• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Rest Of World Timing chains and sprockets replacement

boolsifter

Active Newbie
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Elgrand
E51
Region
Rest Of World
Hello from Queensland,
Looks like I'm up for the timing chain and sprockets replacement. I have about 150,000 kilometers, so it appears I am overdue as service says 100,000 kilometers.

For the moment we are using our 2019 Isuzu d'max X Rider, but it has no handicap lift, so I am lifting our 30 year old daughter with MS and a host of other issues, into the right rear of the d'max, oh my aching 71 year old back.
XL seat from Startracks USA
I have been trying to buy one of these, but with the COVID19 lockdown, having trouble getting in touch with the supplier in Elkhart, Indiana USA. Shipping is also a nightmare. Phil

Carl archer

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Elgrand
E51
Region
Rest Of World
you can order most parts online or through ebay for timing gear. There are also multiple sites to get stuff from japan. I usually search E51 part from japan and It will bring up a list of suppliers with genuine parts

Kenzie

Premium Member
E51 Owner
North West
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Elgrand
E51
Region
North West
Sure timing was nil service

Lize

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
East Anglia
Reaction score
First Name
Liz
Elgrand
E51
Region
East Anglia
@Pixelpoker did his timing chain amongst various other works. Not his first post but some info here:

If your daughter isn't driving maybe you could look for a second hand Welcab seat from an Elgrand Enchant? Nissan offered front and mid row passenger motorised seats as an option although neither lifts the chair. Might be a bit of a long shot too.

Pixelpoker

Premium Member
E51 Owner
South East
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
From experience only buy genuine Nissan parts, not eBay garbage. I bought eBay parts and I did mine last year. 1 year later in did them again as all the chains had stretched !!

“Buy cheap, pay twice”

I got mine direct from Japan:

front and rear chains
3xhydraulic tensioners
All sprockets and seals
Water pump )you may as well change that if you have the front cover off)
New oil seal (the paper one will be leaking I reckon)
New chain tensioners and guides

Total price before U.K. import duties - £450☹

it’s a big old job to do the rear chains as you have to take off the valve covers and all the front sprockets to get to the rear tensioners. It took around 15 hrs to disassemble and reassemble.