• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

WHAT THE FUCK???!!!!

Thing is, if you delve deeper into it, there;s so much smoke and mirrors it's hard to really nail if one *is* fully synthetic.
Go on Castrol's edge or magnetic data sheets, none actually says fully synthetic, nor does it say on the bottles.
Even mobil1 5w-30 ESP says 'synthetic technology' on the bottle, and their site says (for 5w-30) performance synthetic.....yet their 0w-30 ESP says fully on the bottle, and on their site. So why don't 5w-30 ESP say it?

I'm probably going Shell A5/B5 Helix Ultra, as at least they put FULLY SYNTHETIC on the bottle!

The thing is, all of my life I've believed in the big oil companies. I've believed that they've got my back and money and marketing isn't their priority. I've thought the big oil companies were kind of like my background 'big parents', a benevolent 'it takes a community' ethos.
I feel devastated.

Last edited:
View attachment 102709

I got this recently. Definitely Fully Synthetic.
Yeah, that's what I'm getting/bringing when I get the Elgrand service. The mechanic said I can bring my own. I'll get the AF one though, as that's A5/B5 spec (yours is cool too of course).

I'll get that for the NISMO RS too (Nov), as on paper it's almost identical to the former FULLY synthetic Nissan oil they USED to sell

What price were you paying, £35 or so for 5L on ebay?

Thing is, if you delve deeper into it, there;s so much smoke and mirrors it's hard to really nail if one *is* fully synthetic.
Go on Castrol's edge or magnetic data sheets, none actually says fully synthetic, nor does it say on the bottles.
Even mobil1 5w-30 ESP says 'synthetic technology' on the bottle, and their site says (for 5w-30) performance synthetic.....yet their 0w-30 ESP says fully on the bottle, and on their site. So why don't 5w-30 ESP say it?

I'm probably going Shell A5/B5 Helix Ultra, as at least they put FULLY SYNTHETIC on the bottle!

The thing is, all of my life I've believed in the big oil companies. I've believed that they've got my back and money and marketing isn't their priority. I've thought the big oil companies were kind of like my background 'big parents', a benevolent 'it takes a community' ethos.
I feel devastated.
When i was being walked around CosCo today i was thinking about you, and your double bamboo quilt. Oil conundrum -

The oils that I recall having " Fully Synthetic " written on the label, now don't.

The MAGNATEC is cheap though.

IMG_5005.jpeg
IMG_5006.jpeg

Not sure if anyone would know, but when I started Furgo up the other day, after a few days sitting facing up the road, (the road has a slight upward gradient) it wouldn't move. I was boxed in at the front, so had to move backwards. I gently tried accelerating, nothing. Checked foot brake wasn't on, nope. Tried again with a bit more oooomph and there was a loud thud. Just wondering if the brakes on the back had seized? 🤔

Not sure if anyone would know, but when I started Furgo up the other day, after a few days sitting facing up the road, (the road has a slight upward gradient) it wouldn't move. I was boxed in at the front, so had to move backwards. I gently tried accelerating, nothing. Checked foot brake wasn't on, nope. Tried again with a bit more oooomph and there was a loud thud. Just wondering if the brakes on the back had seized? 🤔
Parking brake can stick on most cars after being stood, for some reason it’s more so if they are nearly at full adjustment

Parking brake can stick on most cars after being stood, for some reason it’s more so if they are nearly at full adjustment

Thanks, it's not happened in four years of living here and having cars parked out there during lockdown, etc... so was a bit of a shock!

Last edited:
@Elgraman Like this? What does the A5/B5 do?View attachment 102713
a5/b5 is one of many oil specs (so is that C3) in the ACEA spec list

The Elgrand's manual got a5/b5 in the oil specs, as does my NISMO RS

I wouldn't get hung up over this sort of stuff though, that Shell you got is cool

When i was being walked around CosCo today i was thinking about you, and your double bamboo quilt. Oil conundrum -

The oils that I recall having " Fully Synthetic " written on the label, now don't.

The MAGNATEC is cheap though.

View attachment 102714
View attachment 102715
Why were you walking around Cosco thinking of me and double bamboo mattress toppers lol :laughing:

Back