end but Xanavi sent me all the necessary parts and their post sales support cannot be fauted.
What I now have (using all standard Nissan components) is a working satnav (on the Elgrand monitor) (and the satnav is very good, a working UK radio, the cameras (reversing and blind side still work).....all the buttons are in English....and working and 85% of the display messages are in English (those that aren't are not really worth bothering with.
It would be true to say that I have lost the DVD player but I may get round to sourcing something. To be honest we all have tablets and mobile phones so the DVD player is not an issue.
Oh, I forgot to add that the system also connects to mobiles via blutooth and those clever guys at Xanavi even sent me a USB socket which sits in the glove box. This allows me to plug in a film etc to the USB connector and watch it on the standard monitor by using the AUX input function.

Personally I am delighted with the result and recommend it to anyone looking for a UK Elgrans conversion.
The installation took me a while because I was not certain what I was doing. The Xanavi instructions were very clear and precise and, as I said, their support helped me through the process. Looking back I could do it again in a day.

If I can find a few spare moments I might upload a you tube video or something showing the results.

Hope this helps anyone who is on the fence.

Doug and Elgie (well you gotta call it something right!)

I have an E51 S1 2002 - what would be the best solution for me - I want to be able to pair my phone and play music through it as well as answer phone calls.

Back