• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

My Elgrand drove perfect today!!!

heres another example, I went to start one of my bikes yesterday that has been sitting under cover for a while, when i pressed the start button it turned over slow (half speed) but luckily it started. i checked the voltage before hand and the battery was showing 12.2v. to some that number would say its full but thats not how battery's work.
just found this, worth a read.

heres another example, I went to start one of my bikes yesterday that has been sitting under cover for a while, when i pressed the start button it turned over slow (half speed) but luckily it started. i checked the voltage before hand and the battery was showing 12.2v. to some that number would say its full but thats not how battery's work.
According to the link 12.2V means a battery is 70% fully charged.. We'd expect a 70% charged battery to start the engine quite well if it's in good condition, or we'd expect the vehicle the battery is fitted on to benefit from having a bigger battery fitted? It's not just about voltage though, as a battery ages and suffers wear and tare it's ability to store charge can decrease and along with decreasing ability to store charge it's internal resistance rises and cold cranking amps decrease. We might fit a new 100amp hour battery that is rated at (say) 900CCA but as it ages it effectively becomes a smaller battery (say 70AH, then maybe 50AH, then maybe 30AH) with corresponding descrease of CCA even if open voltage seems normal. We could read a 'good' 12V by fitting a 9V PP3 square transistor radio battery in series with a couple of 1.5v C pencil batteries but it wouldn't start the car because it couldn't supply the CCA, instead when we turned the key to crank the engine we'd see the voltage fall to close to zero. The battery on your bike is at 12.2V but when you turn the key to start it if it won't start and the battery seems flat it'll be because the voltage falls well below 12.2V, if it remained at 12.2V it would start it.

Last edited:
According to the link 12.2V means a battery is 70% fully charged.. We'd expect a 70% charged battery to start the engine quite well if it's in good condition, or we'd expect the vehicle the battery is fitted on to benefit from having a bigger battery fitted? It's not just about voltage though, as a battery ages and suffers wear and tare it's ability to store charge can decrease and along with decreasing ability to store charge it's internal resistance rises and cold cranking amps decrease. We might fit a new 100amp hour battery that is rated at (say) 900CCA but as it ages it effectively becomes a smaller battery (say 70AH, then maybe 50AH, then maybe 30AH) with corresponding descrease of CCA even if open voltage seems normal. We could read a 'good' 12V by fitting a 9V PP3 square transistor radio battery in series with a couple of 1.5v C pencil batteries but it wouldn't start the car because it couldn't supply the CCA, instead when we turned the key to crank the engine we'd see the voltage fall to close to zero. The battery on your bike is at 12.2V but when you turn the key to start it if it won't start and the battery seems flat it'll be because the voltage falls well below 12.2V, if it remained at 12.2V it would start it.
yes I know all this but the point was when someone said his battery was showing 10.5v and it still starts. ive never seen a battery with that voltage start an engine !!! also someone asked is that the minimum for their van to start, a lot of people don't know much about their batterys and I was just trying to put him right, theirs a lot of misinformation going round on forums (and other platforms) i see it a lot on the bike forums I use.
yes ive had battery's showing 12.5v which is showing an almost fully charged battery but when the start button is pressed they barely turn over, and with a meter on the battery the voltage drop is quite a lot indicating a goosed battery. đź‘Ť

Did a 120 mile journey recently, no problems at all. Only done about 200 since owning it.

Not a negative but my e50 currently running like it's running on e50 fuel 🤣 That will change very soon though.

4x4 engaged, I pulled a friend's caravan out of a half wheel deep hole ... effortless and barely tapped the throttle or into the 246ft/lb torque available ❤️

Those arent kites , they polluted crab shells wrapped In seaweed whipped up by the breeze.

About a 300 mile round trip to Somerset/Devon/Dorset over Easter holidays. Had an AirBnB that was an old pump house in a valley, up a very steep windy little path. Thankfully, 4 wheel drive works (first time I've had to use it, and I really did HAVE to use it). So impressed. Effortless. Was very close with ground clearance on the way up/down at the bottom though, scraped the towbar very slightly the first time, so my boy recorded me next time.

Is it just me that noticed the flashing light on the tail bar and one out?
I saw it too, but didn't mention it in case it was something special I didn't know about, like the flashing brake lights on some Mercs when the ABS kicks in. 🤔

Hah, yeah good spot... There was indeed an intermittent flash on the two lights actually, they were LED bulbs. Tried some normal bulbs and they work fine again. Not sure if the bulbs were on their way out or if it's the power to the lights etc. I fixed it over the weekend though.

This chart is so valuable! Thanks for sharing.

Last week we drove to Grenoble and back - about 1200 miles round trip.

A few prayers were said but she sailed through, the km speedo finally felt right as well :)

Still cheaper than flying / trains for all the family even with tolls.

Phew!

Back