• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Boat pics

PMSL

Yes I remembered to put the plug in, I did that the other day to make sure I didn't forget today lol.

It went great!

Got up this morning, had a big breakfast, did a few bits on the boat (that I had to do really) such as tidy up remaining tools, nuts and bolts, check the fill level and dipstick seals on the drive, refit the drive cover, temporary fit a trim panel that runs across the width between the swim platform and rear of the engine bay, secure everything (such as bimini / weather cover), fit the number plate to the trailer board, fit the trailer board, fit the road cover, go to the garage to get 5 gallons of super unleaded in a jerry can, pour jerry can into boat fuel tank. Doesn't sound much but it was 1pm before I'd got that done.

Easy launch at around 2pm, reversed at steady speed into the water then hit the brakes and the boat slid off backwards while the missus held onto a bow rope. Didn't get back home until around 830pm hence the late post. First thing I did after launching was make sure water wasn't p***ing into the bilge... A missing drain plug would be last of my worries if (e.g.) there was a big leak on the bellows or cooling system inlet.

Dropped the leg on the hydraulics, trim gauge working perfectly. Gave it a couple of pumps on the throttle, returned throttle to a slight opening / fast idle position, turned the key and it burst into life first attempt and sounded great. Oil pressure 40psi, all gauges working except the tacho (revounter) reads what I think is double rpm. Let it idle for a minute while I hand monitored water cooled exhaust manifold temperatures, all good. Forward and reverse gears engaged perfectly. I let the others come onboard and we cast off.

Loads of boats moored on the river in the area of the launch site so had to go steady past them (there's a supposed 5 knots speed limit and wouldn't want to cause much wake past moored boats) but would have gone steady anyway because the engine is newly rebuilt and needs some running in. Even going steady I kept slightly changing throttle position to vary the rpms/load a bit, it's best to keep varying rpm/load when running in a rebuilt engine.

After around half an hour an open bit of river, no moored boats or fishermen, slowly increased the throttle to around half throttle (still too early to gun it), easily up on the plain and up to around 30mph no problem and without ever going above maybe 2500rpm. Soon brought it back down to a slower speed again because it's still running in. The dash temp gauge did go from 140degF to around 180degF during the short bit of half throttle, that's not a problem if the temps really are 140 and 180 (I'm not sure the gauge is fully accurate) but the 40F increase was another reason I pulled it back. I think this will be normal but I'll be asking on boating forums anyway.

The hydraulics were working fine but I tried adjusting trim under load (trim up slightly on the plain) and didn't hear the trim motor run and it hasn't run since. I don't know what the problem with that is yet, worst case scenario a broken trim motor but could be something as simple as an electrical connection that needs cleaning up (the trim system gets power from an electronics box on the engine), a tripped circuit breaker (again one fitted on the engine just for the trim motor). I left the boat moored on the river for a few days and will be visiting it again sometime tomorrow so I'll take a multimeter and some wire in case I want to test by powering the trim motor direct from a battery (bypass all control systems and solenoids).

Stopped the boat a few times and checked oil level / condition. It's not as easy to check condition on the boat engine as it is with a car application because the dipstick tube runs under the sump... the oil you see on the stick will give you correct level but doesn't really tell you much about condition because the oil in the tube will probably stay new looking regardless of condition of oil in the sump. But the oil level was still bang on the top of the stick hatched area aftar around 5 hours of running, which is good. Obviously wouldn't want the oil level to go down but (obvious to mechanics) wouldn't want it to go up either as that could point to water entering oil (again would be difficult to tell on the boat because you can't tell much about oil condition by reading the stick).

Got to get the hydarulics / trim working somehow. It's OK in the fully trimmed down position for use on the river but I can't get the boat out of the water with the drive leg fully down (it will catch on the riverbed when putting it on the trailer or on the road if I managed to get it on the trailer). If the trim pump/motor assembly is broken there are 2 ways to lift the drive leg, either unbolt the hydraulic rams from the drive leg or disconnect the hydraulic lines at the pump/motor and manually lift the leg. Hope to find it's just a bad connection or broken switches/solenoids (which can be bypassed).

All considered I consider its first test a great success only let down by the trim system stopping working and to a lesser extent by the tacho reading double rpm. Plenty poke in the engine now, sounds great, no knocking noises etc, no unusual vibrations, it's supposed (by the boat maker) to be able to do around 47mph and it feels like it'll probably manage that but I'll only put it to the test when I've put more hours on the newly rebuilt engine.

I'm pleased :)

Last edited:
Oh yes, forgot to mention...

At one point it started raining so we put the weather cover up. But that highlighted how dirty the windows were. So I decided to wet a cloth in the river water and use the cloth to wipe all the windows. So I leaned over the side of the boat with this cloth but one of my pairs of glasses (I usually have 2 pairs on, one in the usual eyes position the other on my head in case I need to double up lol) fell off into the river. Not my £1 shop plastic glasses that would probably float, no, the pair that fell in the river were my metal framed £25 favourite glasses.

But, hah, I found I'd left a broken 2nd pair of glasses (one of the arms broken off but still usable at a push, especially if doubling up lol) in the boat. The found in the boat pair suited me better for doing final engine checks (oil level etc). But I ended up dropping that pair into the bilge below the engine with no chance of recovering them lol.

