• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Underseal

Had mine done there last year. REALLY helpful & knowledgeable guys & did a fantastic job. They sealed the engine bay too, although that was £150 extra.
They do do, I recall, a couple of colours other than black - gold was one but can’t remember the others.
Their Raptor product is a 2 part epoxy coating that they can tint to any colour you wish.

Attachments

• ECC0CA97-BFF7-4DC0-973D-2BF6F77BE7B1.jpeg
    ECC0CA97-BFF7-4DC0-973D-2BF6F77BE7B1.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 28
  • B66033B2-3B16-40AC-A036-AAE03E37007D.jpeg
    B66033B2-3B16-40AC-A036-AAE03E37007D.jpeg
    474.9 KB · Views: 25
Looking for a bit of advice...

Took my newly imported van to a very reputable garage today to discuss them doing the underseal 'properly'.

The owner put it up on the ramp and as I suspected from my own previous inspection the job that's been done is a load of shite, with bits of muck / grass in the underseal and loads of bits missed or overcovered.

His advice is to remove the lot as best as can be and then reapply using dinitrol, he did explain as the job that's been done is so poor it's essentially doubled the labour (time to remove all old seal) and therefore double the price.

I'm looking at £1500 :scream:

That’s fully undersealed and cavity wax applied…

I aim to keep the van for many years to come and convert to a camper in the New Year, so I obviously want it right…

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Wow, that is very expensive, double that of a normal expensive.
I say that if the Normal clean before waxing doesnt shift it, it is sound and should be left in place and new stuff put on top.

His advice is to remove the lot as best as can be and then reapply using dinitrol, he did explain as the job that's been done is so poor it's essentially doubled the labour (time to remove all old seal) and therefore double the price
@Winchester , you do undersealing professionally and to a high standard. What do you reckon on whether there'd be a lot of extra labour in this scenario?

Last edited:
Might be worth shopping around for more quotes etc...if your planning on keeping it for the foreseeable future can you could justify the £1500 .. just seems a lot of expenditure..

Took my newly imported van to a very reputable garage today to discuss them doing the underseal 'properly'.

The owner put it up on the ramp and as I suspected from my own previous inspection the job that's been done is a load of shite, with bits of muck / grass in the underseal and loads of bits missed or overcovered.

His advice is to remove the lot as best as can be and then reapply using dinitrol, he did explain as the job that's been done is so poor it's essentially doubled the labour (time to remove all old seal) and therefore double the price.

I aim to keep the van for many yearo come and convert to a camper in the New Year, so I obviously want it right…

Thoughts?
I had a quote the other day £800 plus vat

@Winchester , you do undersealing professionally and to a high standard. What do you reckon on whether there'd be a lot of extra labour in this scenario?
Sounds a bit unnecessary to me to attempt to remove underseal, usually you can top up where it’s worn away or hasn’t been covered properly. I like waxoyl, as it can be topped up if required, and sticks very well to everything. I recommend removing any mud and grass with a stiff brush and apply the top up coat to a dry surface .
I use 10L of product, prep and go inside the sills etc… I charge £295 + vat. April to October.

I aim to keep the van for many years to come and convert to a camper in the New Year, so I obviously want it right…

Thoughts?
Hi,
I travelled from Bristol to Glasgow, a company called Preserve & protect as I was impressed what service they provide.
I was charged 800 pounds for a comprehensive 6 day job with Dinitrol stage by stage photo's of work ( check their website ) .
They fully steam clean, treat any rust, apply product on underside & pump inside cavities.
It was worth it, as I picked up the car it was minus 8 in Glasgow & lots of salt on road, screen washers were frozen until Carlyle.
Give em a call.

Sounds a bit unnecessary to me to attempt to remove underseal
Thanks, that’s my suspicion too, if it’s adhered then it should be sound. Plus getting it off is, I think, all but impossible really.

I bit the bullet yesterday and started applying cavity wax to the sills and pillars. Tomorrow it’s going up on my ramps and I’ll attend to any bits of underseal which are poor and do any box sections with wax. I discussed the quote with a pal yesterday and he said “for £1500 I’d want a lifetime guarantee” and I think he’s right…

I’m not going to be driving the van in winter really and it’s garaged year round so if I keep an eye on things all should be well.

