• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 The E51 Catalytic Converter Problem

Hi Adrian you’ve saved my sanity, I can’t tell you the hassle I’ve had with these cats , unfortunately I don’t know how to do a pm , regards Bob
Ok no problem, I’ll send you a private message (pm) it will appear on the envelope icon at the top of the page. It just keeps your information and conversion private.

Hi there,

I have new owner of an used E51 (ME51 - YOM 2007 - 125,000 km).
Since it has some mileage, I wanted to check cats but I was told by mechanician that removing cats in E51 will trigger engine light.

Can someone confirm if cats can be removed on my ME51 without triggering the engine light.

Thanks a lot!!

Rears? That’s not true - theres no sensors on the rears as far as I’m aware.

Fronts? There are lambda sensors just before them so I suppose they could get damaged if a 200lb gorilla was working on them. Fronts are next to impossible to access without dropping the engine. When I had my front cats replaced with sports cats - the company I used do elgrands so managed to remove them without dropping engine, but took a few hrs to do.

Other peeps on here have decored the fronts by drilling holes and smashing its guts out, but personally I wouldn’t go down that route given how close they are to the engine (debris could fall down into the centre box and rattle around in there too). Also it’s not very environmentally friendly to smash the cores to bits.

Removing the rear cats does not effect emissions or produce EML.

There are no sensors on the rear cats

Thanks for confirming that.

Yes Bob, I’ve always got sets ready to send out, send me a pm with your details and I’ll get a set organised, regards Adrian
Hi Adrian
Just got my e51 yesterday and am interested in the de-cat /de-cored for my vehicle but would be worried about driving to Winchester
After reading the potential issues, what are the options for me? , is there any way of knowing the state of the rear cats i have ?

Gobi, I was advised to buy an endoscope to have a look... Don't buy a cheap one! Had my AN97 for a week and still can't get it working on phone.. for £6.99 I expected it to work?

Hi Adrian
Just got my e51 yesterday and am interested in the de-cat /de-cored for my vehicle but would be worried about driving to Winchester
After reading the potential issues, what are the options for me? , is there any way of knowing the state of the rear cats i have ?

It’s unlikely to be in trouble straight away, especially if it’s a fresh import, if it’s not and you bought it from a dealer, it should have a warranty in any case. If you don’t want to drive it, I offer a mail order service, so you can get your local garage to fit them

Thanks for the reply Adrian, a bit green about all this,so it should be fine even though its done 93000 miles?
are these refurbished de cored like an empty cat where the wield is invisible ?

Thanks for the reply Adrian, a bit green about all this,so it should be fine even though its done 93000 miles?
are these refurbished de cored like an empty cat where the wield is invisible ?

Yes, completely empty and the weld is hidden under the heat shield.

Ok thanks again, do you supply the gaskets also?

The multi layer metal factory gaskets are fine to reuse... and better quality than any aftermarket gasket we have found.

Gobi, I was advised to buy an endoscope to have a look... Don't buy a cheap one! Had my AN97 for a week and still can't get it working on phone.. for £6.99 I expected it to work?
Thanks Dave

How did the recall fitting go ?

Has anyone in Australia had this problem or had their cats “seen to”? I’m just asking because if climatic difference is the source of issues, and it is UK owners that have had issues, are cars that are ‘fresh’ from Japan (with around 70k kms on the odo) and driving in sunny Qld likely to have issues?

I have been on here just shy of 3 years and not heard of any CAT issues in Australia, however I removed mine just to be safer. They were clean and clear. Of course in Australia the journeys are often longer than in the UK, not many five minute trips to the shops, and generally the weather is better, less LPG conversions, all of which could add up to reduced risks. Are you prepared to take the gamble ?

Back