Simon, I’m so happy things with the boat worked out more or less as planned, the rebuild was the main thing and it’s sounds like an overall success
As for your glasses, well, I don’t know wether to laugh or cry, not actually seeing it I don’t know if it was a serious moment or something like a benny hill sketch

Well done mate ( boat wise) :heart_eyes:

Simon, I’m so happy things with the boat worked out more or less as planned, the rebuild was the main thing and it’s sounds like an overall success
As for your glasses, well, I don’t know wether to laugh or cry, not actually seeing it I don’t know if it was a serious moment or something like a benny hill sketch

Well done mate ( boat wise) :heart_eyes:
Benny Hill, or Frank Spencer lol.

Good news Simon! If things work out the way you are expecting, it won't be long before you are getting nicked by the river speed cops. 🚣‍♂️🚤
This (video below) was just a one-off George, pick the times and places on the river to give it a bit of stick but this was still around half throttle and close to the minimum speed it will plane. Just about to pass under the A64 bridge, 6 knots speed limit but I might have stretched it to 25 knots lol.

One for you mate, loads of herons on the river today.

IMG-20240610-WA0001.jpg

My son driving the boat this evening. He's flies planes but "Will you take over when we pass this oncoming boat dad". Needs a haircut lol.

20240610_200403.jpg

We slowed down to put the weather cover on fully just after the A64 bridge, dark clouds above, glad we did because it peed it down when we got to York a few minutes later.

20240610_200413.jpg

Going slow on approach to the bishop's house, boars moored just behind us.

IMG-20240610-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:
Did the weather cover do its job?
I've had a few soakings in the past when it didn't.
We had an 18ft fishing boat (sea) that three of us made entirely ourselves. It only had a small cuddy/cabin at the front end and when we tested it by chucking buckets of water at it and using a hose pipe it was fine.
We were about a mile offshore one day when we got hit by a squall and so two of us squashed into the cabin - and came out soaked because it leaked.
It looks like you had a really good day. I bet you were feeling very pleased (smug):) when everything worked as well as it did.
Is there much that needs doing before the next outing?

Did the weather cover do its job?
I've had a few soakings in the past when it didn't.
We had an 18ft fishing boat (sea) that three of us made entirely ourselves. It only had a small cuddy/cabin at the front end and when we tested it by chucking buckets of water at it and using a hose pipe it was fine.
We were about a mile offshore one day when we got hit by a squall and so two of us squashed into the cabin - and came out soaked because it leaked.
It looks like you had a really good day. I bet you were feeling very pleased (smug):) when everything worked as well as it did.
Is there much that needs doing before the next outing?
The cover works great, the inside stays totally dry regardless of rain etc. I had it up in the yard for a month so I could do some work on the insides of the boat regardless of the weather. The only problem is there are no windscreen wipers.

Yeah I'm pleased with it, still jobs to do on it... For starters it needs a good clean up but that can wait until I've fixed the other problems. The tilt/trim I think I've mentioned, it worked great for the first 5 minutes of day 1 then didn't work the rest of that day, worked again for 5 minutes the next day then stopped working, I hope it works for 5 minutes again the next time I use it because that will point to something like a (hopefully) simple over-zealous thermal cut-out for the trim motor and I can try running the motor straight from battery power to circumvent any thermal switch etc. Still wires under the dash to tidy/tie up. A small panel under the dash that holds the fire extinguisher to refit. There's a padded/trimmed/fake leather/vinly hinged trim/access panel that runs the wdith of the boat at the rear of the engine, one of the hinges has pulled out of the wood (was like it when I bought it) so there's that to fix. The engine sometimes seems to run at normal temperature sometimes too cold but this might just be some debris in the new thermostat and should be a fairly easy fix. The VHF is broke, power/volume switch snapped off already when I bought it, at some point I'll try to fix that and if I can't fix it try to buy something to replace it with. I want to relocate the VHF anyway (it partially spoils the forward view for anyone sitting down in the front passenger seat) and fit a compass. Big 12inch hole between the cabin and the rear under the dashboard where an ex owner had a sub speaker fitted, the cabinet for the sub protruded into the cabin and I wanted the cabinet gone so removed it all. I might refit the speaker in it's original hole and run it as an infinite baffle setup without the cabinet in the cabin, with the cabin doors closed it would still work like a sub anyway so ne need for the cabinet.

Strictly speaking nothing needs doing before I next use it, it's currently tied up on a mooring at the river, I could just go turn the key undo the ropes and go for another drive up the river. But the other jobs definitely need doing and I might have to address the tilt/trim before I can get it out of the water because if I can't raise the drive leg it will catch on the river bottom when trying to get it on the trailer or even if I get it on the trailer the leg will be dragging along the ground. If the trim pump won't work it's not like I could even just jack the leg up because its held in position by the hydraulic rams so would either need to unbolt the rams from the drive leg or open the hydraulic system and make a mess with the hydraulic fluid that would come out.