I had to remove some body kit yesterday to start doing the cavity wax and the condition of the metal for the age of the vehicle is remarkably good. I’ve never seen anything like it…

Having had a VW in the past and spending hours freezing my arse off welding doors / panels I just don’t want any rust - I live in fear of it 😂

Sounds a bit unnecessary to me to attempt to remove underseal, usually you can top up where it’s worn away or hasn’t been covered properly. I like waxoyl, as it can be topped up if required, and sticks very well to everything. I recommend removing any mud and grass with a stiff brush and apply the top up coat to a dry surface .
I use 10L of product, prep and go inside the sills etc… I charge £295 + vat. April to October.
That's exceptionally good value for money. At that sort of price it's not worth getting all that shit in your eyes. 🤣

When I was looking for an Elgrand I saw quite a few with mentions of ‘corrosion protection package’ which apparently was part of the ’winter pack’.

I’ve looked all over for info on this and it’s apparently a myth, no Elgrands had this - anybody know any different?

I wish I had discovered @Winchester before I bought mine and before I paid someone a lot of £ to do a poor underseal job.
Too late now but I do enjoy the Ellie Ive got.

When I was looking for an Elgrand I saw quite a few with mentions of ‘corrosion protection package’ which apparently was part of the ’winter pack’.

I’ve looked all over for info on this and it’s apparently a myth, no Elgrands had this - anybody know any different?
There definitely is a winter/cold pack, but I don’t know if it includes underseal protection. Some Elgrands have better stone chip protection along the inner sills than others. But I’ve never seen full factory underseal, and I’ve seen many Elgrands.

There definitely is a winter/cold pack, but I don’t know if it includes underseal protection.
Safe to say undersealing wasn't an option. There's the factory options thread here:

https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/build-spec-codes-factory-options.3902/

Buried in that thread is:
COLD2 - cold region ( insulation hood, heated mirrors, HC [higher capacity?] battery).
COLD3 - cold region (heated mirrors, heated front seats)

No mention of underseal in that monster thread, nor in this awesome spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1YaOU-j8lsW6qquG9_CCINwfEwSd6XIhUxEIAs6M7_cc/htmlview

Some Elgrands have better stone chip protection along the inner sills than others.
Cheers, this is why I asked, the sill seams on mine (a 2005) have definitely been treated before it landed, it looks like black paint.

There is also a very rough textured skin on the inner sills which I’m assuming is sound deadening (that all Elgrands have?)

Back to the mythical factory underseal, If you look at this:

https://www.thecarwarehouse.co.uk/vehicle/1598/Nissan-Elgrand

They’re advertising it as having :

“a corrosion protection package which has extended protection unlike most Japanese cars.”

Last edited:
It looks nice.

Back to the mythical factory underseal, If you look at this:

They’re advertising it as having :

“a corrosion protection package which has extended protection unlike most Japanese cars.”
Oooh, interesting!

Their reference # of 011833 looks like a chassis number... It's 4WD so let's put the NE51- prefix onto it, and plug it into epc-data.com

https://Nissan.epc-data.com/Elgrand/ne51/6894-vq35de/?frame_no=NE51-011833&ref=

Frame / SeriesNE51 / E51body5K (5-door coach )engineVQ35DE (3500 gasoline )drive4WD (four-wheel drive )
Production month10.2002seating capacity7P (7-seater )gradeXLtransmissionAT (AT )
Interior colorSBody color3X1Spec codeCOLD2

The only option listed is the COLD2 pack, but it's also 4WD and an XL (ie the posh one) so loads of stuff will have come as standard.

Some of the bazillion photos they provided show the (gorgeous condition) underside clearly... @Winchester, is this looking like it has 'extended protection'?

(Sorry if this is tedious but I like a mystery)

1671120819-6c859ad1-8074-4902-874b-dd8cfdccb675.jpeg
1671120839-db5f4b5b-9877-43c5-8658-29b289d80f98.jpeg
1671120829-08487a15-88ee-4c8a-994d-bd5af7b8b437.jpeg

Back