• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Can I convert the screens to English?

I'm doing this with mine, they do them for Apple too.

It's a little bit of pulling apart and you need a head unit but it's actually comparatively simple if you've fitted audio systems before.

They have links to installation in the advert.

I had this thought after seeing it - "I could just buy the bits and save myself about £60"

dkGQlk

It was £200 off eBay seller with English translation stickers for the stereo buttons but I have found out there are people on the Facebook groups that do it for £150.
Not too bad. Cheers 👍

I have just converted my E51 (2008) settings screen to English using Richard Griffiths https://www.caraudioworkshop.co.nz from New Zealand, he gave clear and concise instructions, and sent over the updates that I downloaded to a compact flash card, slotted it in the car, followed the instructions and within minutes the settings were changed, the clock can be overidden by +- 12 hours (this also updates the clock in the roof). Don't get me wrong there is still a lot of Japanese text and maps etc still in Japanese, but at least its not quite so frustrating! paid by paypal

Attachments

• settings.jpg
    settings.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 32
For the S2 has anybody played with arduino or raspberry pi to do a conversion. Looking at the wiring diagrams it may be possible to interrupt the signals from the bcm to the navi cu to convert the data. It would take some time to get it right, read the data and convert. Next to cats and mpg must be one of the most asked questions.

Quite a task. The GUI is generated by the firmware in screen controller which is fed a data stream from the BCM of the relevant values to display. I think the effort to gain ratio is why no has done it.

Quite a task. The GUI is generated by the firmware in screen controller which is fed a data stream from the BCM of the relevant values to display. I think the effort to gain ratio is why no has done it.
Going to try anyway, as it keeps me busy. I have a bit of knowledge on rasp pi. Will hook up an osc to the bcm to navi cu read the data and see if I can convert. GUI are easy to create, it’s the data stream and addressing that will take longest. Finding a decent top hat for reversing and blind side cameras etc…. Other area would be interested in is roof cu clock and condensing mic hook up.

I wish you luck then. It would probably be easier to use a different screen to show your GUI and interface the CVBS feeds with it, in which case a touch screen would be the way to go. I've worked on Extron and AMX systems but probably a bit overkill for a car.

The clock can be rigged if you have a series 2 or later, there's a thread here on how to do it. The built in condensing mic is rubbish quality, I tried using it but ended up buying a new mic.

knowing me it will be a (pi)e in the sky idea if a that will get shelved but if I have any joys, I will let you know.

Unless the expensive rumours are true

Take a look on ebay #185951630293 , I know nothing about it and it could be a scam. You have been warned.

No need for it to be a scam, i guess they buy the download from NZ, burn it to a disc, chuck in a sheet of stickers, add a few quid and post it to you. Or, they bought one download from NZ and cracked it.

It isn't a scam as I used there services but I am aware there are others doing it for cheaper but I believe Facebook is where to find them 👍

Simple answer is no. The standard Elgrand In Car Entertainment hardware is designed for use in Japan only. The Sat Nav is for Japan only, the menu's are all in Japanese, and no, there is no way to convert them to English.

I believe the later S3 E51's and the E52's have a solution available, but I'm not too clued up on it.

You can either learn to live with Radio 2, no sat nav, and managing with the standard set up, or you can apply some of the work arounds/solutions to resolve this.

The simplest method, but only available to those with the AV pack (meaning you have Audio/Video inputs on the drivers side in the rear door card) is to get an external DVD player that you can set to output in NTSC (UK is PAL) format, and then whatever you play will come through the screens.

For those who don't have the AV pack, or want something a little more permanent, you will need to look into replacing the standard head unit.

There are guides in the "how To" section that will talk you through replacing both E50 and E51 hardware for UK spec (or local spec whatever country you're in) including wiring requirements, things you'll need, etc.
Actually, the answer is Yes ! Xanavi provided me with a kit..complete new head unit..English menus, radio, Cd player and SAtNav.
Cost was about £800, based in ST. Petersburg..good service, they answer queries quite promptly.

Actually, the answer is Yes ! Xanavi provided me with a kit..complete new head unit..English menus, radio, Cd player and SAtNav.
Cost was about £800, based in ST. Petersburg..good service, they answer queries quite promptly.
Yes...that's for S3 E51 and E52s.
As said in the post you reference...
I believe the later S3 E51's and the E52's have a solution available, but I'm not too clued up on it.
One of the advantages of having a later model!

I have just converted my E51 (2008) settings screen to English using Richard Griffiths https://www.caraudioworkshop.co.nz from New Zealand, he gave clear and concise instructions, and sent over the updates that I downloaded to a compact flash card, slotted it in the car, followed the instructions and within minutes the settings were changed, the clock can be overidden by +- 12 hours (this also updates the clock in the roof). Don't get me wrong there is still a lot of Japanese text and maps etc still in Japanese, but at least its not quite so frustrating! paid by paypal
Do you know if it works for earlier models? e.g. 2003?
I will investigate shortly, but I'm trying to get my post count up :)

Back