• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Refrigeration coolant cap

That will be your engine coolant. The cap has a dipstick but it's not always that easy to see the level.

It’s it anti freeze coolant and what colour ?
Thank you for replying

Yes, antifreeze. Nissan use green but you'll likely only find it at a Nissan dealer. I think the spec is non silicate OAT.

Yes, antifreeze. Nissan use green but you'll likely only find it at a Nissan dealer. I think the spec is non silicate OAT.
Thank you
I have Nissan Cube import and it’s red cap pink fluid so will get green for Elgrand

Thank you that will help
I’m wondering about my cube now it had pink in when I got it can this cause harm had no problems had her 16 months now 🤨

The colour doesn't always indicate the type of antifreeze. As long as you use the type recommended by the manufacturer you'll be fine. The green anti freeze that Nissan use is silicate free, as is the pink stuff. The most important thing is not to mix different types as this can lead to frothing and jelling.

Last edited:
The colour doesn't always indicate the type of antifreeze. As long as you use the type recommended by the manufacturer you'll be fine. The green anti freeze that Nissan use is silicate free, as is the pink stuff. The most important thing is not to mix different types as this can lead to frothing and jelling.

I am looking at changing the coolant in my NE51 at the moment. It has green cooland, most likely the original Nissan stuff. I understand that OAT is the type to use. Here, almost all OAT coolant is red, pink, or orange in colour.

Is it correct that I can use the OAT coolant, in this case red, to replace the existing Nissan green coolant (which is also OAT)?

I have already drained most of the original coolant, and then flushed out what I could with tap water. Do I really need to do multiple flushes or is the Nissan cooland already/definitely OAT so I won't have a problem?

Its annoying that they use green if its a silicate free OAT. A local supplier provides green coolant as well, which is now 'low silicate' OAT... which only confuses things. I figure that by changing to the red stuff it should be pretty clear that its silicate free OAT.

Some go for Prestone which is supposed to be compatible with anything.

Last edited:
Some go for Preston's which is supposed to be compatible with anything.
We don't have that here in Aus as far as I know.

The LLC (Long Life Coolant) mentioned in the JPNZ manual appears to be 'Nissan Green' "Genuine Nissan Fluid 999MP-AF000P Green L248SP Engine Coolant". The 999MP-AF000P appears to be the important bit.

The coolant I am trying to use says it meets "Nissan NES M5059". I can't quite figure out what that means.

Last edited:
We don't have that here in Aus as far as I know.

The LLC (Long Life Coolant) mentioned in the JPNZ manual appears to be 'Nissan Green' "Genuine Nissan Fluid 999MP-AF000P Green L248SP Engine Coolant". The 999MP-AF000P appears to be the important bit.

The coolant I am trying to use says it meets "Nissan NES M5059". I can't quite figure out what that means.
it needs a silicate and borate free coolant, which is what 999MP-AF00P is. The correct aftermarket stuff in Aus is for example penrite blue coolant.

Thanks. I ended up going with a Nulon or Penrite (can't remember which right now) Red OAT coolant. Which is annoying as the Nulon one says its Silicate free and the Penrite one seems to suggest it has Silicates. I think I read up on them a lot before making the plunge and I still wasn't 100% sure. I drained and flushed the system with fresh water a few times, so I suspect that no matter what I used would be okay in the end.

Its a bit annoying that the Nissan coolant is green, as anyone not thinking about it would use the normal green coolant, which may or may not be suitable depending on which company makes it and whether they have made it compatible.

Thanks. I ended up going with a Nulon or Penrite (can't remember which right now) Red OAT coolant. Which is annoying as the Nulon one says its Silicate free and the Penrite one seems to suggest it has Silicates. I think I read up on them a lot before making the plunge and I still wasn't 100% sure. I drained and flushed the system with fresh water a few times, so I suspect that no matter what I used would be okay in the end.

Its a bit annoying that the Nissan coolant is green, as anyone not thinking about it would use the normal green coolant, which may or may not be suitable depending on which company makes it and whether they have made it compatible.
The red one is not borate free just FYI. What that means in practice I have no idea.

Comma G30 is Glysantin based and is free of nitrites, amines, phosphates, silicates and borates.

Back