• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

I had the bright idea of buying a second car in order to save on fuel costs, but here in the UK (SE London) my mileage is so low it didn’t make sense. Bought a Toyota Aygo new and after 18 months had only done 1500 miles. Sold it to “We buy any car dot con” for just £1k less than I paid for it. With the extra cost in depreciation, road tax and insurance, the hoped for saving just wasn’t there.
I have spent a lot of time trying to find a newer, greener, replacement for the Elgrand, but the E51’s are great cars to drive and very comfortable for 6 people.
My ideal car would be a plug in hybrid version of the Elgrand. 🥴
Mercedes V class has an electric version with an eye watering price 😊

Reactions: Bal
I had the bright idea of buying a second car in order to save on fuel costs, but here in the UK (SE London) my mileage is so low it didn’t make sense. Bought a Toyota Aygo new and after 18 months had only done 1500 miles. Sold it to “We buy any car dot con” for just £1k less than I paid for it. With the extra cost in depreciation, road tax and insurance, the hoped for saving just wasn’t there.
I have spent a lot of time trying to find a newer, greener, replacement for the Elgrand, but the E51’s are great cars to drive and very comfortable for 6 people.
There are petrol / electric hybrid Alphards, not an Elgrand but a similar kind of vehicle. I've converted them to LPG.

Good point, i found the Elgrand doesn't cost that much to rum unless you actually drive it, so if you don't do much mileage a second car isn't going to save you anything. I do 15k miles a year, so it was costing me a fortune and the mileage was making the Elgrand unreliable due to consumables wear mainly. I leased an EV for pretty much the same price as fueling the Elgrand, and that only costs £15 a week in Electricity. I haven't really saved any money overall, but I have more flexibility amd reliability.

I'm getting around 19mpg, mostly motorway miles at ~62mph. 3.3 VG33EE e50. Should I be getting more or is this about right? I can't see how dropping the speed by 7mph can get me an extra 10mpg, are there other things maybe going on here?

I'm getting around 19mpg, mostly motorway miles at ~62mph. 3.3 VG33EE e50. Should I be getting more or is this about right? I can't see how dropping the speed by 7mph can get me an extra 10mpg, are there other things maybe going on here?
I can't see how anyone could get much more than that out of a 20 year old V6 shed??!!

Except it’s not a shed! It’s a lovely piece of automobile engineering! 🙂
Absolutely . .., but one that is definitely shed shaped depending on the lighting if you look the right way...
Mine is very similar to my shed in that they both have green stuff growing all over them...

Been reading through this thread and I don't think I missed it, but apologies if I have. Does the E52 have better mpg figures? If I'm buying now, would a bit more on an E52 save me converting an E51 to LPG, or are they just about the same?

That seems a very strange question no disrespect meant. I would say the E51 and e52 are very different cars unlike say the E50 and E51. Even though engine and some parts are shared the E51 is more van like and E52 is more car like. I had finances in place to be able to afford either but I didn't consider the E52 as it wasn't anything that felt met with what I wanted. I would be familiarising myself with both models as mpg would be the last thing I would consider before choosing either.

I would imagine an E51 on lpg would easily be cheaper to run than an E52 without. The mpg on the 3.5v6 would be similar in both bad enough that I don't think a few mpg either way would make much difference.

Been reading through this thread and I don't think I missed it, but apologies if I have. Does the E52 have better mpg figures? If I'm buying now, would a bit more on an E52 save me converting an E51 to LPG, or are they just about the same?
I'm sure the E52 can achieve better mpg than the E51 in most driving conditions, especially the 4 cylinder 2.5 E52 compared to the others (all of which are V6's including the 2.5 E51). That's partly because the E52 is a lower vehicle, more car like where the E51 is more van like, and also due to the gearing (slushbox versus cvt). But like @Blippi says the difference in fuel economy between any E51 and any E52 wouldn't be enough to compensate for far cheaper fuel on LPG compared to petrol. My missus runs a 1.2 petrol Corsa, my E51 3.5 4x4 Elgarnd costs around the same to run per mile on LPG as the 1.2 Corsa costs to run per mile on petrol. I convert plenty E50's, E51's and E52's with all engine options to LPG. I like all Elgrands but I personally prefer a bulletproof reliable proper automatic slushbox to a CVT and when it comes to people carriers I prefer the more van like E50 and E51 over the big Zafira like E52.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the E51 by far, but feel I'd read somewhere on the wildly accurate internet that the newer E52 was much better on fuel. If it had been I might have entertained travelling too look at one, but if it's basically the same then there's no contest in my mind!

NE51, preferably already LPG converted with heated seats. The good lady has one stringent requirement for toasted buns!

That unicorn will be out there somewhere.

My e52 is shit on fuel. Some say they get 30mpg I can't see it.
Mine on lpg averages about 18-20 mixed driving

I just drove from Fife to Telford
In a Renault scenic 1.5 oil burner.
Screen said 50.0 miles to the boring smelly gallon.
You just have to accept poor economy over driving ideology 😎

Back