Was the water intake on the drive leg pulling in enough to keep it cool?
Yes mate easily enough it seems. If there's a problem it's more like it's running too cool at times rather than too hot.

Some good news and bad news today.... I visited the boat again with intention of just spending an hour looking at the trim tilt/system, I've only just got back from that but had more time on the boat than I expected. I was expecting a customer collecting their newly LPG converted Elgrand from me this evening but while I was there they txted me to say they wouldn't get here until 8pm (later than expected). I quickly fixed the tilt/trim system, the problem turned out to be a very easy fix, just a case of a bit of corrosion in the connector plug that supplies the tilt/trim system with electrical power. I just unplugged and plugged it back in a few times and the tilt trim has worked fine since. Then, knowing I had extra time I decided to go for a quick run up the river in the boat by myself and gave it a little more stick this time, still nowhere near flat out but I had Google maps showing speed on my phone and had it up to around 35mph while I tested the trim still worked.

Tilt/trim power connection plug
20240611_163304.jpg

Then turned around again and driving slowly past some moored half a mile from the mooring spot the engine just died! No nasty noises or anything. So I turned the key to start it and it sputtered as though trying to start, so I gave it a couple of dips of the throttle and it started and ran for a couple of seconds before dying again, so I strongly suspect and hope that it is a simple case of me running it out of fuel. I was surprised when I got to the boat today because I thought when I left it last night the fuel gauge was reading 1/4 full but today it hasn't shifted from pointing to empty. I've been putting 20 litres in it from a jerry can before every trip and I know it will be using a bit more than that but the tank was already between a quarter and a half full before I first used it on Sunday (and added the first 20L from a jerry can). Still I think it's probably used more fuel than I thought. A bit of a sinking feeling (not literally sinking) when you break down on the water, especially on a midweek evening with few other boaters around. Phoned the guy who works at the marina and lives on a boat near the mooring, pleased that he picked the call up, I said "Its me who left your mooring 45 minutes ago, bit embarassing but I think I've run out of fuel". He laughed and said he'd have a ride up on his little inflatable, I asked "Are you bringing some fuel", he said "No I'll tow you back" and he did. Very good of him I thought, I asked how much he'd want to come out to me and he said "Nothing you're alright". When we'd finished I wanted to give him at least a few quid to buy a couple of pints but he'd already disappeared into his house boat with his young daughter so I thought I'll see him next time I visit the boat and give it him then.

Oops :joy:

20240611_182646.jpg

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the engine, worst it could be really is something like an easily changed mechanical fuel pump, blocked fuel filter, blocked pick up pipe, water in fuel, or most likely my fault for running the tank empty lol.

Last edited:
How embarassing! 🥵Any chance that someone has nicked a few litres while it was moored?
You'll have to get it running on LPG!
I wasn't really embarassed tbh but it made for a good opener for the conversation lol.

There is a chance someone nicked fuel because the fuel cap isn't locking and it is possible to open it and stick a pipe in it to pump/siphon fuel out.. But I've been thinking about it and I think I made 2 simple mistakes, I had it in my head that I'd set the new fuel level sender and dashboard fuel gauge up so it would read empty at quarter full (and below empty when under quarter full) when really I set it to show empty at less than quarter full. Also I will have been using more fuel than the amount I've been putting in by more than I expected, I knew I was using more than 20 litres per day but thinking about it now I'll have been using quite a bit more than 20 litres per day, enough for it to have supped all 20 litres per day plus all the fuel in the tank it already had in before Sunday.

Yes I might well convert it to LPG, would expect to gain a few horsepower too if I fitted a 4bbl inlet and throttle body from a 4bbl carb and it would be much better for the engine than the Holley 'fuel tap' carb that will see fuel droplet size wash oil from the cylinder bores.

Fixed an Elgrand earlier today.

Then went back to the boat for a quck visit and to put my mind at rest that it had just run out of fuel. I added 20 litres from a jerry can and it started and ran great on 2nd attempt (which will have been when the fuel pump refilled the carb float bowl).

I think the reason I ran out of fuel is I will have been reading the gauge wrong on the water. When the boat was on the trailer the gauge did show 1/4 tank when the tank was around 1/4 full but on the water the stern sits lower than the bow and the sender is fitted near the rear of the tank.

I wish I'd checked the gauge again today before I put that first 20 litres in the tank, I didn't because that would've meant climbing into the boat to turn the ignition on then having to climb back out to add the fuel. But I dare say the guage would still have showed empty before I added it. The thing is, when I'd added just 20 litres the gauge showed half and it's a 25 UK gallon (29 US gallon) tank so 20litres from empty shouldn't even show 1/4 full. I only added another 26 litres at the marina fuel pontoon, so at this point it would have had around 11 gallons in the tank (still less than half full) but the gauge fluctuated between reading 1/2 and 3/4 full.

In future I'll need to remember that the gauge might read between 1/2 and 3/4 full when there's only 11 gallons in the tank, and that when full the gauge will read past the full mark. Or I could move the pointer on the fuel gauge so when it would currently read 1/4 now it would read empty instead (and empty would be pointing at less than empty on the gauge), but I think it'll be OK if I remember how the gauge works now without having to move the pointer on the gauge.

Back