• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Selector lever locked in P

Headbend

Active Newbie
Reaction score
First Name
David
Elgrand
Looking to buy
Embarrassing incident outside the doctors. I couldn't move the selector on my E51 out of Park. Came back to it after 10 minutes and it behaved ok. Anyone else had this problem? What might it be caused by?

Embarrassing incident outside the doctors. I couldn't move the selector on my E51 out of Park. Came back to it after 10 minutes and it behaved ok. Anyone else had this problem? What might it be caused by?
You do know that there’s a button next to the automatic gearshift that you push in ( use a key or something as it goes in deep) this will allow you to shift manually to reverse or go to drive, this is an emergency override, I am having the same problem with one of my motors and have had a few replies posted from other that may help you

I didn't know about the button! I'll try and find it tomorrow; thank you very much! I did go through the start up routine a few times: even got out and locked the door behind me! Of course, an override button would enable car to be moved at least. I've had the car three months now, and I absolutely love it!!

Zoom in you will see a wee black button just to the right of the gear shift your one will be located in the same area.

It’s so good when others give advice that some models the button is Red.

Last edited:
Many thanks. Its minus5°C outside, so I'll check it in the morning. But very relieved to have the info, thankyou.

My button is red on S1, you will need a pen or similar to push and hold it in while you move the gear stick. Also works if you accidentally turn the engine off still in drive and want to shift to park.

Thanks. I have the red shift lock button, but you don't mean that...?

I’ve always thought them badly named and really it’s shift unlock.

Ok. So holding that in with a pencil should work? I've never used it, but assumed it was to stop car hunting for gears when eg descending hills, or in slow traffic. Without a pencil !!

Yes, it will allow you to change gear if there’s a problem or ignition is off. Do press and hold the brake if your engine is running though, I’d hate for your Elgrand to shoot off and hit something!

You can hold the gearbox down gears on hills, that’s done by moving the lever across to + and - section on left then up and down to choose the gear which is then displayed in centre of speedo where it normally says D etc. Just move lever back sideways to normal position to resume full auto.

It’s also handy to get more power by selecting lower gear when overtaking.

I had the same problem in my wife suzuki swift. If I moved the shifter before pressing the brake pedal the lock wouldn't move.
So maybe you moved the shifter hard to the left just before you pressed the brake and jammed the mechanism slightly and by turning off the ignition reset the switch.

There is a close-up picture of the button you have to press

IMG_6464.JPG

Thanks. Shift lock, pressed in with a pencil, becomes shift unlock. Really very clever, these Japanese engineers!

Back