• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What have you done to your Elgrand today?

This got rid of the clicking noises but my black 4wd Elgrand is rear wheel drive only now until I've put the front prop back on.
Did that with a Range Rover once, it was RWD for years before I put it back on.

Did that with a Range Rover once, it was RWD for years before I put it back on.
I know of a few with Rangerovers that have done that with no problems, and wouldn't expect any problems from that.

But some have tried running Rangerovers front wheel drive only after removing the rear prop and ended up breaking their transfer box viscous coupling.

I know of a few with Rangerovers that have done that with no problems, and wouldn't expect any problems from that.

But some have tried running Rangerovers front wheel drive only after removing the rear prop and ended up breaking their transfer box viscous coupling.
Why ever would you run FWD for any length of time, you'd get on with fixing the problem!

Fixed LPG systems on a couple of vehicles you won't be interested in

Dropped the front propshaft off my 2002 4wd Elgrand, been suspecting a problem with a UJ on the front prop for a while because there was an intermittent clicking noise from somewhere under the front that only occurred in certain over-run conditions and could be made to go away by switching from 2wd to 4wd. I let the symptoms develop to make identifying the problem component easier before removing any bits and had to wait until I had time between working on customer vehicles, but today I found time before I had to nip to hospital for an MRI scan. Found the problem before I'd even removed the prop, could make the same clicks by moving the rear of the front prop up and down, the problem is play in the front prop rear UJ.

Front prop removed
View attachment 57978

To remove the front prop the only other bit I had to remove was the undertray. Difficult to get a socket onto the 14mm hex headed prop bolts/nuts but I managed to get them all off using the ring end of a 14mm spanner and using the spanner on spanner trick to increase leverage. I reckon it too 200ft/lbs to crack the nuts off.

I could now buy new UJ's from BMR and fit them to my existing prop, price of UJ's yet to be confirmed by BMR, or buy a complete front prop from Stevemen for £35 if I collect.

This got rid of the clicking noises but my black 4wd Elgrand is rear wheel drive only now until I've put the front prop back on.
I ran my Jeep Cherokee with out the front prop for quite a while with no issues. At worst might throw a 4wd warning light. Hope nothing to serious for you with the MRI. I had one looking for health issues but come up clear.

Drove it, still love it.

If you don't turn around to look back at your car you've bought the wrong one 😏
Probably had about 30 different cars and some rather special but the Elgrand I still have to take a look back and smile.

Finished reassembling after the coolant change and went for a drive, all working perfectly so that's another job jobbed.

Now I have red coolant at least I will know that if I find a leak it'll be red for coolant a green for AC refrigerant.

Back