• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Underseal

@Winchester did mine last year, cracking job, probably to far away from you.
Hello

Thanks, that is helpful.

Where did you get yours done as I'm based in Hampshire and would like somewhere between Hampshire or North West London (where fit out is being done)?

I did find all the underseal threads and options are a bit confusing.

From what I have read, I think will just go with Dinitrol product, a full 3 to 4 day treatment but will look up Built Hamber product too?

Let me know if you can recommend a place?

Last edited:
Hello

Thanks, that is helpful.

Where did you get yours done as I'm based in Hampshire and would like somewhere between Hampshire or North West London (where fit out is being done)?

From what I have read, I think will just go with Dinitrol product, a full 3 to 4 day treatment but will look up Built Hamber product too?

I would suggest @Winchester. Not far at all from you. He is well known on here and is exceptionally knowledgeable. Look him up in the trade section.

Hello

Thanks, that is helpful.

Yep @Winchester should not be that far from you for the undersealing also, if you are considering rear cats being done then he is yer man as well 👍

Hi everyone, looking at underselling the Elgrand ASAP and doing the research thing called a few companies and I am about to book in. Just seen the Lanogaurd option, has anyone used it on here to offer a genuine opinion.
Anyone done Lanogaurd themselves? supposedly can be used over existing Waxoil etc.

Hi, I now have a E52 and need it doing however my local garages want to use Shultz but want a waxoyl job. Does anybody know of a garage in East Yorkshire that does it? I found a place at Kirbymoorside but after calling they have not got back to me.

Many thanks

The Elgrand was made for Japanese roads only. Due to their climate, they don't need to salt the roads and therefore they don't need to worry about underseal.

In the UK, however, this is NOT the case. Salt will eat away at the chassis and destroy your pride and joy from the inside out.

When you get a fresh import, buy from a dealer or buy privately... you MUST ensure the underseal has been done.

If buying privately, I would get it re-done no matter what the seller says, as it's sold as seen. But if you buy from a garage you will be protected by some sort of trading standards.

Underseal is basically a product that is applied to the underside of the vehicle that prevents the metal from rusting when it comes into contact with the salt and moisture on our roads. It is VITAL for a long and problem free life for you Elgrand.

There are many options available, starting at around £80 for an "in & out" service. Personally, I wouldn't touch these with a barge pole.

The best options seem to be around the £400 mark. This includes dropping your vehicle off with a garage for 3-4 days. One the first day, they thoroughly steam clean the underside of your vehicle. Second day they apply the first layer of the treatment and leave it to set over night. Day 3 they apply another coat and leave to set overnight. Then you collect on Day 4.

Also, please note that underseal is only temporary. It is not a lifelong product (unless you pay extra for a product that has a life long guarantee!). The quick £80 jobs should probably be done twice a year, at the very least, once a year.

The more expensive jobs should be topped up every 4-5 years. Speak to the professional who does your treatment for their advice as these time scales will vary depending on the product you are using.

I know a few people who are JDM car freaks who pay the £400 for a proper treatment, then £80 for an in and out treatment, and then go back and get the proper treatment re-done every other year. One thing for sure is that they will crash their cars before they rust!

Sorry I'm new to the site and i can see this is a very old thread but its confused me and left me wondering if i should or should not have my E51 S3 undersealed. The north of Japan gets meters of snow every year. Japan is in the northern hemisphere and has several top ski resorts that are drive in drive out if you whish. Are we saying Nissan never took that into account or that the Japanese don't use salt on their Icy snowed in roads.

Sorry I'm new to the site and i can see this is a very old thread but its confused me and left me wondering if i should or should not have my E51 S3 undersealed. The north of Japan gets meters of snow every year. Japan is in the northern hemisphere and has several top ski resorts that are drive in drive out if you whish. Are we saying Nissan never took that into account or that the Japanese don't use salt on their Icy snowed in roads.
Japan will use a little “grit” in bad areas but “never” salt

Winter tyres are compulsory also.

Thanks guys that helps with the decision on underseal or not.

I also thought it was pretty common for all Japanese cars to rust

Had a few over the years (not imports) and they all suffered. Reliable as hell and drive great but all seem to rust

I also thought it was pretty common for all Japanese cars to rust

Had a few over the years (not imports) and they all suffered. Reliable as hell and drive great but all seem to rust
Having had various imports over the year's, it's important to have the underside done properly...
Having spent my time fabricating & welding other people's cars due to neglect, I see looking after the vehicle's underbody before anything else...

IMG_20220909_164442357.jpgIMG_20220909_164434139.jpg
Owned the 2005 imported Subaru for 5 years, it's getting yearly "top up"

IMG_20220626_160031524.jpgIMG_20220630_133319979.jpg
Recently purchased 2004 Ellie having a good seeing to...🙃

Having had various imports over the year's, it's important to have the underside done properly...
Having spent my time fabricating & welding other people's cars due to neglect, I see looking after the vehicle's underbody before anything else...

View attachment 79771View attachment 79773
Owned the 2005 imported Subaru for 5 years, it's getting yearly "top up"

View attachment 79772View attachment 79774
Recently purchased 2004 Ellie having a good seeing to...🙃
Damn that looks clean 🙂

Can anyone recommend in the NW
Specifically in the greater Manchester area?

Any Recommendation for North east area please?

Was helping my father get a part off his 1987 Subaru pickup parts car today.
I remember him sending me under it as a kid with the waxoil.

What struck me was that a lot of the main structure was still solid due to the regular waxoiling.
Just a shame we never put any into the doors & wings.
If you’ve ever been around 80’s Subaru’s you’ll know what I mean.

I've found a place - preserveprotect - who sound like they know what they are doing, and been quoted £800 all in for an underseal. A week in the shop, for a thorough job.

They have described the job like this:

"
remove the wheels and plastic liners. We needle descale any flaking rust and fully steam clean the underside of the vehicle using a degreaser, from here we will treat the rust with rust convertor this is left to cure overnight.

The next stage is to Inject all sills and cavities with cavity wax.

The last stage is to treat the full underside with Underbody wax this is left to cure.

Price wise you’ll be looking at £800.00. With your style of vehicle we will carryout a double injection of cavity wax into all cavities for maximum protection.
"

do the underseal comes in black only?

Back