• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

Mine gets similar kpl. I'm aprox 90% town driving 10% longer runs. When reset and a bit of run got higher around the 8 mark but soon dropped when back to the work commute. I don't drive with fuel economy in mind so that probably doesn't help. Worked it out about equivalent of 15mpg, I run LPG and that's about half the price of super so makes it more like cost of 30mpg (rough man maths and if I'm wrong please don't correct my ignorance can keep my head in the sand on how much it costs haha).

As said binding brakes or calipers or bearing issues normally given away by wheels being hot to the touch and on a previous car could see smoke coming from the wheel when stopped.

Don't know how your access to lpg is but I'm lucky enough to have 3 different sources on my 10min work commute so for me it's a no brainer and makes it easier for me to use mine as a daily driver.
Thanks Blippi, that's interesting to hear.

Unfortunately lpg is pretty scarce where I am (middle of Sussex), so I don't think the conversion would be worth it?

I don't mind the fuel economy being poor as long as I know it's the best it can manage.

That sounds like a plan! You do get used to the cost, you just spend less on other stuff. Like food, or children.

No joke, I am literally leasing a new car for less than the price I was paying on fueling the Elgrand a month. But at least I get to keep it (its much cheaper to run standing still) and i do enjoy taking it out every couple of weeks for a change, go camping or if I need to lug something big.
That's it, I have a diesel golf that returns 65 mpg, so that does the general driving, but the whole family gets to go out in the Elgrand at the weekend.

My two year old daughter does generally point to the van when we are on our way out though, clearly she understands which vehicle is more fun...

Two years in I have so stopped worrying about it and so it doesn't (seem to) go down as quickly and it is normal.
Also, if you run it until the light comes on you fill up less often and that helps.

Two years in I have so stopped worrying about it and so it doesn't (seem to) go down as quickly and it is normal.
Also, if you run it until the light comes on you fill up less often and that helps.
All good thoughts, I shall go out and tell it I'm not worrying about it's economy now 😉

And I forgot, fill it to the brim and you can do 50 miles without the needle even twitching, then take it to the light and it will seem like you are driving a Micra.

What is the price of LPG/l and is there a map of LPG stations for London?

What is the price of LPG/l and is there a map of LPG stations for London?
I'm paying around 85p a litre where I live, there's a couple of places that charge more. Prices can vary quite a bit.
There's a dedicated thread on the subject, have a look at the first post which gives links the apps.
https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/lpg-in-your-area.31974/
It's in the technical area so you will need to get your post count past 10. Start with an introduction.

I'm paying around 85p a litre where I live, there's a couple of places that charge more. Prices can vary quite a bit.
There's a dedicated thread on the subject, have a look at the first post which gives links the apps.
https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/lpg-in-your-area.31974/
It's in the technical area so you will need to get your post count past 10. Start with an introduction.
Thank you for replying.
I live in London and it seems that there are not many LPG stations near my neighborhood. I found a map on Google and the closest is 20 minutes away £1/l or I can go fit a cheaper one 35 minutes away for £0.8/l. Thou I use the car daily, non of the PLG stations found online are in my interest area.
I thought I could get some advise on how to find the PLG stations, other that find it yourself (Google it) or “some apps” (names undisclosed, of course).
I have more then 10 posts, but I cannot access the technical area, thou I want to access it and make more post on there…

London is a large area without knowing your location the only thing that anyone can suggest is Google or an app like my mylpg.eu. Same as cost I pay 78p a litre but it can vary quite a lot depending on where you fill up.

London is a large area without knowing your location the only thing that anyone can suggest is Google or an app like my mylpg.eu. Same as cost I pay 78p a litre but it can vary quite a lot depending on where you fill up.
Thank you.
I live in Chiswick.
myLPG.eu.eu doesn’t connect to the database for some reason.

I thought I will let Simon install the LPG system, if I will decide to go with it, but I just noticed that he is far from London.
Are there any reliable installers in London, that you have used?

There are others you can use. Try the FillLPG or Autogas apps.

Elgrands are terrible on fuel, way worse than you would expect. A quick search on here will tell you that!! There really isn't anything wrong with it, that's what they do. It's a 2 tonne van with a 3.5L engine and the aerodynamics of a shed. I stopped using mine as a main car when I hit £400 a month on petrol. (And that was over 2 years ago!)
Yeah, this really is the reality of owning these things. When I first got mine, I was using it literally every day on decently-long runs, and my finances took a massive hit. I've since been using my Falcon again as my daily, and the amount of money I've been able to put aside is substantial. For context, my Falcon is a G6E Turbo - 4.0L straight six Barra with a big turbo on it from the factory, and its combined highway/urban economy is 8.4L/100km (Aussie here, no clue what that is in MPG), but my Elgrand? 17L/100km, and barely better than that at highway speeds.

They're just thirsty beasts. I got mine for travel, but after it cost me $2,500AUD in fuel to go from Perth to Adelaide and back, it's just become my special car I drive to treat myself hahaha

Yeah, this really is the reality of owning these things. When I first got mine, I was using it literally every day on decently-long runs, and my finances took a massive hit. I've since been using my Falcon again as my daily, and the amount of money I've been able to put aside is substantial. For context, my Falcon is a G6E Turbo - 4.0L straight six Barra with a big turbo on it from the factory, and its combined highway/urban economy is 8.4L/100km (Aussie here, no clue what that is in MPG), but my Elgrand? 17L/100km, and barely better than that at highway speeds.

They're just thirsty beasts. I got mine for travel, but after it cost me $2,500AUD in fuel to go from Perth to Adelaide and back, it's just become my special car I drive to treat myself hahaha
I had the bright idea of buying a second car in order to save on fuel costs, but here in the UK (SE London) my mileage is so low it didn’t make sense. Bought a Toyota Aygo new and after 18 months had only done 1500 miles. Sold it to “We buy any car dot con” for just £1k less than I paid for it. With the extra cost in depreciation, road tax and insurance, the hoped for saving just wasn’t there.
I have spent a lot of time trying to find a newer, greener, replacement for the Elgrand, but the E51’s are great cars to drive and very comfortable for 6 people.
My ideal car would be a plug in hybrid version of the Elgrand. 🥴

Back