• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Bike carriers for rear Elgrand...

TheRealGokVan

Premium Member
North West
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Elgrand
E51
Region
North West
Does anyone know of any specific Elgrand rear bike carriers that fix on to the top of the rear spoiler and lower tailgate ? Like the one you get on VW transporters ?

Whichever you buy you'll also need to upgrade the gas struts in the rear door if you want it to open with the rack fitted.

Looking to get some sort of 3 or 4 bike rack once I get an Elgrand, question is does this Thale and the Fiamma one block the lights or number plate so that you would need an extension board for indicators (or whatever it's called???)

like this ?
I have this thule 973 with 18 fitting kit. I just cannot get it to fit right on my e50 😢 (standard back, no spoiler to speak of)
Any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks in advancd

I have a 4 bike Buzzrack that attaches to a towbar - I have been really impressed with this method of carrying 4 bikes. Only just got my E51, so getting a town bar fitted is on the list of things to get....once I have sorted the noisy suspension / shock absorbers.

Looking to get some sort of 3 or 4 bike rack once I get an Elgrand, question is does this Thale and the Fiamma one block the lights or number plate so that you would need an extension board for indicators (or whatever it's called???)
I have the Thule 973 fitted to my E51 S1 (standard spoiler) - the 'shelf' on which the bike wheels rest on can be fixed at different heights. I have mine set so that the rear number plate is visible below the 'shelf' when carrying bikes. I could set it higher but then the top of the bikes are some way higher than the vehicle which presents difficulties in some height restricted car parks.

The Thule fitting notes do say that some countries have specific number plate viewing angle criteria (pic below) - my arrangement possibly doesn't meet this criteria but after many journeys across France, I haven't encountered any problems so far.

1621211578756.png

1621211776315.png

Hello to those with the Thule 973 fitted. Did you need both the Thule 18 fitting kit AND the extra brackets from ebay (which are e51 specific) or just one or the other? Mine is an E51 series 2 XL with no fancy bodykit...... Thanks!

like this ?
Ayup, just trying to fit the 973 to my van and wary of the top attachment going over the spoiler... one knock upwards and it feels they will come loose and take my boot off!? Any thoughts? Cheers!

Ayup, just trying to fit the 973 to my van and wary of the top attachment going over the spoiler... one knock upwards and it feels they will come loose and take my boot off!? Any thoughts? Cheers!
Do you have plastic trim on the bottom of your boot lid (HWS, and some other models) ?

if so the metal fixings that come with the fixing kit will need modifying - or see if @Shore Campers can supply you some modified brackets. I did the latter and it’s much more secure.

Do you have plastic trim on the bottom of your boot lid (HWS, and some other models) ?

if so the metal fixings that come with the fixing kit will need modifying - or see if @Shore Campers can supply you some modified brackets. I did the latter and it’s much more secure.
Yep, got some modified fittings for the trim. It’s more the top clip with the holes in. If that comes off if hitting a bump seems a lot of weight for the two brackets at the bottom to take?

Yep, got some modified fittings for the trim. It’s more the top clip with the holes in. If that comes off if hitting a bump seems a lot of weight for the two brackets at the bottom to take?
Can’t say I’ve been concerned. Happily had 3 on the back whilst touring with no ill effects. All of these type of racks seem to fit the same way - I’m sure more of the engineeringly minded in the group will be able to offer a better explanation, similarly concerns with impact on the spoiler have been allayed

Cheers - any explanations from anyone welcome! Ha thanks
Can’t say I’ve been concerned. Happily had 3 on the back whilst touring with no ill effects. All of these type of racks seem to fit the same way - I’m sure more of the engineeringly minded in the group will be able to offer a better explanation, similarly concerns with impact on the spoiler have been allayed

What are the spec of the gas struts needed to take the extra weight of the Thule 973? Thanks

Back