• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

WHAT THE FUCK???!!!!

If you don’t mind me asking, are you big?
I’ve never had any complaints.

The way I see it…….If for example my Audi OPG was showing Low oil pressure it would be an issue that needed addressing.

If it was reading High, everyone is happy.

I have to say this is a very disappointing response from SGS, I had expected better from their products and service. I also had a disappointment with some Micra struts I bought which were unable to hold up the rear hatch and the only thing they would do is refund which left me out of pocket with the postage and I then had to buy some cheap Chinese ones off eBay which worked perfectly and are still OK.
They have not responded to my last mail asking for confirmation that they won’t do anything about it so I am posting here. You all can make up your own minds about where you go for struts now. Read from bottom to top….

“Thank you for your reply Rhiannon.

It is indeed disappointing as the original ones that Nissan fitted were rust free after 12 years and I still retain them “just in case”

Please confirm that should there be rusting of the outer black tube, it will not be covered by your two year warranty if the product is used on a road car, mounted in the cavity between rear hatch and body in the normal way, as used on millions of cars world-wide.

Regards,

Rhiannon Carey (SGS Engineering UK Ltd)
Mar 31, 2023, 09:02 GMT+1
Good morning,

I can only apologise that your gas struts haven't lasted as long as you had hoped, unfortunately, because the gas struts are made from mild steel, if they become wet or are exposed to the elements they will begin to rust. For example, living near the sea, the salt water air will cause the struts to corrode.

I would like to apologise for any disappointment caused.

Kind regards,

Rhiannon Carey

Hi, in January 2022 I bought a pair of 820N gas struts for my Nissan Elgrand (as you usually supply for this vehicle, slightly longer than the Nissan originals) but already they have gone rusty. Please advise.

Regards

They are a bit rubbish. I ended up rubbing mine down, repainting and then encasing them in heat shrink tubing, but I can tell they are still rusting below the heat shrink as it's beginning to bubble.
I have to say this is a very disappointing response from SGS, I had expected better from their products and service. I also had a disappointment with some Micra struts I bought which were unable to hold up the rear hatch and the only thing they would do is refund which left me out of pocket with the postage and I then had to buy some cheap Chinese ones off eBay which worked perfectly and are still OK.
They have not responded to my last mail asking for confirmation that they won’t do anything about it so I am posting here. You all can make up your own minds about where you go for struts now. Read from bottom to top….

“Thank you for your reply Rhiannon.

It is indeed disappointing as the original ones that Nissan fitted were rust free after 12 years and I still retain them “just in case”

Please confirm that should there be rusting of the outer black tube, it will not be covered by your two year warranty if the product is used on a road car, mounted in the cavity between rear hatch and body in the normal way, as used on millions of cars world-wide.

Regards,

Rhiannon Carey (SGS Engineering UK Ltd)
Mar 31, 2023, 09:02 GMT+1
Good morning,

I can only apologise that your gas struts haven't lasted as long as you had hoped, unfortunately, because the gas struts are made from mild steel, if they become wet or are exposed to the elements they will begin to rust. For example, living near the sea, the salt water air will cause the struts to corrode.

I would like to apologise for any disappointment caused.

Kind regards,

Rhiannon Carey

Hi, in January 2022 I bought a pair of 820N gas struts for my Nissan Elgrand (as you usually supply for this vehicle, slightly longer than the Nissan originals) but already they have gone rusty. Please advise.

Regards

They are a bit rubbish. I ended up rubbing mine down, repainting and then encasing them in heat shrink tubing, but I can tell they are still rusting below the heat shrink as it's beginning to bubble.
I painted mine as soon as I got them ( my orange phase) haven’t checked on them since, I should probably have a look

Heat shrink, cracking idea main sewer le Stempy, wont even paint them, just scrape off loose powder-coat, apply rust converter then shrink on.

Insurance renewal time, notice that some of you use Direct Line, I won't be joining you apparently :eek: WTF
1680377446513.png

WTF, a tin of Heinz beans purchased in the UK with the tomato sauce poured off

View attachment 86826

Versus a tin of Heinz beans purchased in France with the sauce poured off

View attachment 86827

You boys are being ripped off. Both cans had an indicated weight of 415 grammes.
That's odd because to my knowledge (and I'm a bit of an expert on beans) Heinz beans are only made in one place - Wigan. They should be exactly the same product.

I know there's plenty of shenanigans in the food industry, but I'd be amazed if Heinz messed about.

I use Adrian Flux. Other brokers are available and may be cheaper.
I use Adrian Flux for my camper conversion, first year of getting Elgrand their quote was way off the mark, currently with Greenlight, just trying to get it south of £400 a year fully comp

I am with Direct line.
I have just renewed it.
Might be best to ring them up to sort it.

That's odd because to my knowledge (and I'm a bit of an expert on beans) Heinz beans are only made in one place - Wigan. They should be exactly the same product.

I know there's plenty of shenanigans in the food industry, but I'd be amazed if Heinz messed about.
Maybe the pie-eaters have helped themselves to the odd one or three on the production line :)

Curse my otherwise splendid Highway Star! Anyone want to swap their 7 seater Elgrand for it 🤣
Just pull out the useless middle seat in the middle row, et voila.

Direct line are hugely expensive for me now, although they were initially cheapest...but then wouldn't cover me with the LPG " underwriter wouldn't allow it".....another broker, same underwriter, no problem.

I am with Direct line.
I have just renewed it.
Might be best to ring them up to sort it.
Do be careful. I was with DL for several years with my LandRovers until I read somewhere that they will not insure you if you have a raised air intake. I phoned them to check (becuase I had one) and they stopped my insurance instantly. I tried explaining that it was not a modification, it was supplied new with LR branded components but they would not change their mind. I said that it was unfair and they could not just leave me without insurance and so they agreed i could have one week to find new insurance. That’s how I ended up with AF.

Back